Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
The create new button. I've been correcting "other" to "other media" for a while now on trope pages, and I think I changed the trope workshop template to match already (although I may not have changed the stand-alone media list).
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(03-24-2022, 06:10 PM)robkelk Wrote: Welcome back!

Just in time for a question for everybody...

Category:Other says in part:
Quote:If we must keep an "Other" category, please use Category:Other Media, not this category. All The Tropes frowns upon abbreviating names.

The "Create New" button lists "Other", not "Other Media", as an available subpage.

Which one should be changed?

Other Media. Nice dumping ground for what cannot be as of yet sorted. Other is far too general.
As I proposed/promised some five months ago, I have finally broken out Mata Hari the person from the trope she formerly named. And may I just say, wow. The reality behind the legend of Mata Hari is a lot smaller -- and far sadder -- than the myth.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(03-23-2022, 04:41 PM)robkelk Wrote: New footer template! {{tropesub-subpagefooter}} See it in action on sub-subpages of "Real Women Don't Wear Dresses" and "Magnificent Bastard".

Where to use it:

{{tropesubpagefooter}} is for use on non-work subpages one level away from the root page (e.g. "Foo/Bar")

{{tropesub-subpagefooter}} is for use on non-work subpages two levels away from the root page (e.g. "Foo/Bar/Baz")

<sigh> Thank you so very, very much, "Demonic Spiders".

Unfortunately, the Magic Words available don't allow for automating a proper "tropesub-sub-subpagefooter" template for those half-dozen sub-sub-subpages.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
As of this posting, Armor-Piercing Slap does not have a Real Life section. Which means adding one for what happened at last night's Academy Awards would set a precedent.

Should that precedent be set? There are statements scattered throughout the policy pages about Real Life being not as on-topic for ATT as fiction is. On the other hand, we don't have many gender-flipped examples of the trope.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just because of the prominence -- and near-global awareness -- of the event, I am inclined to say yes, let us at least make an exception for this case.
-- Bob

Added, with the note "Usually, this verges on People Sit on Chairs territory in Real Life, but there is the occasional playing with the trope."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looks like I get to be the heavy re. User:Warsippp... That troper completely ignored Bob's post, so the "refusing to learn from an honest mistake" clause kicks in.

In the meantime, I think I'll protect "The Chew Toy/Other" from creation.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I replied to him exactly the same time you did... and gave him a week's worth of attention-getter tempban. While I edited my message a little to conflict less with yours, I left the ban in place. Let's see if he cares.
-- Bob

DemonDuckOfDoom has gone on a category editing spree, adding a lot of stuff to Cult Classic. The edits look legit, but I admit most of the movies I'm not sure on, so I'd like to ask those edits be reviewed by someone else.
DemonDuckOfDoom is clearing the existing list that we inherited during the fork, changing the list page into a category page as per the wiki's Style Guide. If there are any issues, they're with the list we got from TV Tropes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Speaking of whom, I think it's pretty clear he's established his bona fides. Anyone putting that much energy into a structural part of the wiki instead of adding original material for his first major contribution isn't likely to turn around and suddenly turn out to be a vandal. I move we give him automoderated and autopatrolled status.
-- Bob

Seconded. I was only waiting to propose this because it's a new account.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Category:Theatre" and "Category:Theater" - we originally had a distinction between the two, but actual use shows no difference. And Category:Theatre has roughly five times as many entries as Category:Theater.

Move to consolidate the two under Category:Theatre, to match actual usage.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Seconded. I was thinking much the same thing recently, even though I think it was me who originally drew the distinction.
-- Bob

Quote:If we must keep an "Other" category, please use Category:Other Media, not this category. All The Tropes frowns upon abbreviating names.

The "Create New" button lists "Other", not "Other Media", as an available subpage.

(03-24-2022, 09:13 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The create new button. I've been correcting "other" to "other media" for a while now on trope pages, and I think I changed the trope workshop template to match already (although I may not have changed the stand-alone media list).

(03-24-2022, 09:59 PM)GethN7 Wrote:

Other Media. Nice dumping ground for what cannot be as of yet sorted. Other is far too general.

The subpages list now says "Other Media".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Cool.

Meanwhile, I see no objections to rewarding DemonDuckOfDoom with autopatrolled and automoderated. I'll wait a little bit longer, but if no one says nay, I'll promote him tomorrow sometime.
-- Bob

(03-31-2022, 03:59 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Cool.

Meanwhile, I see no objections to rewarding DemonDuckOfDoom with autopatrolled and automoderated.  I'll wait a little bit longer, but if no one says nay, I'll promote him tomorrow sometime.

Sounds good to me.
Just made another category: Professional Cheesecake. Tl;dr: characters defined by the fact that they're physically attractive members of a particular profession.

I've found nine tropes for it so far; feel free to add more if they qualify.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-02-2022, 08:02 AM)robkelk Wrote: Just made another category: Professional Cheesecake. Tl;dr: characters defined by the fact that they're physically attractive members of a particular profession.

hmm, 'Military Beefcake'?  Plenty of movies where the star is some form of military personnel.

Tom Cruise in Top Gun for example

oh and of course the classic sexy spy.
(04-02-2022, 10:18 AM)Norgarth Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 08:02 AM)robkelk Wrote: Just made another category: Professional Cheesecake. Tl;dr: characters defined by the fact that they're physically attractive members of a particular profession.

hmm, 'Military Beefcake'?  Plenty of movies where the star is some form of military personnel.

Tom Cruise in Top Gun for example

oh and of course the classic sexy spy.

"Good-Looking Privates" is about the uniform, not the person wearing it.

"Seductive Spy" is about using feminine wiles to carry out espionage.

Neither is about the person in question being fan service... so I don't believe we have either trope.

Speaking of not having a trope, what do we call "You can't fire me, I quit!"?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Refresh my memory, please... What's the code for embedding a YouTube video on a page?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
There isn't a simple one -- easiest thing to do is copy the div from a page that has a video already (like The Wizard of Speed and Time) and swap in the YouTube identifier for the video you want.

As for "You can't fire me, I quit!", we don't really have a trope for that yet. I've potholed it to Other Stock Phrases.
-- Bob

(03-31-2022, 04:05 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 03:59 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Cool.

Meanwhile, I see no objections to rewarding DemonDuckOfDoom with autopatrolled and automoderated.  I'll wait a little bit longer, but if no one says nay, I'll promote him tomorrow sometime.

Sounds good to me.

Oh, and this has been done.  Forgot to do it yesterday so I did it just now.
-- Bob

Norgarth's post in another thread (http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/s...#pid210357) reminded me of something that I think needs to be a trope if it isn't one already.

Everything is Better with Googly Eyes.