Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
(10-27-2021, 08:09 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 10:45 PM)Umbire Wrote: Also, asking here since it's a bit more likely to be seen:

You Know That Trope Where games have limited-time-frame events that aren't necessarily tied to specific holidays, but rather just particular days of the week, say?

I FEEL like we have something for that already, maybe as a supertrope to Holiday Mode, but I can't think of what it would be named...

That doesn't ring a bell, but I'll keep an eye out for while I do my usual random walk through fixing things.

Thank you and Rob both. I've also contemplated Interactive Title Screen (which is what I'll name the trope article if it turns out we don't have it yet) - far as what Rob said, I didn't see a fitting trope in my casual glances so far. I'm not so much referring to an interactive cutscene as I am any level of changes (including cutscenes and/or dialgoue) that hinge on the game being player during certain days of the week, months, etc. without it being a holiday outright - probably a "Seasonal Mode" at most? - but still gonna check that section of tropes on Rob's advice.

EDIT: Apologies for incoherence, still a bit sleepy.
for a couple real life examples of that sort of thing, there's 'Taco Tuesdays' or other weekly traditions. Local movie theatres in my area typically discount tickets a few dollars on Tuesdays, encouraging greater attendance those nights. Likewise a nearby radio station (WRIF in Detroit) has "Twofer Tuesdays, where they play 2 songs by the same artist in a row all day (another local station used to do 'Tripleshot Thursdays, 3 songs in a row, but discontinued it a few years back)
(10-27-2021, 10:21 AM)Norgarth Wrote: for a couple real life examples of that sort of thing, there's 'Taco Tuesdays' or other weekly traditions. Local movie theatres in my area typically discount tickets a few dollars on Tuesdays, encouraging greater attendance those nights.  Likewise a nearby radio station (WRIF in Detroit) has "Twofer Tuesdays, where they play 2 songs by the same artist  in a row all day (another local station used to do 'Tripleshot Thursdays, 3 songs in a row, but discontinued it a few years back)

Yeah, "that but in video games" is the exact sort of thing I'm looking for. I should actually look and see if the Hold Item siblings from Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal lead me to an article.
Also is anyone else having their editing interrupted by "backend errors" that force you to go back a page and retrieve your actual edits?
I got a couple, but widely spaced in time.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(10-26-2021, 03:31 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: If no one objects by tomorrow, I'll promote them.

I've heard no objections, and we've had a lot of traffic in this thread since I posted that.  BeesFan12 will get their new rights shortly.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(10-27-2021, 08:21 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 08:08 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 06:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: Regarding the Trope Workshop - Is it a hard-and-fast rule that mod-proposed tropes need ten examples, or is that just something we encourage to set an example?

I think we started doing that to avoid the impression that we were fast-tracking admin-created candidates.  By setting a higher bar for mod-created trope candidates we made it clear we weren't showing favoritism.

That's fair. (Rather, it's being seen to be fair, which is in some ways more important.)

(10-27-2021, 08:09 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 10:45 PM)Umbire Wrote: Also, asking here since it's a bit more likely to be seen:

You Know That Trope Where games have limited-time-frame events that aren't necessarily tied to specific holidays, but rather just particular days of the week, say?

I FEEL like we have something for that already, maybe as a supertrope to Holiday Mode, but I can't think of what it would be named...

That doesn't ring a bell, but I'll keep an eye out for while I do my usual random walk through fixing things.

Likewise. If I were to look (I'm not feeling well today), I'd start looking at the categories about tropes about cut-scenes, and see whether there's anything listed there.

Question about copyright: Canada and many other countries still use the Berne Convention rule of "life plus 50 years" for copyright terms. The UK and US use "life plus 70 years". I've seen some files on Commons that use the Berne rule and thus are PD in the country of the uploader but fairuse in the US. What's the wiki's take on using these files?

I ask because John W. Campbell died in 1971, and thus his stories (including "Who Goes There?", which the wiki has a page for) become PD in Canada on January 1.

Technically, since we outsource from the WMF servers for a lot of PD and attribution images, anything from there falls under their jurisdiction, since all we do is pipe a link that ends back at them. For many images, they cite the terms said images apply for in different countries, so they cover multiple life plus X years cases where applicable.
(10-22-2021, 12:43 PM)robkelk Wrote: "All The Tropes:Everything You Wanted to Know About Changing Names" is specifically about Trope names (and thus should be renamed with a more accurate page title).

It's been a week and nobody's said anything in response to this.

Renaming the page.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Sorry, it got lost in the shuffle. I've no problems with that.
-- Bob

Guys, is it just me, or are ArtsyGirl's edits subtly changing the meanings of things on the pages she's editing? There are a couple of her edits in the mod queue right now, and I can't put my finger on exactly why, but they really bug me.
-- Bob

(10-28-2021, 09:39 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Guys, is it just me, or are ArtsyGirl's edits subtly changing the meanings of things on the pages she's editing?  There are a couple of her edits in the mod queue right now, and I can't put my finger on exactly why, but they really bug me.

