Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threeboot is now slightly more marginally possible than previously.
RE: Threeboot is now slightly more marginally possible than previously.
Signs of Life?

Yeah, looks like someone in Toei decided to milk BGC's 35th anniversary, so now they're releasing a vinyl set for the OST and a boxed set for the anime. Okay. Fine. Fair enough. Cheap to produce something like this, I imagine.

But I guess it's cause for optimism? A belated acknowledgement that they own the anime and can do things with it? Woo. One wonders if they're still gonna bother.

Also, some further notes I made and sort of forgot about:

1. Rereading the article, I see now that AIC wanted to not only continue Megazone, but remake parts 1 and 2. Apparently the press release had new artwork compared to when AIC had announced the plan back when they were still going it alone, so one assumes they got somewhere with that, are still working on it. So that's probably first priorty. Which is a shame, because Megazone always struck me as aggressively okay.

2. When I brought the link up on reddit, someone noted that the plan is probably to accumulate retro anime like AIC's catalog in a streaming service and reboot whatever was popular, market whatever merchandise would sell. That makes sense, actually. I mean, This is a thing. So there's a good chance, I think, that Toei is making a bunch of moves along the lines of Western media conglomerates to advance its own interests, expand its cultural power.

3. But I keep thinking what AIC has that's reboot-worthy in anyone's eyes. Tenchi will keep chugging forward, I imagine. That was probably part of the deal, to just fund Kajishima's endless parade of weird horny shit. And we did get a Battle Athletes anime last year.

On the other hand, the Battle Athletes Manga was a megacrossover with a whole bunch of really obscure OVA characters wedged into it. Was that a joke? Or does AIC want to revive Dangaioh and Genocyber and all the rest that most of us would rather forget? Wouldn't that be funny, a Shin Japan Heroes Universe where Blue Gender or Armitage has moments. It'd be like the "metaverse" for ageing otaku.

Edit 6/20: Several Youtube channels which kept up BGC vocal tracks have had those tracks removed, all from the first 4 OVAs. Mad Machine, for instance. I’m not sure why Toei decided to remove the specific tracks they did, and not just bring the hammer down on every track.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Threeboot is now slightly more marginally possible than previously. - by STMPD - 04-15-2022, 02:06 PM