Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Election - Thread #1
RE: 2024 Election - Thread #1
Illinois judge kicks Trump off primary ballot for being an insurrectionist
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Well whaddaya know. Illinois hates Illinois Nazis too.
--
‎noli esse culus
Nikki Haley gets a primary win. This makes her the first woman to win a primary, ever.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
So, the SDOTUS handed down the ruling we all expected - throwing the 14th amendment back to Congress, who had previously said "No, this is a matter for the courts" and furth4er saying that no state can use it in elections for a federal position - and as a unanimous decision, even if the statements of the usually more liberal members have some pretty spicy wording for a legal document.

This coming just a couple of days after agreeing to hear the ridiculous "absolute immunity" appeal and setting an unreasonably long lead up before starting that, and it's now very clear that the far right has seized that court as well. It's disgusting and I haven't been this ashamed to be an American since... no, not even Bush Jr., the Trumpniks have completely outdone both Shrubs combined. It's taken me a day and a half to calm down enough about it to even write coherently on the topic, and I don't have a link because I don't want to get fired up again. It's all over the major news outlets anyway.

Checks and balances are dead, and the voting public as a whole has always been a flock of idiot sheep running at the call of the dog who barks the loudest, so basically "fall of the Roman Empire" time this century I guess. Only at least Nero played his violin while Rome burned, instead of sitting around eating fast food and calling the rioters "wonderful people."
--
‎noli esse culus
This is definitely the darkest timeline.

(03-05-2024, 11:21 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Checks and balances are dead, and the voting public as a whole has always been a flock of idiot sheep running at the call of the dog who barks the loudest, so basically "fall of the Roman Empire" time this century I guess. Only at least Nero played his violin while Rome burned, instead of sitting around eating fast food and calling the rioters "wonderful people."

I think your weakness in Roman History is showing here, since Nero, despite ruling like a tyrant, didn't hasten the fall of the Roman Empire — it marked the end of the Julio-Claudian dynasty and the chaos of the Year of the Four Emperors, but nothing so troubling like the Crisis of the Third Century.

I think the best parallel is to Sulla's role in the end of the Roman Republic. Although Sulla was using dictatorial powers to try to do the right thing, rather than enrich himself, what he did was weaken republican norms enough that the next dictator could sieze power for the rest of his life. And that was a young Julius Caesar, whom you may have heard of. Trump is dumber than all of these people (who throws away a hegemony?), but all of these rulings and practices established to suit him have made it much more likely for the next, more competent dictator to succeed.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(03-05-2024, 11:21 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: ... so basically "fall of the Roman Empire" time this century I guess. ...

Ideas: The Never-Ending Fall of Rome

Set aside an hour to listen to it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I'll admit that my interest in history largely begins with flying things, though I usually fact check myself better before actually posting anything. I was (and am still) upset and and so did a hand jive while tossing out some vaguely history-like words to convey feeling. My bad.
--
‎noli esse culus
So... super Tuesday (no cape!) has come and gone, and Haley took one state out of fifteen. There's no way short of a huge number of faithless electors or her opponent dropping out of the race (one way or another) that she can win the electoral college now. Press conference scheduled for a few hours from when I posted this.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:or her opponent dropping out of the race (one way or another)

Don't forget that if the Supreme Court rules that the President is actually a king of the sort unseen in Europe for more than a century, they are authorizing Biden to use assassination to protect the election...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(03-06-2024, 08:06 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Don't forget that if the Supreme Court rules that the President is actually a king of the sort unseen in Europe for more than a century, they are authorizing Biden to use assassination to protect the election...

I hate to say it, but... That's what your Second Amendment is for: taking up arms against somebody who you see as a despot. Actually doing so would wreck your country, but it's in your written Constitution.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
then again, leaving the despot in power would also wreck the country, so ...
The problem with that principle is that the Democrats are the party afraid of big scary guns, so any shenanigans in that direction are likely to go the far-right way. Which is why I'm for protecting the second amendment and rolling back or expanding some of the lefties' pet legislation there, even if almost every other issue sees me more or less in the liberal camp.
--
‎noli esse culus
(03-06-2024, 09:17 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-06-2024, 08:06 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

I hate to say it, but... That's what your Second Amendment is for: taking up arms against somebody who you see as a despot. Actually doing so would wreck your country, but it's in your written Constitution.

No it's not.

The Second Amendment is not at all meant for individual citizens taking up arms against their own government.

Keep in mind the full text of the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States; "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

This isn't talking about 'you can murder people for being despots', this is talking about 'we need to make sure that if we must call for a militia to defend their state/nation they can arm themselves properly'. And to no small extent it's a fossil piece of legislation, because the intended purpose of the militia has long been replaced by the army of the United States and the various states' National Guards.
"the militia of the United sStates" is defined earlier in the document as every able-bodied man between... I think it was eighteen and forty? It's not about the semi-organised club-style groups (with cultish implications) we think of when using the word today.
--
‎noli esse culus
And defending the state, back when the first ten amendments were passed, included defending it against the King.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, Media Matter's Guide to Project 2025, the extreme right-wing agenda for the next Republican administration
----
Web Home