Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Ghost Story....
A Ghost Story....
written by a Zombie?  Well, what else would you call me given how little I am normally active around here anymore....

Quote:The Rock and a Hard Place was Frigga’s… well, more the ONLY bar.  After the big OOPS, though, that it stayed open as part of the ‘shelter in place’ had meant it became the premier bar. In many ways it reflected the very nature of Frigga with its deliberately rough-hewn walls, bits of old mining equipment and pictures of miners who had died here by any number of causes.  Even now, an hour before the end of the ‘Day’ shift the Rock was somewhere between well-lit and dim, the sound dampening fields already up to mute conversations to something inaudible to any outside the field

Not that there was that much need for them this early in the ‘day’.  At the moment there was only one patron, occupying the booth closest to the bar; from the empties already at the edge of the table he’d clearly been here for at least a little while.  Or, perhaps, he was looking to get totally plastered in the shortest amount of time?  Jet found herself quirking an eyebrow at the amazingly non-descript occupant as she slipped through the mute field and sat across from him.

“You know, Murphy, I’ve never really heard of you drinking.  What Gives?”

“Depends who’s asking, really.  Lady Frigga?  Great Justice’s most lethal troubleshooter?  The head of Stingray Industries?”

“You work for Marcone, Murphy.  Why don’t you just roll them all into one?  He knows the truth and would have told you…  or you told him after you figured it out.”

“…  Okay.  Well, as far as Lady Frigga, the one who the local Sammies report to?  I didn’t want to be scoffed at but I was rescued by a friggin ghost ship!”

“And that is why you said the salvage from those four ships belongs to Frigga?”

“You know as well as I do how Gonzo feels about weapons.  And by now you have to have seen their report about the condition of my attackers.  How the freaking hell could I have managed that?”  Murphy paused for a long moment, then continued, “And don’t you dare mention my luck.”

“Well, it WOULD explain quite a bit.”

“Wouldn’t cover how I might have convinced the Flegg to fly with hot weapons.”

“So, what did happen?”

Murphy looked down at the PADD in front of him.  “Before I tell you, listen to this.”  With a touch, the sound of acoustic guitar filled the nitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4

One of the nice things about Jet’s body was that her hardsuit matched the initial design closely enough that it was removable; and for something like this it wasn’t needed.  Jet leaned forward, a pensive look on her face.  “And you found yourself cast in the role of Hera’s Dream.”

“Yes.”  Murph took another swig of whatever it was he was drinking.  “Biggest difference is that the ones who jumped me knew just where to do it.  Those ships pretty much had me pinned between them and a decent sized rock, so that pretty much scared Gonzo into complete shutdown right there.  Just to be sure, though, one of them got off a shot into the chicken drive.  Zorched the drive, damn near zorched Julie as well.  Speaking of whom?”

“She’ll be fine thanks to you.  Though the med staff is confused because most Friez are male.”

“Yeah.  Darndest thing, that.  We were running one of the Don’s blue hairs out to Ganymede.  Had a layover long enough to maybe have a beer or three.  Of course, while we are there my luck kicks in and a bar fight breaks out.  Some go for weapons, but fortunately those are all waved.  Shortest form?  She gets hit by a sex change gun.  Doesn’t seem interested in getting it reversed though.”

“Ah.  Well, they tell me they should be releasing her tomorrow.”

“That’s a relief.  Even with the help of your adopted kittens if Julie isn’t crew lead the damn drive will sulk for who knows how long.”

Jet simply nodded acknowledgement.  “So, you’ve just gotten Julie to safety, and I assume you rushed back to the cockpit.  Then what?”

“Kind of just like the song says.  Sensors show the attackers clearly, but there is something about the size of the Eldridge or Ciara out there, wrapped in a glowing red shield they can’t pierce.  It accelerates and turns more like an E-Z Fig, but fires bright green beams that just slice all four of them to… well… shreds.  Then, again, just like the song; first the shields vanish, and yes, I could see a great gash and enough weapons holes that it was clear that she wasn’t manned by any living crew.  Christian was clearly displayed on the standard identifier locations before she started… vanishing from the hull inwards.”

“And the last thing you saw were their bones.”

“Which is why I’m sitting here tying one on, over and above the fact I really need Julie so our repairs don’t piss off the drive.  Once the Sammies towed me in and I have some time and light-wave access, that is when this starts getting really weird.”  Murphy paused for a moment then pointed at the half full pitcher of what looked like some kind of Margarita.  “I’d offer you some, but I don’t remember if you are able to drink.”

“Won’t ever turn it down.”  Murph poured a glass and slid it over to her, willing to at least accept the camaraderie.

Murph took another deep drink before starting back up again.  “The loss of the Christian…  is, or was, one of the stranger events of the war.  She’s listed as a Great Justice ship, but out of all our losses in the war, she is the only one listed as ‘Still on Patrol;’ That’s WW2-speak for She’s gone and we have no freaking idea when, where, or how.”

“Not quite true, but it’s a good cover.  The Christian was one of our best ships at intercepting and capturing Zwilniks and slavers before her loss.  There was some thought at the time that it was because Dawson WAS a zwilnik until he realized he was on the wrong side of the fight.  We actually have a pretty good idea of where and when; but Great Justice never recovered any remains.”

Murphy blew out a long breath, then refilled both glasses.  “So, just like the song?”

“Yes.  Jumped by three cruiser class Boskonian ships, the same type that gave us trouble later in the war.  It is theorized they may even have been the first 3 they got into service.  Dawson was able to get a message out, but, as the song says, when Great Justice forces got there all we found were those cruisers ‘cut to ribbons;’ but nothing of Dawson nor the Christian.”  Murphy wordlessly refilled Jet’s glass and waved in Owen’s direction for another before gesturing Jet to continue.

“Now this last part is for your ear’s only Murphy.  I get any hint of this getting out and I’ll come looking for you in full hurt you mode.  The Christian was lost somewhere around here.  Haruhi herself had asked for Dawson because of his record.  They were hoping Dawson could find and bounce a cargo headed for Jusenkyo.”

Murphy leaned back against the wall with a long low whistle.  “And he got bounced instead.”

Jet simply nodded; then poured herself a fresh glass of whatever it was before pouring Murphy one.  “He did get the message out.  And even though we found no sign of the Christian, once the blue hairs were able to examine the ribbons he left us, it was the first clue we were looking in the right place.  Why else would the Boskones display that kind of firepower way out here unless they were hiding something?  And after I… We captured it, we found logs confirming that was what happened.”

“So, Dawson and the Christian remain on patrol for Zwilniks, Slavers, or flat-out Black Hats.”

“Yes.”

Murphy slumped back on his side of the table and stared at the rock roof of the niche.  “Isn’t that typical of my luck, Jet.  The bad is finding myself in that position in the first place, and the good to summon a ship of ghosts to rescue me.”

“And you have no control over ANY of that.”
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
RE: A Ghost Story....
Very nice!
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
“They opened up a can’a dumbass!” – Jon Stewart regarding Fox News, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
Indeed it is. I wonder how I missed reading this when it was first posted.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I need to find some of these CD's, the story is great and the song even better, that said, i find the Vixy and Tony version more agreeable myself, but thats personal tastes
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

There is something to be said for Vixy and Tony... But I never came across their version until after I'd finished this
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children