Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I ranked every episode of OG BGC. And ADP Files. And BGCrash. And two other OVA's.
RE: I ranked every episode of OG BGC. And ADP Files. And BGCrash. And two other OVA's.
(10-20-2021, 08:37 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

https://youtu.be/EP2GMyQdw78

Do it, but get the other chibi-Sabers in there. Maybe Kanna-chan from Kobayashi, too?

Quote:I just to say nice read. could not finish it but a nice read. Love the idea of tossing in riding bean there...though you should have done gunsmith cats also since they also are by the writer of bean and set in chi-town.

Speaking of riding bean and the game showrunner......where the hell is that damn mountain range in Wisconsin that shows up damn it? The open setup of looking down at Chicago...where the hell is the mountain in Wisconsin that you see? Cause you are on the south side of the city looking north.
There is no mountain range in Wisconsin that’s visible from Chi-Town. I should know, I grew up on the North Shore, I know a great deal about this mighty city. Riding Bean might have one visible range in that shot, but that’s an error.

GSC does look quite Chicago-y, though, in many places where it counts. The bridge where the Russian lady gets got on in OVA 2 is a real place, though it faces East-West, with the Eisenhower to the west - so you can’t exactly reach a yacht club on the straightaway, without cutting through downtown. Also, Rally fights Radinov in OVA 3 in a museum which has the exterior of the Museum of Science and Industry, but looks way more like the Art Institute in the interior. Pastiche at its best.

I didn’t include Gunsmith Cats for a reason, though, and that’s because it only got going once Crisis proper was over, and once Sonoda had left AIC and Artmic to do his own thing - it is a post-Crisis work, not a during-Crisis work. Moreover, the 3-part OVA was done by a totally different studio, OLM (Oriental Light And Magic, a reference to Lucas’s famous SFX powerhouse). OLM did some interesting stuff later in the 90’s - I hold that their Silent Möbius TV series was better than both of AIC’s Möbius movies and Crisis 2040 - but the whole conceit of ‘here’s AIC-Artmic staff members doing Crisis-ish stuff during Crisis’s run’ doesn’t really apply in that case.

(I really should get around to putting that Why 2040 Is Bad post together, but I can’t bring myself to do it because then I’d have to rewatch more of the show, not to mention parts, like the last handful of episodes, I never watched in the first place. Ugh, like the only redeeming part of that show is that Yuu Asakawa made her big break, and her as Medusa is one of the best parts of Fate.)

Also, it’s fuckin’ hard to read the manga. Not because Toren Smith and Dana Lewis translated it badly, but more I stopped just a few chapters from the point where Goldie brainwashes Rally and I seem to hear rapes her? Or just expresses a very strong desire to rape her? Ech. Semmerling in Riding Bean ‘89 was bad enough, but Sonoda just can’t seem to help himself sometimes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I ranked every episode of OG BGC. And ADP Files. And BGCrash. And two other OVA's. - by STMPD - 10-28-2021, 01:11 PM