Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'll just drop this here...
I'll just drop this here...
20 Powers Only True Fans Know The Sailor Senshi Had (And 10 Weaknesses)

The list mixes franchise-wide, manga, '90s-anime, and Crystal elements.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: I'll just drop this here...
Really stretching for some of those "weaknesses", aren't they?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Not to mention that they completely forgot Sailor Moon's main power in the manga when it came to #1...
(12-17-2021, 02:01 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Really stretching for some of those "weaknesses", aren't they?

Juuuuuust a bit... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Speaking of dropping things here...

I'm sure that I'm not the first to have come up with this exchange in the last three decades. (No doubt somebody came up with it back in 1992.) But, hey, it wouldn't be a Drunkard's Walk story without a reference to that movie somewhere.

Quote:"Rei's gone bye-bye. Ami, what've you got left?"

"Sorry, Usagi, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Usagi’s biggest weakness is her pure purity attracts Elder Gods like moths to a flame. Unspeakable cosmic horrors that care nothing for the fate of Man care about her — because she is one of them. Even in her larval form, she is that dangerous. If she isn’t stopped, strange cities of crystal will grow upon a million planets, each inhabited by billions of cultists screaming their strange cry: “Love and justice!”
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(12-19-2021, 09:37 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm sure that I'm not the first to have come up with this exchange in the last three decades. (No doubt somebody came up with it back in 1992.) But, hey, it wouldn't be a Drunkard's Walk story without a reference to that movie somewhere.

I was thinking of saving that one for a different Rei in Drunkard's Walk VI.  <grin>

Quote:"I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never, ever possibly destroy us."
"Good thinkin', Rei. ... Wait a second, you didn't have a childhood."
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(12-20-2021, 08:43 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 09:37 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm sure that I'm not the first to have come up with this exchange in the last three decades. (No doubt somebody came up with it back in 1992.) But, hey, it wouldn't be a Drunkard's Walk story without a reference to that movie somewhere.

I was thinking of saving that one for a different Rei in Drunkard's Walk VI.  <grin>

Quote:"I tried to think of the most harmless thing.  Something I loved from my childhood.  Something that could never, ever possibly destroy us."

I thought that that Rei was getting "Rei, if someone asks if you're a god, you say 'yes!'" Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-20-2021, 11:52 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 08:43 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Quote:"I tried to think of the most harmless thing.  Something I loved from my childhood.  Something that could never, ever possibly destroy us."

I thought that that Rei was getting "Rei, if someone asks if you're a god, you say 'yes!'" Smile

She's already gotten it.
-- Bob

Back to Sailor Moon, and dropping things here... fan art for canon relationships.

[Image: __zoisite_kunzite_nephrite_and_oosaka_na...82e8e1.jpg]

Source
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, I like that. And the art style reminds of old prints that my late grandfather had in his house, back in the 1970s.
-- Bob

(06-11-2022, 03:48 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, I like that.  And the art style reminds of old prints that my late grandfather had in his house, back in the 1970s.

I want to say it looks like a Maxfield Parrish piece, or at least like the sort of artwork the name "Maxfield Parrish" suggests to me. Either him or one of the pre-Raphs.
And now for something completely different. Since Usagi's powers have already begun to go beyond what's in canon..

[Image: Moon-Prism-Power-Up.jpg]

Source - this one's okay, but some of the other strips are not particularly work-friendly.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Heh. I could work with that.

Strictly speaking, it's not "beyond" canon so much as "much earlier", in my opinion. It seems pretty obvious to me that both Serenties are powerful generalist sorceresses. Whether that's all personal ability or the effect of the Ginzuishou in whole or part is open for debate, but all Doug's doing is pointing her in that direction and gently guiding/prodding her well before she would have otherwise gone that way.
-- Bob

Just dropping this two-decade-old fan art here; Bob should know why.

[Image: makoami01.jpg]

Source.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-28-2023, 02:02 AM)In Weird & Interesting science, take 2, classicdrogn Wrote: YouTube alt-/pop-sci channel has an interesting (if somewhat dubious) video about the carvings at Göbekli Tepe monoliths in Turkey being a record of the Younger Dryas extinction being caused by a comet, also tying it to the underground ancient cities found "nearby and all across Turkey" and the story of Yima in Zoroastrianism. If nothing else, the timeline for the age of the site does generally align with the 10,000-ish BCE date.

link

Just pointing out that the timing's right for Beryl's war with the Silver Millennium.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ooh, good point! I didn't even think about it in relation to fictional properties.
--
‎noli esse culus
I tried watching that earlier but when the narrator got to "two scientists ... chemical engineers" I stopped right there. Having fallen far too many times in my youth for the "expert in one field=expert in all fields" fallacy, not to mention calling engineers scientists being misleading at best, I didn't want to bother going down yet another one of those rabbit holes.

However, watching it for story research purposes... that's another thing entirely.
-- Bob

Watching it for story research is likely the best use of the material, since it's fairly likely to fall into the realm of entertaining fictionalization of the facts in the best case Wink
--
‎noli esse culus
(06-28-2023, 12:45 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I tried watching that earlier but when the narrator got to "two scientists ... chemical engineers" I stopped right there.  Having fallen far too many times in my youth for the "expert in one field=expert in all fields" fallacy, not to mention calling engineers scientists being misleading at best, I didn't want to bother going down yet another one of those rabbit holes.

However, watching it for story research purposes... that's another thing entirely.

It gets worse. At least one of those two guys is an associate of known crank Graham Hancock, and if what I read on Hancock's blog is any indication, they got their ideas about the Vulture Stone from him.

The channel comes off like one of the channels this guy is complaining about
Link.
It's promoting theories of unknown prehistoric civilizations, what did you expect? I originally linked it BECAUSE it was amusing, with ample commentary about its doubtful accuracy. At least it doesn't spend several minutes of runtime on how space aliens were totally -- ahem -- could have been involved.
--
‎noli esse culus
I’ve watched some of Graham Hancock’s show on Netflix. My thoughts were, in this order: wow, I didn’t know anything about these cool archaeological sites, this guy is obviously a crank but entertaining, and wow can I use this for my Silmarilion/Sailor Moon crossover (if I ever start writing more). Using hexagonal basalt columns to build cities of a missing civilization: yes please! I’d love to set a romantic interlude in the canals of Nan Madoll.

I, uh, kind of have a thing for canals.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Trivia for the day: According to Wikipedia, Keiko Han attended Toyo Eiwa Jogakuin.

One wonders whether that's why Rei attends "T~A Gakuin" in the manga. After all, Takeuchi-san is known to be on good terms with at least the '90s seiyuu.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If the team needs money for whatever reason, there has to be a better way to raise it than this.

(That's a Wikipedia link, BTW.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
There is one other option:

Burusera Moon?

It was a lot more acceptable in the 90's

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.