Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More reasons to avoid Chrome...
More reasons to avoid Chrome...
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/...me-canary/

Basically, another attempt at replacing third party cookies for advertising with their own, baked in, unavoidable tracking profile builder in Chrome. "Google argues that it is mandatory that it builds a user tracking and advertising system into Chrome, and the company says it won't block third-party cookies until it accomplishes that."

Here's the rub, it uses your own computer cycles to do this now.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
RE: More reasons to avoid Chrome...
*Sighs*  Fer fuck's sake.

Does anyone know of a "Diet" Chrome where it's basically Chrome but with all the spyware shit stripped out?  Asking because now and then I run into a website that doesn't parse correctly in Firefox (such as buttons or features that are covered up by tables that are refusing to scale properly), even after I disable script and ad blockers.
Wikipedia has a list
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Ah. Embrace, Extend, Extinguish made large on the web.

I.... still use Firefox. And rarely bork websites. I've used firefox since - well, Windows 98 or something. But, more than that - I only use Chrome for Facebook. To the point where Facebook thinks I like nothing but Facebook and gets really confused.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(04-01-2022, 02:56 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: *Sighs*  Fer fuck's sake.

Does anyone know of a "Diet" Chrome where it's basically Chrome but with all the spyware shit stripped out?  Asking because now and then I run into a website that doesn't parse correctly in Firefox (such as buttons or features that are covered up by tables that are refusing to scale properly), even after I disable script and ad blockers.

Generally speaking, I consider those websites poorly coded at best, actively malicious at worst. If they're coded to W3C STANDARDS and NOT what Google THINKS should be standard, then all browsers display correctly. In fact, that you see that implies that the web coder didn't bother to test with Firefox. Even with Firefox's technically miniscule market share, I'd still be at least using it to at least test to make sure the site doesn't break under odd circumstances.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
I use Brave and have remained happy with it since it started. Chrome compatible without the spyware by Google.