Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
a) Oh, that's a great point to make.

b) I have no idea if it's the same across all skins.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(03-09-2022, 12:29 PM)robkelk Wrote: I just added a paragraph to the "External Links" section of the Style Guide. Here's a screen shot - necessary because a quote wouldn't look the same.

Now I'm wondering - Is it only the default skin that flags external links, or do all of the skins we make available flag external links? If they all flag these links, we can take "in the default interface" out of the text.

Easy way to test, add this for the cologne blue skin to a page to reload it for that skin to see: &useskin=cologneblue

Replace the end text with the skin you want to test.

Also, I regret to inform everyone I need to take some time off to deal with what is either tendonitis or carpal tunnel. My left wrist has been in extreme pain that had made typing difficult except for brief intervals, so I need some time to recover. I apologize for any trouble this may cause and plan to return as soon as I'm up to it and will check in whenever possible, just cannot guarantee it regularly for now.
No problems, Geth. Here's hoping for a fast recovery.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Likewise. Take all the time you need; we'll still be here when you come back.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Don't know who or what "Bulba" is, but the posts made by the account to various talk pages were gibberish. Blocked as an apparent spammer in order to protect the wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-13-2022, 04:43 PM)robkelk Wrote: Don't know who or what "Bulba" is, but the posts made by the account to various talk pages were gibberish. Blocked as an apparent spammer in order to protect the wiki.

Dmehus rejected several more of his edits though the mod system, including something that was definitely an ad (for giant foam hands of all things).  I went ahead and tagged him as a spammer in the mod system anyway, even though you've blocked him already.
-- Bob

We're down again, and have transitioned from 503s to 502s (Bad Gateway) to "Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties." over the past twenty minutes.
-- Bob

Whatever it was, judging by Recent Changes it seems to have resolved itself in an hour or less.

Meanwhile, a check on a trope I thought we had turns up nothing: do we not have a page for Gang War?
-- Bob

(03-18-2022, 08:12 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Whatever it was, judging by Recent Changes it seems to have resolved itself in an hour or less.

Meanwhile, a check on a trope I thought we had turns up nothing:  do we not have a page for Gang War?

One would expect it to be listed on our page for West Side Story, if we do have it...

* robkelk goes and looks

... Apparently, we don't.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That's exactly what I did. With the same result. Adding it to my "pages to create" file.
-- Bob

Just checking in to say I'm still healing, hope you guys are doing okay. One handed typing, forgive any grammar goofs.
No worries, and it's good to hear from you.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-18-2022, 09:30 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-18-2022, 08:12 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Whatever it was, judging by Recent Changes it seems to have resolved itself in an hour or less.

Meanwhile, a check on a trope I thought we had turns up nothing:  do we not have a page for Gang War?

One would expect it to be listed on our page for West Side Story, if we do have it...

* robkelk goes and looks

... Apparently, we don't.

(03-18-2022, 12:49 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: That's exactly what I did. With the same result. Adding it to my "pages to create" file.

Not only does our page for Gangs of New York - which is all about gang wars - not have this trope, the phrase "fighting over" in the second section of the description links to "Big Applesauce" instead.

Assuming this trope gets created (and it shouldn't be that difficult to find a dozen examples), that needs to be fixed.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
here's a third example for Gang War, Big Trouble in Little China
Here's a big one that practically centers around this trope: The Godfather.
(03-19-2022, 12:27 PM)robkelk Wrote: Not only does our page for Gangs of New York - which is all about gang wars - not have this trope, the phrase "fighting over" in the second section of the description links to "Big Applesauce" instead.

Assuming this trope gets created (and it shouldn't be that difficult to find a dozen examples), that needs to be fixed.

I just removed that link - there's no need to wait for a trope page to be created before fixing an obvious mistake, after all.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm starting to flesh out a trope page for it now. When I get a decent description and a few more examples I'll put it in the Workshop.
-- Bob

(03-21-2022, 07:14 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm starting to flesh out a trope page for it now.  When I get a decent description and a few more examples I'll put it in the Workshop.

And I don't need to.  In looking up related tropes, I stumbled across Mob War. I've created "Gang War" and "Turf War" as redirects to it, added a few examples I came up with that it didn't have, and revised a couple of existing entries. ("West Side Story" was a no-context example when I found it.)
-- Bob

Note to self and Bob: It looks like most mods don't read their pings nowadays. (Geth has a good reason.) If we want discussion, or enough votes to do or not do something, we need to ping frequent contributors as well.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, this is worrying.  For a good couple minutes, ATT completely disappeared.  And I don't mean 502s, 503s, or other things like that.  I mean, on trying to reload a page after editing it, I got this:

It came back while I was investigating but it's got me concerned.  I'm going to post a query on the stewards' noticeboard as soon as I'm done here.

EDIT: Put it on the Community noticeboard instead, since that seemed like a more appropriate place.
-- Bob

They mentioned yesterday on the twitter feed that one of the two DNS they use was having problems with CNAME records. That might be the issue here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I put a cleanup tag on "The Bechdel Test", because three examples might not be examples as defined on the page.

Does anybody know whether any of these three works mention the Bechdel Test?
  • The 2016 Gender Flipped Continuity Reboot of Ghostbusters (which obviously passes the test itself, but that isn't what the page's example list is about)
  • The Belisarius Series
  • The Honor Harrington series
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
New footer template! {{tropesub-subpagefooter}} See it in action on sub-subpages of "Real Women Don't Wear Dresses" and "Magnificent Bastard".

Where to use it:

{{tropesubpagefooter}} is for use on non-work subpages one level away from the root page (e.g. "Foo/Bar")

{{tropesub-subpagefooter}} is for use on non-work subpages two levels away from the root page (e.g. "Foo/Bar/Baz")
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thanks for the new templates Rob.

As for me, consider me back 2 work as of today.
Welcome back!

Just in time for a question for everybody...

Category:Other says in part:
Quote:If we must keep an "Other" category, please use Category:Other Media, not this category. All The Tropes frowns upon abbreviating names.

The "Create New" button lists "Other", not "Other Media", as an available subpage.

Which one should be changed?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown