Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complainng about the weather, 2022 edition
Complainng about the weather, 2022 edition
It's snowing here. Not unusual for Ottawa in winter, but we're looking at 1-2 feet of snow today. The record for snowfall on January 17 in Ottawa has already been broken, and it's still snowing. Environment Canada has declared a blizzard.

Highways are closed. COVID vaccination centres are closed. They cancelled the weekly gardening phone-in that hasn't been cancelled in years. People are being told to stay home.

And I just looked out the window, and can't tell where the snowplow went by a couple of hours ago.

Good thing I have shelf-stable food for a few days.

EDIT: Apparently, it's just as bad in Toronto and Montreal.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Complainng about the weather, 2022 edition
yeah, they closed some of the highways thru Toronto so that the plows can try and clear them. the Niagra Falls region got nailed too.

Lucky for me, Windsor was missed entirely. It's cold and windy, but not even a dusting of snow here.
Other than an hour or two of sleet late yesterday afternoon/early evening, all we go in NJ was rain. In fact, thanks to it we had less snow on the ground today than we did yesterday.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
You know, i would have taken rain on Friday after the big nothing burger Southern Wisconsin got from that snow storm that noped around us. Seriously, we've gotten 8 inches since November. I can still see Cornstalks in the farmland
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
Well. We here in NJ got sideswiped by the bomb cyclone as it whipped past us on the way to New England. Six inches of very very fine, light snow that came down very gently and slowly over about 20 hours.

Which of course translated into spending my entire afternoon digging us out.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Storm's here today, and the winds are not light. There was a snowdrift in the kitchen sink this morning that froze the taps, due to being blown in through the gap where the upper and lower sills sashes don't quite meet after two hundred years.
--
‎noli esse culus
(01-29-2022, 10:11 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Storm's here today, and the winds are not light. There was a snowdrift in the kitchen sink this morning that froze the taps, due to being blown in through the gap where the  upper and lower sills sashes don't quite meet after two hundred years.

Might I suggest application of the Handyman's Secret Weapon * to that gap, as a ... pardon the pun, but I can't think of another term ... stopgap measure? On the outer surface, so that snow doesn't get caught in the gap and make things worse when it thaws.

* "Duct tape", for those of you who aren't Red Green fans.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If any of us here were fit for climbing ladders, there would have been plastic over the outside of the windows to winterize them to begin with. As to stopgaps, the wind blew the cardboard strips out of them Tongue
--
‎noli esse culus
It's currently approximately five minutes before sunrise, and the horizon is dull grey-blue to the west, south, and east, but bright rose-pink in the north. WTF? Just... wtf?

You Canadians up to something you'd like to share with the class? Tongue
--
‎noli esse culus
The remnants of Hurricane Agatha could become Alex this week

It's 2022, and even the hurricanes are trans now. Oh, sorry, I meant himmicane. Or wait, is they a non-binary themmicane? We have gone too far!
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I didn't realize how hot it was in Ottawa today, or how hot I was. I wasn't sweating much before I took a shower, but ten minutes after I got out of the shower I was sweating buckets.

Needless to say, I immediately drank a pitcher of water.

EDIT: It's supposed to be hotter tomorrow... until the thunderstorm that they're promising us in the afternoon or evening.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Beau of the Fifth Column - Let's talk about the Rio Grande and other rivers...
Last week, one could go outside in shirtsleeves.

Today, there's two inches of snow on the ground.

Yeah, I blinked and missed autumn this year.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Autumn was here in NJ for about a month, then slipped out ahead of schedule and some leftover summer flowed into the unoccupied slot. It's been slowly leaking out since then, and what with the snow forecast in the next few days appears to have completely dribbled away now.
-- Bob

[Image: aqCUFeF.jpg]
To (mis)quote one of the recent image thread screen caps, "The weather went from 65 to 35 like it just saw a traffic cop."

edit: [Image: Abo3mzjt.png]
--
‎noli esse culus
It did that overnight, then when back like it realised it was just a transit van.

The weather has been unseasonably warm here - and over most of Europe. A good thing too - it's kept the heating off and fuel burns low.

It's mostly been wet as fuck these last few weeks.

Thirty years ago, November was long, cold and frosty with the trees already bare. You'd have puddles solid ice on the ground with ice and you wouldn't dare go out without a coat.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
We got a light dusting of snow here yesterday, preceded by freezing rain and followed by additional rain.
For us, this is Friday.

Snowstorm forecast for the end of the workweek

Quote:People should reconsider any non-essential travel with 10 to 25 cm of snow expected, mostly on Friday

That's 6"-10", for folks south of the border.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The above post was an underestimation.

We've have 30cm (a foot) of snow in the last 36 hours, and it's still snowing.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We've had air temperatures as low as -10C. It's been an amusing time at work.

"I'm cold. It must be broken down...."

No. We're just achieving some technological limits. This level of weather generally doesn't happen.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
"Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) are encouraging people to delay travel plans for this weekend with a storm set to hit the region Thursday night."

Snow followed by rain followed by flash-freeze. And that's just on Friday.

So, at least in the Ottawa area, don't travel over the Christmas weekend. Yeah. Let's see how well that works.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think it's supposed to hit the Eastern Seaboard a day later. Makes me glad I'm already home and my mom is supposed to be in her new digs tomorrow.
The snow whammed into Chambersburg this morning and segued neatly into freezing rain.
Rainy today in the Bridgewater Triangle (just south of Boston MA) but only half an inch or so, and well above freezing until the last hour or so. Temps are presently just dipping below 30 F, but 20mph winds drop the apparent temperature considerably of course. Still much less severe than most places got, from all reports. Had a power flicker once or twice, and my internet came back after near a week without, so all things considered I'm calling it a not so bad day, here.
--
‎noli esse culus