Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
I can't speak for the fridge page (or what prompted the bringing of "radical" talk into it), but as far as the ATT namespace page, all I'm asking is that maybe we consider a change in wording. This isn't necessarily about appeasing any one person or group of people; that was just what prompted me to think about it, and come to the conclusion that the current choice of wording is a bit of a relic - that's the only 'belief' of mine that's particularly relevant to this conversation.

Honestly, if anything I'm getting the feeling of having my motives and/or supposed politics thereof presumed for me, and it's just the tiniest bit annoying.
(11-17-2021, 03:35 AM)Umbire Wrote: I can't speak for the fridge page (or what prompted the bringing of "radical" talk into it), but as far as the ATT namespace page, all I'm asking is that maybe we consider a change in wording. This isn't necessarily about appeasing any one person or group of people; that was just what prompted me to think about it, and come to the conclusion that the current choice of wording is a bit of a relic - that's the only 'belief' of mine that's particularly relevant to this conversation.

Honestly, if anything I'm getting the feeling of having my motives and/or supposed politics thereof presumed for me, and it's just the tiniest bit annoying.

Thanks for the response. As for my comments, I'd like to be clear they apply to both sides. Me, I stand neutral ultimately, my vote carries equal weight alongside your own, and I will bow to the majority will.

However, that majority will extends only to those on our wiki. Those off of it, by reasons of practicality (they aren't members, thus they have no vote) and policy (we will not be arbitrarily influenced to change anything unless required for legal reasons by lawful court order) have no say and I want no one to drag offsite drama on the wiki, and since many of us discuss wiki matters here, this is the lone exception to that I have made, and only to reiterate such a point in a place I know most involved will see it.

Whatever the deal is, I just would prefer we nip this in the bud before it bursts into a full drama flower.
(11-17-2021, 03:49 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(11-17-2021, 03:35 AM)Umbire Wrote: I can't speak for the fridge page (or what prompted the bringing of "radical" talk into it), but as far as the ATT namespace page, all I'm asking is that maybe we consider a change in wording. This isn't necessarily about appeasing any one person or group of people; that was just what prompted me to think about it, and come to the conclusion that the current choice of wording is a bit of a relic - that's the only 'belief' of mine that's particularly relevant to this conversation.

Thanks for the response. As for my comments, I'd like to be clear they apply to both sides. Me, I stand neutral ultimately, my vote carries equal weight alongside your own, and I will bow to the majority will.

However, that majority will extends only to those on our wiki. Those off of it, by reasons of practicality (they aren't members, thus they have no vote) and policy (we will not be arbitrarily influenced to change anything unless required for legal reasons by lawful court order) have no say and I want no one to drag offsite drama on the wiki, and since many of us discuss wiki matters here, this is the lone exception to that I have made, and only to reiterate such a point in a place I know most involved will see it.

Whatever the deal is, I just would prefer we nip this in the bud before it bursts into a full drama flower.
That's another thing that's bothering me - there isn't any "drama" to be brought from offsite to begin with, just someone being rubbed the wrong way briefly by how "Why Fork TV Tropes" reads. Whatever "situation" you're imagining is already good and resolved, but simply gave me an impetus to think about the text of that page - no demands were made, and I chose to bring this up entirely of my own volition.
(11-17-2021, 04:12 AM)Umbire Wrote:
(11-17-2021, 03:49 AM)GethN7 Wrote:

That's another thing that's bothering me - there isn't any "drama" to be brought from offsite to begin with, just someone being rubbed the wrong way briefly by how "Why Fork TV Tropes" reads. Whatever "situation" you're imagining is already good and resolved, but simply gave me an impetus to think about the text of that page - no demands were made, and I chose to bring this up entirely of my own volition.

Very well, appreciate your clarification. Let's see how your proposal to change things in the relevant discussion topic goes and we'll discuss this there in more detail.
Somebody with more patience than I have at the moment needs to clean up the pages and files in "Category:Supernatural", "Category:Supernatural (Anime)", and "Category:Supernatural (TV series)", and make sure they're each in the correct category. I can tell you right now that most of them are not.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Sheesh. Somehow I missed everything from message 101 to 104 (no doubt aided by my having set my thread pagination to 50 messages). I saw none of your forum posts before now, Umbire, and my response on the wiki was in complete ignorance of them.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(11-18-2021, 04:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Sheesh.  Somehow I missed everything from message 101 to 104 (no doubt aided by my having set my thread pagination to 50 messages).  I saw none of your forum posts before now, Umbire, and my response on the wiki was in complete ignorance of them.

It's whatever. Not like I had anything on my schedule other than just bringing up the matter.
Soliciting some assistance in touching up a planned Useful Notes page for Operation Valkyrie - will be asking for help as well with a few other currently-userspaced articles that I'm starting on right this minute.
(11-21-2021, 01:01 AM)Umbire Wrote: Soliciting some assistance in touching up a planned Useful Notes page for Operation Valkyrie - will be asking for help as well with a few other currently-userspaced articles that I'm starting on right this minute.

More than happy to help, history is my speciality.
(11-21-2021, 09:41 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(11-21-2021, 01:01 AM)Umbire Wrote: Soliciting some assistance in touching up a planned Useful Notes page for Operation Valkyrie - will be asking for help as well with a few other currently-userspaced articles that I'm starting on right this minute.

