Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXI
(08-22-2021, 05:59 PM)robkelk Wrote: Now I'm trying to figure out just what it is that you want to do. Your first post looked to me that you wanted to get rid of an entire set of categories, but your most recent post (as of this posting) makes it look like yu want to keep them and automate the assignment of them.

So... pretend you're talking to upper management, please. What do you want to do here?

Well, the subcategories like Film/Heartwarming, from where I and Brent are sitting, are an inherited artifact of how PmWiki indexing was converted to MediaWiki categories, and given there is little reason to believe such things would be used by us, I wanted to just toss them as superfluous.

You countered that people might be upset to not have them, hence my offering solutions to keep them around for that eventuality.

Me, I'm ultimately fine with whatever is decided on, but I'd prefer, speaking for myself only, to toss them as superfluous. I'd keep their actual content pages as a dumping ground for unsorted examples (unless they have none, then I'd redirect them to the main category index for Awesome/Funny/Heartwarming/etc. 

However, keeping in mind I don't speak for everyone, we might wish to retain them, so whatever is deemed most appropriate by the majority, either toss or retain in some manner, I will happily accept and help implement. I'd just prefer to have an answer on the topic because until we get this answered, a lot of cleanup I wish to do either way is frozen until we resolve this.

P.S. - It would be trivial to automate the Lua subpage modules at any time if we need to, so that can be done regardless how we decide on this should we wish to re-add the categories in question here at a later date.

Also, Brent and I have apparently figured out the WikiForum link bug. The URL nomenclature appends a period to the end of the URLs. On the wiki, it understands this, but off the wiki, the period is stripped out by other web services as a non-legit part of the URL, thus breaking the link.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXI - by GethN7 - 08-22-2021, 06:07 PM