Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
Previous thread is here.

Starting new thread with specific topic at hand.

No, wait, I have one. Did LiberaChat ever get back to us?

And a couple others: The Patron Saint of the Four-Kilobyte Run-On Sentence, EmberFist, hasn't posted anything since Rob undid his undoing of grammar fixes about two weeks ago. In case he does come back, I just want to reiterate that folks let Rob or me handle anything they contribute that's longer than three words.

And I note that it's now been almost a week since NormAtreides' ban expired, and he has yet to make a re-appearance in the wiki. Could we possibly be so lucky that he has forgotten about us and has found some other benighted site that needs its coverage of El Presidente Trump sanitized to the standards laid down by the Ministry of Truth?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
(09-01-2021, 01:11 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Previous thread is here.

Starting new thread with specific topic at hand.

No, wait, I have one.  Did LiberaChat ever get back to us?

And a couple others:  The Patron Saint of the Four-Kilobyte Run-On Sentence, EmberFist, hasn't posted anything since Rob undid his undoing of grammar fixes about two weeks ago.  In case he does come back, I just want to reiterate that folks let Rob or me handle anything they contribute that's longer than three words.

And I note that it's now been almost a week since NormAtreides' ban expired, and he has yet to make a re-appearance in the wiki.  Could we possibly be so lucky that he has forgotten about us and has found some other benighted site that needs its coverage of El Presidente Trump sanitized to the standards laid down by the Ministry of Truth?

No, LiberaChat never did. If anyone else wants to take a shot at getting their attention, be my guest.
Left-alignment in infoboxes: The page history goes and rebuilds the pages with the current Infobox code, alas, so I can only provide a current example.

Note that the title is centered correctly, but the image and its caption are not.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Okay, it turns out that hitting the Purge button did the trick of getting the subpages to populate in WMG - no extra messing around needed.

If you guys have been keeping an eye on things, you'll see that I've nearly gutted "Open 2" since maybe half of that was speculation on Magical Record Lyrical Nanoha Force.

But let's hold off on merging it with "Open 1" for now.  I'm working my way backwards through the continuity of the Nanoha universe, so there's still a lot to export to their appropriate works.
Alright, looks like that does it for Nanoha Force. If anyone would like to check up on my work, I'd appreciate it.

In other news: a glitch to report.

In some skins like Cosmos, the "dropdown menus" - particularly that long list of items under the "Create New Page" menu - tend to get cut off by the skin itself on short pages like stubs. You can imagine how infuriating this can be when trying to flesh out said stubs. No amount of adjusting the zoom on the page fixes this since the style sheet just scales with the zoom level.
(09-01-2021, 03:34 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Alright, looks like that does it for Nanoha Force.  If anyone would like to check up on my work, I'd appreciate it.

In other news: a glitch to report.

In some skins like Cosmos, the "dropdown menus" - particularly that long list of items under the "Create New Page" menu - tend to get cut off by the skin itself on short pages like stubs.  You can imagine how infuriating this can be when trying to flesh out said stubs.  No amount of adjusting the zoom on the page fixes this since the style sheet just scales with the zoom level.

Sounds like we need to adjust the CSS somewhat. If you know how to use inspect element on the browser, you can figure out what the correct settings are to fix the issue and let me know, I can easily implement a sitewide fix.
Is somebody tinkering with Infobox? Because it's now broken.

Note the "Written by" line here - those should be showing as a link and a category, not as plain text.

EDIT: Never mind - that one was my own fault, for including markup in the field. False alarm.

Attached Files
.jpg   Screenshot 2021-09-01 171204.jpg (Size: 21.69 KB / Downloads: 162)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I know how to use inspect element, but I don’t know how to see what exactly the issue is. The most I can do with my skills is take a scene shot of the issue in action and post it here. And that will have to wait until later since I’m at work now.
(09-01-2021, 05:51 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I know how to use inspect element, but I don’t know how to see what exactly the issue is. The most I can do with my skills is take a scene shot of the issue in action and post it here. And that will have to wait until later since I’m at work now.

If the weather clears up tomorrow I'll take a look at it myself.
Okay, update on two things.

One, looked into the Cosmos issue, the skin was scrunching up and the header bar needed to be expanded. Dunno if it works on really small monitors well, but it seems to work fine on mine.

Also, Monaco skin had an issue where you couldn't click on your user bar links due to elements overlapping them. Fixed this too, again, seems to work fine. Not really happy with how it looks, but everything works fine and all elements are readable, which is the important thing. Let me know if there are further issues.
I've got a nice big monitor (although it's becoming standard for desktops), so I'm not in the best position to tell. Could somebody with a smaller monitor check my use of tabber on "Gundam", please?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-03-2021, 08:42 AM)robkelk Wrote: I've got a nice big monitor (although it's becoming standard for desktops), so I'm not in the best position to tell. Could somebody with a smaller monitor check my use of tabber on "Gundam", please?

