Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking to inanimate things
Talking to inanimate things
I was browsing through Vol 35 of OMG (gee that many volumes already?). I was struck by what Bell said in that volume. Inanimate objects, given enough time, would possess their own will. It's happened often enough in OMG (like the Shinden fighter).. But it only seems to happen if the object in question is near the Norns. Especially, if it's near Bell. So it begs the question. Would Doug's bike end up showing a will of it's own? 
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I'm fairly sure that's a real bit of Japanese mythology. Things that are 100 years old gain souls and come to life. Being near the Norns probably does some wacky things with time, and it just happens faster when they are around.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Quote:Would Doug's bike end up showing a will of it's own?
Probably not. Too much trouble to change later installments, especially material already written, to allow for it, and from the standpoint of Doug's ethics, he wouldn't stand for "accidentally enslaving" a sentient -- he'd find some way to set it free if that happened.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Go look up Kino's Journey some time.

The Bike, and Doug form a contract.

The Bike get's regular maintenance, and a companion to talk with.

Doug get's transportation, and a companion to talk with.

Most of the Conversations are on the Mental wavelength.

All any one else would get would be having Doug Fall off the Bike in a laughing fit for no apparent reason.

It might work that way, but frankly, if I allowed for it, I'd have to figure out where in the last chapter of DW5 to wedge it in, and worse, it would require Helen and I to rewrite chapter 1 of DW13 to include what amounts to an entirely new character. As well as replot all of DW13 to account for it/him. No, I don't want to do that.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:It might work that way, but frankly, if I allowed for it, I'd have to figure out where in the last chapter of DW5 to wedge it in, and worse, it would require Helen and I to rewrite chapter 1 of DW13 to include what amounts to an entirely new character. As well as replot all of DW13 to account for it/him. No, I don't want to do that.
You are right.  IMO if the bike wakes up at all it will be long after Doug is (permanently) in the grave. There fore it is a non issue.

Manytales00 Wrote:Doug get's transportation, and a companion to talk with.
http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... e_Universe]But Doug already has a companion to talk with...

(I almost typed "Companion" there. Doug Sangnoir, Time Lord? )
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:(I almost typed "Companion" there. Doug Sangnoir, Time Lord? )
No, Doug Sangnoir, honorary Herald of Valdemar.
-- Bob
---------

Okay, this has to go into LoGG somewhere: "Dee has a Companion? Dee's a Time Lady!?"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012