Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] Is Nanoha Takamachi on the Autism Spectrum?
RE: [RFC] Is Nanoha Takamachi on the Autism Spectrum?
This thing all started when I noted that BA wrote a lot of passages where people try to analyze their own feelings. And that a passage he wrote for Sakura Kinomoto seemed OOC where it would be in character for Nanoha. And that Nanoha has never seemed like a child to me — even less so than Negi Springfield. Even some of the ridiculously talented grade-schoolers of CLAMP Academy aren’t so hyper focused as she.

When you get someone who is significantly not neurotypical and extremely good at some, ahem, arcane discipline, autism is a reasonable assumption. From there, though, it’s a matter of taste. You framed the question in the Watsonian, but in the Doylist perspective it becomes two questions: did the writers write Nanoha intentionally autistic? And is her character written in such a way that you as a fanfic writer can interpret her as autistic without going OOC? I think the answer to the second question is yes. Even if it’s not canon, there’s value in interpreting characters as like yourself. Just ask Xena fans.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: [RFC] Is Nanoha Takamachi on the Autism Spectrum? - by Labster - 08-27-2021, 11:59 PM