Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC] Embodiments
[OOC] Embodiments
I was watching a movie earlier this evening, and I had a thought: Who in the Metacontinuity are embodiments of particular concepts?

For those of us who've read Lord of Light, I'm talking about the Attributes that are fuelled by the characters' Aspects. For players of In Nomine, they're the characters' Words. And if you don't know either of those sources... think of a quality that a person can have, then ask yourself, "When you look up that trait in the dictionary, whose picture is given as its definition?"

Not everybody is an embodiment. In fact, almost nobody is. But there are a few.

We'll start with the easy one:

Usagi Tsukino is Love.

Everything noteworthy that she does, she does out of love for her family, her friends, her acquaintances, and everyone she has yet to meet... and whenever she acts out of love, her actions are the correct ones.

Next, the one that came to mind while I was watching that movie:

Nanoha Takamachi is Determination.

She will not falter. She will not fall. She will not fail. And she will not disappoint the people who depend on her.

Who else in the Metacontinuity is an Embodiment, and why?

EDIT: As to why I want to know this... that's for a later story arc.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [OOC] Embodiments
My character for Endurance.

Not quite the same as Nanoha's Determination.

You can hurt him.  You can crush him.  You can even make him long for death.  But there's a stubbornness that is rooted deep inside of his psyche that will make him persist.  A stubbornness that has defeated even some of the cheapest shots the life has taken against him.  He is, quite simply, very difficult to kill.  Vita has already learned this first-hand.  And she will readily admit: she has never seen anyone take a shot like that and survive - let alone get right back up again.

BBEG: "No way.  How is it even possible!?  THAT SHOULD HAVE KILLED YOU!"

Benjamin: "̶̸Y̷o͏u ̛cá̸͠n͏̕'́t ҉hur̷͞t̕ ̸̛m̕͏e͡.̛ ̡͜Í̶ wà͞n͢t̡͘ ͘͘͘t̢ó̸ p̧͠͝l̕͟à̴͞y̵.̨́͠"

Tangentially, this also means that he is patient.  He is like Rocky when Drago faced him in the ring.  Taking horrendous blows and hurting for it.  But doing so patiently.  Watching.  Waiting.  Analyzing.  Looking for that perfect opening that he can blast wide open and then pour an onslaught onto his enemy, overwhelming and dazzling them.  "He is not human...  He's like a piece of iron."

And when dealing with an enemy within?  He will slowly collect allies, resources, and information, bide his time carefully, and then lash out in a devastating attack on multiple fronts, utterly ruining their shit.  (And yes, I've done this before IRL.)

To put it simply, if Benjamin had been a student of Haposai, that ancient cretin would not survive Benjamin's "Graduation".

While Benjamin may forgive, he will never forget the wrongs done to him.  And decades down the road, he is the type to say, while a person is in the company of their colleagues and superiors, what they did to him in an off-hand sort of way, and in such a brazenly blunt manner that there is no possible way to misconstrue what he said.  And if they try to deny, he'll lay out the evidence right in front of everyone with a sort of blasé regard.  Because it most certainly is old news for him, and he is very much aware of their character.  He couldn't care less about them.  But for those around them?  He'll make sure they know who and what they are.

You should never wrong someone like him.  Because he will endure.  He will suffer.  He will somehow manage to carry on no matter how much it hurts.  But he will remember you and what you've done to him, forever.  And you do not want that with him, because he has the patience and longevity of a land mine.

Other possible characters:

Hotaru: Cycles
Fate: Fortitude
Madoka: Compassion
Homura: Passion
Ruby: Idealism
Weiss: Precision
Col Jack O'Niell: Snark 8P
Quoting myself, with emphasis added:
(02-25-2022, 10:32 PM)robkelk Wrote: Who else in the Metacontinuity is an Embodiment, and why?

Gotta give a reason, not just a name and a concept.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'll do writeups later.  I was tired, it was already late, and right now?  Now I have work.  And not all of us get to enjoy a job where you can work from home.
No rush.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-26-2022, 11:22 AM)Norgarth Wrote: Col Jack O'Niell: Snark 8P

That's O'Neill with two "L"s.  *holds up three fingers*

So I assume that we're not including divinities in this discussion, right?

Utena Tenjou - personifies "revolution", because of everything.
Entchen - "hope", as per canon
Touma - "misfortune"

TOMOYO: (speaking through microphone) Sakura-chan personifies cuteness!

Thanks Tomoyo, I guess.  Though I will point out that in some sense all of her cards are personifications, to the extent that they are persons.

Let me see.  Anthy Himemiya is femininity.  A lot of the conflict in the story is about which Anthy is the real Anthy, the maiden or the witch.  In her interpretation in Undocumented Features, all of mother, maiden, crone, and warrior apply to her.

TOMO: (finds Tomoyo's mic) Tomo Takino is the embodiment of elegance!  Her grace and style are the envy of all—
YOMI: (dragging Tomo away) Hai, hai.

Though now that you bring it up, Layla Hamilton makes a good candidate for elegance.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(02-28-2022, 03:12 PM)Labster Wrote: So I assume that we're not including divinities in this discussion, right?

For my purposes, that's a safe assumption, yeah.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-28-2022, 03:12 PM)Labster Wrote: Though now that you bring it up, Layla Hamilton makes a good candidate for elegance.

Michiru will argue with you. Elegantly.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....