Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
RE: [OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
We've had a bit of a talk about whether or not to include Noike.  I asked about why she was originally included, and the answer was what I was expected: she was just one of the gals who ended up living at Tenchi's house.  No other reason.

But, let's get into a talk about Tenchi Muyo OVA 3.  It's boring.  OVA 3 itself has Nobuyuki comment in character on how within the cast, each person has a natural enemy, as it were -- someone who can keep them in check.  So what to do they do to that?  Add Noike in to control Ryoko, take on the role of royalty and marginalize Aeka, be a cook who Tenchi likes better than Sasami, and help Tenchi and Ryo-Ohki in the field.  And not have any weaknesses -- except not being funny. 

Did the person who directed this season even like Tenchi Muyo?  Did they like Evangelion instead?  Do they understand how pacing works, or why they shouldn't spend the most time introducing us to the least important characters?  Was there even a reason to take their happy-go-lucky character and give her a tragic backstory that undermines all of the comedy she's been doing?  Because it sure wasn't for character development.

It's funny because watching it before, I'm sure I was like "oh well, it was fun but not as good as the last series."  And now that I'm trying to write fic about it suddenly my emotions are charged and I'm screaming "Who made this bloody mess?"

TL;DR Noike makes the other characters less interesting via Sueishness, and S3 was a mess overall, so let's limit our story to OVA S1+S2 as previously discussed -- with the possible exception of some of the infodump stuff at the end of S3E6, all of which were hinted at in the previous OVA.

/shrug And S4 so far seems to have replaced the character designs with ISO compliant anime designs.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon - by Labster - 08-30-2022, 04:50 AM