Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
RE: [OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
As a small update on our call:

First, the trope for stories that really grind your gears is Clock Tower.  That page is missing RWBY.

Second, I took a bunch of screencaps for exterior shots of the Kaleido dorms.  Can you believe that every single one has a slightly different color scheme and design for the railings?  Like, they all agree that there are triangles, and they're red and yellow... or just red, or just yellow.  Maybe they simply turn red at night? And the solid color definitely points up, or was it down?  Or maybe it's split in two?  Also that long walkway and railing without the supports shouldn't be cantilevered like that (a school in LA collapsed recently from that, thank God it was early-pandemic), oh wait they fixed it next episode.  Thank goodness, that was a big safety issue!

The cafeteria shows it having an vaulted ceiling above where you can see the pitched roof -- I think this is what you see in the middle of the complex, on the landward side of the building near the stairs.  Some shots show 3 full levels of apartments, some show only 2 with other buildings below.  And then we have this:

I have been spoiled by the *chef's kiss* perfection of the architecture in Tenchi Muyo.  I would upload some of these screenshots to the wiki, but they would probably just add more confusion, and stymie the creative process with structure we won't need.  Anyway other things I noticed:
* Sarah is on the ground floor, with a double-size apartment near the windowed courtyard side of the cafeteria.
* There is definitely common area at the front of the building on the first floor.  I don't know what, but I saw characters walk out of one, and another door across from the elevator have had a "closed" sign -- which I think is the cafeteria
* Actually I think the elevator is in a hallway behind where I have "1st floor" and "2nd floor" written above -- you can see it in some shots but I think it was forgotten here.
* There's some parking out near the gym (completely empty of course because this happens all the time), not sure if it belongs to the residents or the troupe in general.
* Possibly a tile courtyard behind the cafeteria -- or maybe it's a large net covering the underground parking level below?  Circus people would do that, right?
* Oh wait, found another angle, overhead.  Two tiled areas, with a large tree in the middle of the courtyard (and really too shallow apartments and missing walkways).

Modern anime would have made a 3D model, but that never happened here.  I do wonder about parking, though.  Is it mainly college age kids (and younger) living a dorm lifestyle, or is it a place where longer term residents would want to have cars?  Worrying about parking is basically how I do deconstruction for slice of life lol.  I still think we put some amenities on the first floor, though: laundry, gym, dojo (Sarah's fault), social rooms, dance studio/barre.

Should I just give in and import the gym too?  There's a nice empty, partially flooded spot near Basin B in Marina Del Rey on Tahiti Way -- it's just a short walk across the Lighthouse Street bridge from the dorms.  Otherwise it's going to be hard for them to get practice space.  Of course, maybe that's a good plot.

Anyway, back to Safety-chan.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon - by Labster - 09-01-2022, 02:15 AM