If by smaller you mean a 1080p 24 inch tv. Then it looks OK, I think the tabs need to be more visually distinguished and there should be should spacing between the tabs and the first line. [Image: f7Wy71h.png]
"Bigger" and "Smaller" are relative things in computer monitors.  In the case of how a web page is displayed, what really counts is what resolution you're running at.  And you can adjust that temporarily to a smaller resolution in order to test things.

On the front for the MSLN WMG cleanup:

It looks like the WMGs that relate directly to ViVid are gonna be pretty small in number.  In this case, should we have it all be on one page without subfolders, and just use a heading to split it up into "Open", "Confirmed", and "Jossed"?

Also, given what Rob has done with Gundam, may I suggest we also apply Tabber to the various works in the Nanoha media franchise?
(09-03-2021, 12:53 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: "Bigger" and "Smaller" are relative things in computer monitors.  In the case of how a web page is displayed, what really counts is what resolution you're running at.  And you can adjust that temporarily to a smaller resolution in order to test things.

It looks like the WMGs that relate directly to ViVid are gonna be pretty small in number.  In this case, should we have it all be on one page without subfolders, and just use a heading to split it up into "Open", "Confirmed", and "Jossed"?

Also, given what Rob has done with Gundam, may I suggest we also apply Tabber to the various works in the Nanoha media franchise?

I'm not hostile to you having such an arrangement per WMG or the Nahoha franchise, we have the functionality; naturally prioritising creating a page for each unique work per the latter suggestion.

I remember using Tabber in regards to Hardware for games consoles on ATT, such as the DS:
[Image: 0MZOnKJ.png]
(09-03-2021, 12:53 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: "Bigger" and "Smaller" are relative things in computer monitors.  In the case of how a web page is displayed, what really counts is what resolution you're running at.  And you can adjust that temporarily to a smaller resolution in order to test things.

May as well, and may as well, respectively.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Wfv9jbrpuw45kf6x

Can anyone help source this work?
(09-03-2021, 10:56 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Wfv9jbrpuw45kf6x

Hrm.

We may wanna put out feelers to other troping websites, because someone was quite.... prolific in spreading the word about this fic.

Also, I can't seem to find this KIKEN that the fic is supposed to be a successor to... though one site actually has it the other way around: that KIKEN is the successor to AVNA.  Curiouser and curiouser.

The fic's author, EPIC, has a user page on TVTropes, but as I don't have an account there, I can't tell if this person has any recent activity or not.
(09-04-2021, 01:23 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 10:56 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Wfv9jbrpuw45kf6x

Hrm.

We may wanna put out feelers to other troping websites, because someone was quite.... prolific in spreading the word about this fic.

Also, I can't seem to find this KIKEN that the fic is supposed to be a successor to... though one site actually has it the other way around: that KIKEN is the successor to AVNA.  Curiouser and curiouser.

The fic's author, EPIC, has a user page on TVTropes, but as I don't have an account there, I can't tell if this person has any recent activity or not.

KIKEN does exist: https://www.fictionpress.com/s/2668369/1...ARUHANASHI; I was able to quantify that at the time, just haven't been able to get grasp of the AVNA work. I also do not have a TVT account.
DuckDuckGo: The only hits for "Gundam AVNA" are trope wikis.

Fanfiction.net: No hits for "AVNA" or "Gundam AVNA"

The work page says "its author, TVTroper EPIC"

TVTropes page "Tropers / EPIC" has a list of launched pages, but doesn't list this page.

Conclusion: Probably TVT tomfoolery.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here's a bot job for somebody with a working bot...

If page contains "Category:Pages Needing Elevator Pitches"
and page has a Laconic subpage
then copy the contents of the Laconic subpage, minus the header and footer, to the value for elevator pitch in either Template:infobox book or Template:infobox episode as appropriate
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-04-2021, 04:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: Here's a bot job for somebody with a working bot...

If page contains "CategoryTongueages Needing Elevator Pitches"
and page has a Laconic subpage
then copy the contents of the Laconic subpage, minus the header and footer, to the value for elevator pitch in either Template:infobox book or Template:infobox episode as appropriate

That would better be done manually. You could just bot job transclusion of said page, but it's hard to filter out certain content that way.
Done a laconic of Dianetics, let me know if it's not too much a stretch.
Looks okay to me.

I've added some text to the description of Fan Convention, going from this to this. If it still needs a better description, somebody else move it to the Trope Workshop, please.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I am so tempted to paint the medium and put the first nine entries on "The Brady Bunch/Characters" into a three-by-three grid... but that might be difficult to read on a cellphone screen.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Another possible bot run:
  • Anything with Category:Film and Category:Aeni needs Category:Animated Films
  • Anything with Category:Film and Category:Anime needs Category:Animated Films
  • Anything with Category:Film and Category:Eastern Animation needs Category:Animated Films
  • Anything with Category:Film and Category:Western Animation needs Category:Animated Films

Some of these pages already have Category:Animated Films, but some don't.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown