Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida Criminalizes Protesting
Florida Criminalizes Protesting
Just signed yesterday was HB1 in the lesser state of Florida, the strongest anti-rioting, pro-law enforcement bill ever passed in America.  It has all kinds of fun effects:

* Anyone arrested for protesting cannot be granted bail until they personally appear in court, meaning a minimum overnight stay.
* Three or more people protesting and engaging in "disorderly conduct", legally qualifies as a "riot".
* Anyone convicted of rioting, now a third-degree felony, faces up to five years in prison and automatically loses their right to vote.
* Anyone protesting in a street is guilty of aggravated rioting, if they impede the progress of a vehicle in any way.
* Any vehicle driver who hits a protester is immune from prosecution for assault or even murder as a result of their driving.
* Municipalities are liable for any damage or injury caused in protests if they allow a protest to get violent.
* Municipalities cannot legally reduce funding for law enforcement agencies without special dispensation from the Governor.
* Defacing a Confederate monument will earn you 10 years in prison.
* Flordians vow to not end up like Portland, and make good on their vow.
* Florida now moves right above to Xinjiang in my list of fav vacation spots.

Have a few news sources: Rolling Stone; CBS News; NPR
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
RE: Florida Criminalizes Protesting
So, bets on how long before a case winds up in front of the Supreme Court?
(04-22-2021, 12:40 AM)Labster Wrote: * Any vehicle driver who hits a protester is immune from prosecution for assault or even murder as a result of their driving.

Let's see how long that lasts after a white college student gets hit by a car.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I eagerly anticipate a Promise Keepers rally or some Trumpistas getting rounded up under this measure... though it does sound like something that could be challenged on a constitutional basis, and I expect the ACLU or a similar group will be doing so right quick.
--
‎noli esse culus
I mean, you can still say what you want - your right to speech isn't impinged.

You just can't say it in a way that forces the authorities or the public at large to notice you.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
At that point Dartz the law can still run afoul of the First Amendment. Because if you can't force the government to notice your efforts, even if at a remove, are you capable of petitioning the government for a redress of grievances, as provided as a fundamental component to the right of free speech in the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States?

Rather thin grounds for a challenge I think, but still.
(04-22-2021, 05:30 PM)hazard Wrote: At that point Dartz the law can still run afoul of the First Amendment. Because if you can't force the government to notice your efforts, even if at a remove, are you capable of petitioning the government for a redress of grievances, as provided as a fundamental component to the right of free speech in the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States?

Rather thin grounds for a challenge I think, but still.

Well, they already have free-speech pens and stuff so you can say what you want --- far away from the people you want to hear it

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(04-22-2021, 02:13 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: So, bets on how long before a case winds up in front of the Supreme Court?

With this court, who knows?  Yesterday they said it was fine to sentence children to life in prison without the possibility of parole.  And even if they decide to uphold free speech this time, I would expect the limitation on municipal budgets to survive a court challenge.  States have pretty wide latitude to regulate their cities.  The idea that police budgets could not functionally be decreased is still fairly pernicious.

(04-22-2021, 05:11 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: I eagerly anticipate a Promise Keepers rally or some Trumpistas getting rounded up under this measure... though it does sound like something that could be challenged on a constitutional basis, and I expect the ACLU or a similar group will be doing so right quick.

Why would the police arrest them when it's always clear that the Antifa side started the riot?  These are laws that are very easy to enforce against whatever side the police favors.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto