Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Really Fic Recs Alpha: Fics that make you go "hmm."
RE: Not Really Fic Recs Alpha: Fics that make you go "hmm."
I have similar feelings about the Daniel the Black series by E. William Brown (perhaps better known in these parts for his fan fiction handle ShaperV).

It's an Isekai into a setting with kitchen sink mythology. I like mythology and appreciate all the little (and not so little) references in the setting.

I also enjoy the idea that the same skills that make you a good computer programmer make you awesome at magic. He's not the first person to employ that conceit, but he does it well.

But there are more questionable parts.

There's the polygynous relationship with an unbalanced power dynamic. Well, that often comes with the male empowerment fantasies you find in the Isekai genre.

There's the strawman arguments against feminism that comes up as women join his harem.

The bit I found most painful was before our hero gets sent to the other world, there's a blink and (if you're lucky) miss it line where the narrator tells us that racism doesn't exist in contemporary America.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not Really Fic Recs Alpha: Fics that make you go "hmm." - by VincentUrsus - 09-21-2021, 06:57 AM