Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian election, 2021
Canadian election, 2021
Exclamation 
It isn't official, but word on the street in the Parliamentary Precinct is that the writ will be dropped on Sunday.

Canadians can expect a federal election on Sept. 20: sources

Quote:Dissolution of Parliament is not automatic and Gov. Gen. Mary Simon could say no — although that would be a rare move out of line with parliamentary tradition.

As for the $64,000 question:

Quote:Elections Canada said it expects as many as five million mail-in votes this time around, compared to fewer than 50,000 in the 2019 election.

Perrault said mail-in ballots will not be counted until the day after the election.

Yeah, "Elections Canada". Federal elections are run by professionals up here.

It's pretty obvious that this one's being fought on the pandemic... at least to begin with.

Copying from the COVID thread in General:

Canadian federal government to require vaccinations for all federal public servants, Crown corporation employees, employees of other federally regulated businesses, and air, train, and cruise ship passengers

"Soon". So, basically, one's options in Canada are about to be "get the shots" or "stay home". Assuming they get re-elected. (Greyhound stopped operating in Canada last year, so don't expect to be able to take a bus anywhere.)

The Liberals have chosen one heck of a platform plank there.

Conservatives drop Yukon candidate, citing opposition to 'public health guidelines'

Quote:A statement from Smith's campaign office goes a step further, saying that "The reason behind the disallowing of Smith's candidacy is his opposition to calls for implementation of mandated workplace vaccinations and vaccine passport requirements in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Canadian election, 2021
I know I was disappointed to find out that it is apparently legal for the candidates to campaign before the writ is dropped.

Especially when I found out by a having a Conservative campaigner going door-to-door. Who even goes door-to-door during a pandemic?
-Now available with copious trivia!
Now it's official.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-13-2021, 02:11 PM)nocarename Wrote: I know I was disappointed to find out that it is apparently legal for the candidates to campaign before the writ is dropped.

Especially when I found out by a having a Conservative campaigner going door-to-door. Who even goes door-to-door during a pandemic?

Conservatives, right?

Actually I went door-to-door in California's recall campaign yesterday, but mainly just to drop off propaganda.  I only talked to people if they were outside.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
All the ways you can vote in the 2021 federal election

At the poll, advance voting, mail-in ballots, and the other way. EDIT: And how to vote if you aren't actually living in Canada but you're still a citizen.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, the minority government under Trudeau the younger lasted longer than expected.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
If I have to read all of this, so does everybody else.

Consider it a peek inside the sausage factory.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The Conservatives have released their platform.

For a party that kept saying they didn't want an election now, they're remarkably ready for one.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Twitter adds warning label to tweet from Liberal candidate
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Key dates in the election

Including the last day one can request a mail-in ballot.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
With high hopes and low expectations, Canada's minor political parties are fighting on

The article doesn't cover all 20 parties, though.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Radio-Canada's deep-dive interviews with 5 party leaders delivers more than canned answers
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, this must have been embarrassing...

First Nations leaders endorse Liberal candidate while at an NDP event
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I definitely understand endorsing one of your own people. But if he gets re-elected, guess who is moving to the very top of his shit list.
It would seem that in politics, hindsight is not 20/20, as I'm sure someone has made a critical blunder like this in the past.
Will COVID-19 vaccine passports affect my ability to vote?

tl;dr: No.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Party platforms in a nutshell

At least, the six front-running parties.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Why you can't vote online in the 2021 federal election

tl;dr: Paper ballots can't be hacked.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I voted this weekend, the advanced voting place was within walking distance, the election day voting location is much further away. Wink

and really, I could use the exercise. ;p
Voting day today. (I should have posted this earlier.)

EDIT: Live results in brief - check after 8PM Eastern for the earliest results.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well... A little bit of deck-chair rearrangement, an implosion of the Green Party (not surprising given their publicized infighting earlier this year), and the usual first-past-the-post result of the percentages of the popular vote not matching the percentages of the number of candidates elected. And there are some close races still in question that are waiting for the mail-in ballots to be counted. Otherwise Parliament looks remarkably like it did before the election was called.

EDIT: And this is what the local radio station is playing immediately after announcing the results:

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
blows dust off thread

Every party except one supports mandatory vaccination of Members of Parliament before they're allowed to take their seats in Parliament. That one holdout party is making a big noise in accusing the other parties of making vaccination a wedge issue.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here's the problem... if vaccination is the most important thing to do to finally get out of the pandemic, unless voluntary vaccinations are over 90%, then it, unfortunately, makes sense that vaccination becomes a legal requirement to participate, because unfortunately, you can't rely on enough people requiring it to socialize with them.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
If they feel so strongly about it, they don’t have to go to Parliament. Sinn Fein has been doing it for years now in the occupied territory. Or is it just posturing?

Seriously, if the Conservatives are going to take a stand for such a stupid issue, their opposition should be inflexible. It’s not like they will gain votes by being more pro-virus, and the beginning of a session isn’t the time to show weakness.
Opinion: On election day, I greeted people who voted for parties that hate people like me

No tl;dr - it's worthwhile reading the entire column.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown