Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equivalent exchange?
Equivalent exchange?
This occurred to me earlier today:

Chris is growing into his powers, and is learning what it means to be a god, and brother to the Norns. Mara, the Norn's sister, is about to die the
permanent death. Considering everything Kami-sama has done to set this situation up, I can't help but wonder if there is some sort of equivalent exchange
going on in addition to everything else we've seen.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Very perceptive. I wouldn't say you're right, but you're not exactly wrong, either.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

With gods its probably an UNequivalent exchange somewhere Tongue

Eight Gods there are I call my own:
Maiden, Warrior, Mother, Crone,
Moment's Guardian, the Sun and her Bride,
And the Witch who soars at lightning's side.

The irreversibility of Mara's decline in health comes from the fact that her very Overself is fracturing and unravelling, which implies that every face of the Warrior, everywhere, is suffering the same fate. In God's Toy, we learn that the mortal souls/selves of Paradox and his dimensional alternates are being stitched together or merged into a (pseudo-)Overself. What if, in order to avoid the final death, Mara's Overself deliberately shatters herself so that each of her faces can survive independently? Of course, the Warrior is almost certainly more than the sum of her faces, so the last of her could go to Paradox, transmuting his Overself from a kludge (a crock that works, "An ill-assorted collection of poorly matching parts, forming a distressing whole") into a Winning Hack, a proper and complete Overself.