Looks like semantic pedantry than anything actually malicious. They are mostly specific on the difference between "world wide web" and "internet" as regards media, and to be fair, there IS a clear difference:

https://www.lifewire.com/difference-betw...eb-2483335
(goes and looks)

Critical Research Failure:
Current text: This can be [[Played for Laughs]] by having a [[Book Dumb]] character make such an error so that a smarter character can spot and react to it.
Proposed change: This can be [[Played for Laughs]] by having a [[Book Dumb]] character make such an error so that a smart character can correct him/her.
Problem: Violation of the Rule of Cautious Editing Judgment. The re-write says that Book Dumb people are completely dumb.

Media Research Failure/Web Media:
Current text: On the internet, information is little more than a click away. Unfortunately, so is a sea of misinformation.
Proposed change: The Internet is not at least 100% at accurate information, sometimes, it can have some misinformation.
Problem: The replacement is less grammatically-correct than the sentence that it proposes to replace.

I'm going to reject the edit to Critical Research Failure and leave a note on the troper's user page - there's a clear policy violation here. EDIT: And done.

I'll leave the edit to Media Research Failure/Web Media in the moderation queue.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thanks, Rob... you expressed what I had perceived but couldn't quite put into words about that edit.
-- Bob

(10-29-2021, 08:50 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Thanks, Rob... you expressed what I had perceived but couldn't quite put into words about that edit.

Okay, I missed that Critical Research Failure one, I'd reject that myself. The other still looks like pedantry but concur the grammar is awkward.
And since it came up in a talk page on the wiki today, what is up with the move to LiberaChat? Last I heard we were still waiting for some kind of response from them about something, but I forget what. Is that still the case?
-- Bob

Do we have a trope regarding tiger-skin clothing, such as the kind usually seen on oni? I forget if we did...
We don't appear to have a page for tiger-skin clothing -- at least, nothing appears to be listed in Category:Costume Tropes

And oni are not mentioned on our "Loin Cloth" page, either.

The highly-abbreviated female version that Lum wears is listed on the Urusei Yatsura page as a Fur Bikini, which is as close as we appear to get.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't know enough about this proposal to be able to comment on it meaningfully.

Geth, I believe this is related to one of your interests. Would you care to comment on it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-29-2021, 06:59 PM)robkelk Wrote: I don't know enough about this proposal to be able to comment on it meaningfully.

Geth, I believe this is related to one of your interests. Would you care to comment on it?

Commented. And on the LiberaChat issue, they have yet to get back to me. I stated in the prior ATT topic thread anyone else who wants to try contacting them, please feel free, I have yet to receive a response.
Just created a new template: {{franchisestub}}

Use it like {{workstub}}, but on Franchise pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Trope-wise, I've noticed we don't have Creepy Cute as a trope - it'd naturally be distinct from Ugly Cute, which we already have. Would anyone object to me whipping up a page from scratch?

And on a tangential note: Do we have a format designed for links to Wikia FANDOM pages like we do for Wikipedia/TOW?
(11-01-2021, 01:59 PM)Umbire Wrote: Trope-wise, I've noticed we don't have Creepy Cute as a trope - it'd naturally be distinct from Ugly Cute, which we already have. Would anyone object to me whipping up a page from scratch?

Everybody else here has started at least one trope in the Trope Workshop - it would be rude to say you can't.

Go for it!

(11-01-2021, 01:59 PM)Umbire Wrote: And on a tangential note: Do we have a format designed for links to Wikia FANDOM pages like we do for Wikipedia/TOW?

I'm not aware of one.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If we're not going to be changing the name of the page currently called "Jossed", where do we put this disambiguation page?

This is a disambiguation page. [[Joss Whedon]] is famous for using all of these tropes, hence the name '''Jossed''' for all of them:

* [[Anyone Can Die|A gutwrenching main character death]]
* [[__________|The purposeful disproving of fanon]]
* The [[Ship Sinking|removal of any chance of a fan-preferred relationship]] by [[Death of the Hypotenuse|killing off one of the characters involved]]

{{reflist}}
{{disambiguation}}
[[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]]
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, it's been just under two weeks since Reddington/Balon Greyjoy/Dagon Greyjoy/DevanSeaworth78 was tempbanned, and almost a week since that block expired, and he has yet to respond (or edit) since then. What are we going to do about him?

On a related topic, ArtsyGirl has just (accidentally?) revealed that she, too, is using multiple accounts by responding to the thread on her page about the rejected edit using a different account, AmberLovesEverything, which was created on October 31 "automatically" according to the user creation log. Who wants to be the one to give her the multiple accounts warning?
-- Bob

I'd give Reddington/Balon Greyjoy/Dagon Greyjoy/DevanSeaworth78 the same treatment we give everyone else who doesn't come back after a tempban - ignore until something happens.

As for ArtsyGirl/AmberLovesEverything, well ... I did the last warning, and it was ignored. It's somebody else's turn.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown