Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russian lawmakers authorize Putin to use military force outside the country
RE: Russian lawmakers authorize Putin to use military force outside the country
The Russian claim on Crimea was never entirely bogus, like the one given for the current phase of the war.  I think that when the Russian SSR gave the Ukrainian SSR possession of Crimea, they expected it to be a largely symbolic move.  They certainly have more claim to the region than, say, Genoa.  But what you consider status quo ante bellum depends rather on when you think WWIII began.  If you say 2016, Crimea could be on the table.

-- Air Serbia and Turkish Air are the only European airlines still flying to Russia, though it's also possible via Dubai and the gulf states.  Air Serbia has doubled flights to Moscow.  I suspect they are more full one direction than the other.
-- I feel like this shows how neutral states are a key part of the humanitarian response to this war.
-- Maersk, MSC, and CMA CGM suspended all cargo shipments to or from Russia, with the exception of food and medical supplies.  There is no legal requirement not to ship, but...
-- Insurance companies don't want to ensure Russian goods, and a lot of ports require insurance.  Of course, there might still be money to be made with higher insurance rates, but...
-- Consumers and companies really don't want Russian goods.  Surprisingly, most companies don't like dealing in unpopular products that may become contraband in the future.
-- Stolichnaya would like you to know that it is made in Latvia and that its owner left Russia because of Putin in 2000.  They're rebranding to simply Stoli, just in case.
-- Racist numbnuts everywhere are vandalizing businesses with Russian themed names, but it's not too bad yet.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: Russian lawmakers authorize Putin to use military force outside the country - by Labster - 03-05-2022, 11:04 PM