More than happy to help, history is my speciality.
Cool thanks.

Other userspace articles I'd like help with:

Animalistic Abomination: I've got a pretty solid base for this, but extra aid wouldn't hurt.

Remakequel: Taking this one slower on purpose (currently has nothing as of yet) so I can give it the focus and TLC it deserves. I'll lay a foundation pretty soon after making this post.
(11-23-2021, 04:11 PM)Umbire Wrote: Remakequel: Taking this one slower on purpose (currently has nothing as of yet) so I can give it the focus and TLC it deserves. I'll lay a foundation pretty soon after making this post.

Didn't we decide that was a duplicate? (goes and looks) Yes, we did.

So the first thing you'll need to put on that page is an explanation as to how it's different from Continuity Reboot.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-23-2021, 04:16 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 04:11 PM)Umbire Wrote: Remakequel: Taking this one slower on purpose (currently has nothing as of yet) so I can give it the focus and TLC it deserves. I'll lay a foundation pretty soon after making this post.

Didn't we decide that was a duplicate? (goes and looks) Yes, we did.

So the first thing you'll need to put on that page is an explanation as to how it's different from Continuity Reboot.

It'd be more a specific type of Continuity Reboot, if anything - honestly, I'd forgotten since I had believed the previous candidacy fell through due to (funnily enough) me not paying attention to the votes on it.

That said, I can easily transfer the examples and description for it to that article, and deal with the question of splitting it off to its own article further down the line.
I had reason to look at ATT:About, and noticed this line:
Quote:ATT Tabs and Tabber Best Practices Guide: Best practices for usage of the Tabber and Tabs features.

Refresh my memory, please - when did this go through the published process to become a wiki policy?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
For Animalistic Abomination, the zombie dogs in Resident Evil games (among other monstrosities) would probably qualify
(11-23-2021, 05:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: I had reason to look at ATT:About, and noticed this line:
Quote:ATT Tabs and Tabber Best Practices Guide: Best practices for usage of the Tabber and Tabs features.

Refresh my memory, please - when did this go through the published process to become a wiki policy?

To be fair, a lot of our style guidelines were imposed by fiat, many by me.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(11-24-2021, 08:18 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 05:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: I had reason to look at ATT:About, and noticed this line:

To be fair, a lot of our style guidelines were imposed by fiat, many by me.

Maybe we should review them all, then...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown

I created it a while back after we switched from Tabber to TabberNeue for compatibility reasons with our mobile interface. The page is a helpful summary of guidelines and tips for how to best use them so things look best on both mobile and desktop, which I proposed as a draft and no one objected to at the time.

Note that this concerns a technical subject which requires following if we want optimal readability, so if you guys want to review things, please do, but I recommend leaving it in place unless you have better ideas for the existing policy, in which case I'm all for revisiting it.

Note: The last rule I added because of Rob's complaint about fiat changes to the Community Portal that looked worse than the original design back when I worked on them, hence the added rule to prevent key pages for policy and site usage from being changed without staff assent prior.
(11-23-2021, 11:56 PM)Norgarth Wrote: For Animalistic Abomination, the zombie dogs in Resident Evil games (among other monstrosities) would probably qualify

Elaborate just a bit? Keep in mind they still need to be (at least close to) actual Eldritch Abominations as opposed to, say, mutated dogs.
(11-24-2021, 07:18 PM)Umbire Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 11:56 PM)Norgarth Wrote: For Animalistic Abomination, the zombie dogs in Resident Evil games (among other monstrosities) would probably qualify

Elaborate just a bit? Keep in mind they still need to be (at least close to) actual Eldritch Abominations as opposed to, say, mutated dogs.

Most of the ones I recall (from the earlier games) looked like large dogs that had been skinned, with their muscles and bones being fully visible.

Granted, I may have been misunderstanding the requirements for the trope, (and it's been years since I last played the games)
(11-25-2021, 12:06 AM)Norgarth Wrote: Most of the ones I recall (from the earlier games) looked like large dogs that had been skinned, with their muscles and bones being fully visible.

Granted, I may have been misunderstanding the requirements for the trope, (and it's been years since I last played the games)

Yeah, it's not just about looking monstrous/creepy/ugly/what have you, there has to be an inherent wrongness + distortion or outright breaking of "natural laws" and the like.
Just added Grrl Power to the Webcomics Long Runners page.

As is befitting for a Strip #1000, we discover something about the protagonist. Do we have a trope for "no, that really is her name"? Because "Trouble" is literally her middle name...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We do have an "X is My Middle Name" trope...
-- Bob

(11-25-2021, 07:51 PM)robkelk Wrote: Just added Grrl Power to the Webcomics Long Runners page.

As is befitting for a Strip #1000, we discover something about the protagonist. Do we have a trope for "no, that really is her name"? Because "Trouble" is literally her middle name...

and it surprises no one that knows Sidney Big Grin
Ugh. This new template looks nothing like our other top-of-page templates. I'm tempted to reject it just for that reason.

Opinions?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Seconded. It's also been created by a non-admin who's still under moderation for no official reason, for a variety of article we don't actually have and are unlikely to have, by design. I am curious just which pages ShawnTheLogoBoi thinks need this banner.
-- Bob