Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russian lawmakers authorize Putin to use military force outside the country
RE: Russian lawmakers authorize Putin to use military force outside the country
Yeah.

In the meantime, Russia have admitted they've taken ~500 fatalities so far. They likely cannot afford to admit to more. It's suspected they're incinerating bodies to hide the true scale - a sort of ghastly idea don't you think? I've also heard that the incinerator trucks are actually just garbage incinerators. It does give you an idea how they see their conscripts.

It's astonishing how Russian diplomacy has basically descended into an Oxymoron at this point. They've taken to rattling the saber at Japan, reminding them of the last time they backed a 'Nazi' plan and how they lost the Kuril islands (Oh, and of course, the Nuclear Weapons....)

Russian soldiers have finally started sabotaging their equipment before the enemy -- so it breaks down faster and they can go home.

---

We're in the strange situation:
America is sort of watching - just sending intelligence. Sending all the intelligence. The apparatus built to observe the Soviet Union decades ago can finally perform the mission for which it was designed
The EU is fucking Gung-ho, sending weapons, aid, opening the borders and letting Ukrainians either go home to fight, or come and seek shelter. Countries that normally strip citizenship from people who join foreign militaries have waved that for Ukraine.
China is still just making tepid mouth noises
More and more internation doors are being closed to Russia.

All Russia has achieved is to look stupid and wake a sleeping bull and really piss it off.

The Putinbots have turned their arguments towards comparing the Russian attack in Ukraine, with American attacks in Afghanistan and Iraq - the usual whataboutism. And then there's theres calling everyone who helps Ukrainian refugees a racist with double standards.

Russian propaganda is a dark mirror of what was spouted to justify Iraq. An illegal 'regime', weapons of mass destruction - more weapons of mass destruction. Genocide in the east of Ukraine. And, of course, their fear that Ukraine might get a nuclear weapon now.

One suspects they're gearing up for a justification for a Hiroshima-style attack. One or two small weapons - knock a city down - not even a full megadeath. A sort of Tarkin-doctrine style strike. Against Ukraine, which is not a NATO member, you might be able to get away with it without starting World War III. It'll be end of one of the cornerstone principals of the NPT and every single thing about the world order for the last 80 years will be up-ended.

You might be looking at a world where the UN provides the assured retaliation - rather than permitting a sort of pan-proliferation.

If it happens, there will be no hell deep enough, hot enough or filled with enough Vuvuzelas for the finger that pushed that button. At that point, Russia is also finished --- you can't exactly go 'Trade with us or die', can you? The walls will go up. The doors to civilisation will be locked.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Russian lawmakers authorize Putin to use military force outside the country - by Dartz - 03-02-2022, 02:37 PM