Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
RE: [OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
As I started writing the paragraph describing Tenchi Masaki's house, I ended up losing a couple hours to research instead. So on one end, we have the joke about the house moving, but then I thought about that house with the giant deck over the lake, and start thinking that all of that stuff had to be a part of the original design -- that's just not a city house.

No one really talks about it, but the house in OVA 1 is a different house from the one in OVA 2. It's bigger, closer to the lake, and even painted yellow instead of the earlier white. But it has the same roof tile, same number of storeys in a slightly different configuration, but lacks a wall around it. So, like, what happened? To me the most logical thing is that they never all moved into Nobuyuki's house -- when it was moved to the country, it was damaged, and they all moved into grandpa's big house instead. That is not quite what we see on screen, but what we do see on screen is everyone watching TV in the house the day after it has been moved showing all of the devastation -- implying the house had electricity. I mean, obviously you need that for the gag -- it's such a perfect ending gag that would fit right in in Urusei Yatsura.

I guess the other alternative is that Nobuyuki built the new house between the two series. Maybe those giant beams got included in the new design because Ryoko liked to sleep on them? (seriously they're like an old-growth tree per beam, unless they're hollow) In any case they stick to the same design after this point.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon - by Labster - 10-06-2022, 10:41 PM