Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I ranked every episode of OG BGC. And ADP Files. And BGCrash. And two other OVA's.
RE: I ranked every episode of OG BGC. And ADP Files. And BGCrash. And two other OVA's.
(10-16-2021, 05:24 AM)Labster Wrote: Wait wait, there's a BGC Holiday Special?  What did Nene and Linna do for Life Day?  Holee shit.

I haven't seen anything past the 8 OVAs, based on general fan advice.  But it seems like the setting and characters were always stronger than the stories that they told with them.  Honestly some of the fic I've read has far better storytelling, even if it tends to get a little less grimdark.  And to be fair, Bob's animation department is virtually non-existent.  Bad animation isn't the worst sin, though.  I've watched a lot of Lupin III and half of the early episodes are like "maybe they won't notice if we replay this off-model clip three times?"  And then every once in a while Hayao Miyazaki directs an episode and your jaw drops.

What was I talking about?  Oh right, I haven't seen all of them, so I can't completely judge your rankings, but they seem right.  I probably would have put Moonlight Rambler at the top just because it's more memorable for me.  And of course the first seven minutes of Tinsel City.  Seriously, I'd sing "Konya wa Hurricane" in karaoke if they actually had it in American bars.

A: I always thought it was the other way around with BGC fanfiction - as per the standards of nineties pop culture in the west, every thing was darker n' edgier and also kind of took agency from the less angsty four Sabers in exchange for OC's with little going for them. Heck, that's my main criticism of Grand Mal. Bob's stuff is less grimdark than the main series, but Drunkard's Walk is the exception not the rule.

B: Crash's episodes 1 and 2 actually are okay in the storytelling department - far sillier and super-sentai than the original series, and yes the animation quality isn't so great, but there are good ideas for plot and character in there, plus some good mecha design (Nene gets functional weapons! NENE GETS FUNCTIONAL COMBAT ABILITIES!). I would actually recommend watching them, but skipping Melt Down.

C: Rambler as more memorable than Vision... huh. You're not wrong, I guess, people talked about Sylvie in fic more than they ever did with Reika. But I think you get the sense of why I put Double Vision up at the top, right? Because it's the most consistently paced and well put-together episode, the one which expresses Crisis as a whole at its best (It may not have as memorable of an opening as Tinsel City, but Tinsel City also has Nene and Sylia ride the bus in hardsuits, a move which took me out of the episode pretty early on pretty hardcore). And to top it all off Masami Obari's mech designs in 5&6 are just too fabulous for words, the HyperBoomers in Red Eyes look like goddamn Pillar Men whereas Reika's GD-42 feels more consistent with established machinery like the Combat and Battle Boomers... yeah. I see what you're getting at, though. I think.
Quote:No joy for "Konya wa Hurricane"... but he can set you up with "Say, Yes!"
Hey, that's the guy who translated that one audio drama where the Sabers had to go on daytime TV! No really!
I don't suppose there's a chance in hell he could ever get around to finishing that little project? 'Cause you sound like you know him?

Messages In This Thread
RE: I ranked every episode of OG BGC. And ADP Files. And BGCrash. And two other OVA's. - by STMPD - 10-18-2021, 05:13 PM