Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC] The Metacontinuity and Magic
[OOC] The Metacontinuity and Magic
I need some input.

The story that I increasingly-laughingly refer to as "my current story" has Sailor Mercury by necessity and almost accidentally learning some magic that has nothing to do with the Silver Millennium. No, I'm not going to say what that magic is - yet - because it doesn't matter for this discussion. What does matter is that it isn't Sailor Mercury's canon magic.

It's specifically Sailor Mercury who's learning it, not Ami Mizuno.

Does Ami get the benefit of Sailor Mercury's knowledge of this new-to-her magic?

The answer to that requires an examination of how magic works in the Metacontinuity... and that requires all of the writers to offer some input.

Is magic something that anybody can learn? (Well, anybody other than the espers of Academy City, who can learn it but would literally kill themselves if they tried to use it.) Or does magic rely on an inborn something (a star seed / linker core / seventh sense / whatever)? If it relies on an inborn something, can that something be implanted? (Guru Clef would say "yes", Doug Sangnoir might say "no".)

Does magic work the same way for everybody, or is it something unique unto one's self?

And if somebody has more than one form, is the magic part of the person or the form that the person is in? (Sailor Mars with her precognitive abilities would say "the person", Sailor Jupiter would say "the form" - so this isn't even consistent within a single ficton.)

tl;dr: Just how the heck does magic work in TNB?

As for the specific case, I want Ami to be able to use this magic... but I want more to be consistent with the other writers here. Would saying "it's knowledge, she has it, she can use it in any form" step on anybody's toes?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
[OOC] The Metacontinuity and Magic - by robkelk - 11-13-2021, 06:16 PM