Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV
Just a heads up: WDStudios' two-week tempban expires late on Wednesday night.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I need a second opinion on this edit that's sitting in the moderation queue.

At the very least, it's a Real Life example added to the Live-Action TV section of a trope page. But I'm sure folks will realize upon reading the edit that this isn't the reason why I want a second opinion about it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Way, way too much vitriol. We don't pretend to be neutral, but that's well over the line.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(06-12-2022, 06:15 PM)robkelk Wrote: I need a second opinion on this edit that's sitting in the moderation queue.

At the very least, it's a Real Life example added to the Live-Action TV section of a trope page. But I'm sure folks will realize upon reading the edit that this isn't the reason why I want a second opinion about it.

Saville was a monster, but if people can't type without making it clear they are smashing the keyboard in rage, they need to step away and calm down. On top of needing to just be factual without all the excessive seething, the grammar is a nightmare, so reject and tell them to cool it is my suggestion.
It's past my bedtime - I'll do that tomorrow if nobody else beats me to it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I have had enough of "Happybirthday" flouting the Style Guide. Warning here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is it just my connection or is the wiki slow and glitchy this morning?
-- Bob

(06-12-2022, 09:19 PM)robkelk Wrote: It's past my bedtime - I'll do that tomorrow if nobody else beats me to it.

And done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-13-2022, 09:47 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Is it just my connection or is the wiki slow and glitchy this morning?

It was slow and glitchy last night, from my point of access. It's still not offering search auto-completion suggestions today.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-13-2022, 10:10 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 09:47 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Is it just my connection or is the wiki slow and glitchy this morning?

It was slow and glitchy last night, from my point of access. It's still not offering search auto-completion suggestions today.

Yeah, I was going to say, nothing else I've connected to this morning has been as bad as the Wiki -- repeated 502s and 503s, talk pages timing out when I add or edit messages, pages coming in unrendered raw text... And for the last half hour every page 503s on first access and needs a reload to actually display.
-- Bob

I'm going to make a proposal. Based on Happybirthday's record (and their previous account), I believe they are more trouble than they are worth, on the basis of known evidence.

I propose every last edit they have made be rejected and they be given one last chance to not test our patience. They fail the test, they are permabanned and all future socks (if any) should get the same treatment). They come off as either incurably hard headed or an attempt at a subtle long-term troll given their feigned ignorance, blatant defiance of our style rules, and socking, and we'd be better off without them IMO.

Any objections to this?
Well, I promised a tempban if they did it again... and they did it again in their edit to "Properly Paranoid", so I have to follow through.

And we already have a policy of rejecting anything still in the Moderation queue if somebody's tempbanned.

I agree that this user is more trouble than they're worth. I'd support a permanent ban after the current tempban ends.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I concur, both on the tempban+last chance and subsequent permaban.
-- Bob

Wow, the wiki's slow today. I'm guessing everybody across Miraheze is getting their edits in before 20:00 UTC.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'd believe that if I saw more than a dozen edits over twelve hours in Recent Changes... it seems like the wiki is prone to throwing 500s, 502s and 503s because just finding and displaying a page is an overwhelming task for its little mind.
-- Bob

(06-02-2022, 09:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: Tired and not trusting my own judgment at the moment, so I'll just ask this before I logout for the night:

Should Stubs be merged into All The Tropes:Stub Pages?

(06-03-2022, 02:59 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 09:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: Tired and not trusting my own judgment at the moment, so I'll just ask this before I logout for the night:

Should Stubs be merged into All The Tropes:Stub Pages?

I would advise doing so.

(06-03-2022, 07:05 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 09:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: Should Stubs be merged into All The Tropes:Stub Pages?

Yes.

(06-03-2022, 07:10 AM)robkelk Wrote: Adding "merge the pages about stubs" to my to-do list, then.

And done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Cool. Thanks, Rob. And given that I wrote the later of those two pages, my apologies for making it necessary to do so.
-- Bob

I am so tempted to copy this entire post to TV Tropes/Quotes.

Talk me out of it. If you can.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Why would I want to?
-- Bob

Getting 50* error messages across all of Miraheze at the moment. I'll check back later.

EDIT: Two minutes later, and the wikis are back.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's been ten days since I posted this to the Trope Workshop in response to people asking where is it anyway... and only GentlemensDame883 has added to it.

Am I really so good a writer that my stuff is good enough to bypass the approval process? (Hint: NO.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Huh. I could've sworn I'd commented on it. I'll have to do that tomorrow when I'm not about to fall asleep.
-- Bob

Somebody please remind me on September 23 that that's the day Comments on a Postcard shoul hit 5000 webcomics, and thus Webcomics Long Runners will need to be updated.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That didn't take long...

WDStudios came back, and immediately repeated the abusive behaviour that warranted a tempban in the first place. One-month tempban.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-25-2022, 04:07 PM)robkelk Wrote: That didn't take long...

WDStudios came back, and immediately repeated the abusive behaviour that warranted a tempban in the first place. One-month tempban.

I say we show him the door permanently next time. If WDStudios cannot resist the urge to be a huge jerk, then he can unleash that urge elsewhere.