Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
It could use one, so why not?

Meanwhile, I'm looking to see if we have a couple possible tropes. I've searched for what seem like the most likely names along with a number of variants, with no luck, so I'm raising the question here.

The first is "Exotic Clientele". An otherwise normal establishment has a weird customer base, often for no apparent reason. Callahan's Bar was this in the first dozen stories or so until the metaplot showed up. Dr. Tofu's clinic in Jack Staik and Lady Tesser's "Tales of Ranma and Ranko" has a "night shift" when he gets patients like tentacle monsters, talking dogs, succubi, vampire potatoes and Wakko Warner.

The other is "Worthy Successor", in which a character acknowledged to be exceptional in their field dubs another as their successor, to receive all their tools and references, to continue their work when they move on or die. The evaluation of the successor often includes some sort of secret test of character, and sometimes a willingness to set themselves up as a competitor to the original character.

Do any of these sound familiar, or do I have to start drafting up some new trope candidates?

Thanks.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII - by Bob Schroeck - 09-22-2021, 07:28 AM