Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT][ARC 2] Planning for Season 2 - The Retcon
[OOC][PLOT][ARC 2] Planning for Season 2 - The Retcon
Just what it says on the tin.

There's going to be quite a bit getting shuffled around here, but I have no idea where to start.  Good thing we haven't done too much yet.  Tongue
RE: [OOC][PLOT][ARC 2] Planning for Season 2 - The Retcon
One possibility is that we drop the "arc" setup altogether. This is extremely tentative, and we're nowhere near ready to even discuss the matter, let alone make a decision on it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Right, but I am leaning towards dropping the numbered arcs entirely, or at the very least coming up with names.
  • Arc 1 = Golden Age
  • Arc 2 = Biribiri Boogaloo
  • Arc 3 = Revenge of the Salem
  • Arc 4 = SuperS

Okay, maybe not those names.  But there are going to be natural divisions in plot.  The first phase is people showing up and needing managers to help them live in secret.  The next phase is when it becomes common public knowledge that the displacees exist, because of things too large to seamlessly retcon.  I don't think there's enough to say about the shape of anything beyond that, other than these things happen in some order:
  • Salem becomes the big bad
  • Space opera stuff
  • adventures on the rosette worlds (steam, fantasy, ???)
  • Moon Kingdom stuff

Even before this, Arc 3 was barely defined, a time period when vague suspicious things happened, and our entire discussion about it revolved around silver eyes and whether to make the Lucky Star cast into a fantasy dungeon crawl party.  I don't think we know enough about the future direction of the story to have all of these divisions.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
They were more like placeholders as far as I was concerned. If we needed more or less, then we could simply make it so.

But that was when this was still actually part of things. If you guys really want to change it? Well, I won't have much of a leg to stand on for that matter now. All I can do is just say why I did it and let you guys take it from there.
Answering a question asked in the old planning threads:
(12-27-2021, 03:30 PM)Dartz Wrote: Why does Usagi have to go with Mamoru? He's just a weirdo in a mask?

She loves him. And, for her, that's reason enough.

I'm thinking that, much like "it becomes common public knowledge that the displacees exist" is a natural divider between the first and second act, "the displacees are treated the same as anyone else in their social strata" is another natural divide between acts, and a Big Gala Wedding between two of the most famous displacees being treated just like any other Big Gala Wedding would show that this dividing point has been reached. My only question here other than "is this reasonable?" is whether this divider is between acts 2 and 3, or between acts n and n+1 where n>2...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I know there's a story here, but I don't know whether I can write it...

Anger Management Group Session

Hosted by: Dr. Harold Shea

Participants:
  • Misaka Worst
  • Shizuri Mugino
  • Arisa Sono
  • Asuka Soryu
  • Akane Tendo
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, my. I know we have a canon Akane so he should be safe from random mallets and accusations of perversion, but is it wrong of me to expect Asuka to be the most trouble?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Do we have a character nerdy enough to name their spaceship the Runge Cutter?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Once we get this far, please remind me that Sintel would make an excellent addition to our high fantasy world. (And I'm not just saying that because the movie was released under a CC-BY 3.0 license. It's a good story.)

Assuming we're still looking at having a high-fantasy world by that point, of course.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
While I'm waiting for the wiki to come back ... yet again ... so that I can do some work on the retcon, I decided to revisit this from the pre-retcon Arc 2 thread:

(07-15-2021, 06:59 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 07:31 PM)In [I/OOC] Incidental Bits, robkelk Wrote: Something for Arc 2... because I remember somebody wanting a fleet to take command of.

"Luna, you used to be an admiral, right?"

The Mau - currently in cat form - turned away from her family and looked up at Rob's question. "That's right. I was one of Queen Serenity's military advisors during the Silver Millennium."

"That implies you and she had a navy. How big was your fleet?"

She sighed deeply. "Before or after Metaria's youma attacked?"

Rob had the grace to look chagrined. "Sorry." After a moment, he continued, "I was hoping that there might have been a few ships somewhere near the ruins of the capital, but that isn't very likely, is it? Even if there was a military base that close to the palace, they would have deployed every ship they had to defend the capital, wouldn't they?"

Artemis turned to Rob. "Why wouldn't there be a military base at the capital, Rob? There's a Canadian Forces Base here in Ottawa, after all."

"And each princess had a yacht that was hangared there, that last day," Luna added. "They refused to use them to escape - they stood and fought, and died, protecting the civilians."

"I don't suppose you remember where the hangars were?"

Luna gave Rob "the look" that all the females at Blossom had learned from Mikoto Misaka. "They were right beside my own office."

"I hadn't asked you that yet. But I'll ask the $64,000 question now: can you give directions to the hangars that Yuuno and Fujitaka could follow?"

I have more, but it's going on the wiki.

So, just what do Silver Millennium ships look like?

I'm thinking "the more graceful sort of flying wings" because they don't have corners (ask Commander Hadfield why that's important in space), they're atmosphere-capable, they scale up well (to establish scale, I've already decided Mercury's yacht was rigged as an ambulance/medevac ship, and the royal yacht was larger than any of the others), and they kinda-sorta-vaguely look like Moon Tiaras.

However, if anybody has any better ideas, I'm open to suggestions. EDIT: As long as we aren't copying from any other fanfic. I've deliberately not gone looking for any fanon Silver Millennium ship descriptions.

Taking an alternate approach: Use something out of one of the older myths, given a modern spin. Luckily, somebody else has already done the envisioning for me, in a way that I can take advantage of it.

Vimana Flying Machine

The two things that I lose by doing things this way are "scales up" and "looks like a Moon Tiara". The aesthetics are of lesser concern to me. The lack of a larger version... is mildly annoying, but I can live with it.

What I gain is the ability to add this ship to existing images. And I'm reasonably sure that I can give it more than just the four paint jobs that it has "out of the box".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Any one of these people could take down a Level 4 esper or a Rank A mage without breaking a sweat. (Yes, "take down" in this context means somebody's getting a funeral wreath.)

Together, they can take down a Level 5 or a Rank S+.

And, after The Academy City Job, three of them will be in full-time residence at Blossom.

Rob would never deploy them, on account of being geased to be a Hero. And Tessa also has enough scruples to want to avoid using them as a team. Artemis, though... would he deploy a "wet work" team if he thought it necessary?

EDIT: And they aren't the first such team at Blossom - these folks moved in first.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-12-2022, 03:08 PM)robkelk Wrote: Any one of these people could take down a Level 4 esper or a Rank A mage without breaking a sweat. (Yes, "take down" in this context means somebody's getting a funeral wreath.)

Together, they can take down a Level 5 or a Rank S+.

And, after The Academy City Job, three of them will be in full-time residence at Blossom.

Rob would never deploy them, on account of being geased to be a Hero. And Tessa also has enough scruples to want to avoid using them as a team. Artemis, though... would he deploy a "wet work" team if he thought it necessary?

EDIT: And they aren't the first such team at Blossom - these folks moved in first.

We talked about this at this week's writers' chat, and came to the conclusion that, yes, he would.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just added this to the wiki.
Quote:With Moonbase Alpha back on a Moon that's in Earth orbit, and thus able to rely on a steady cycle of solar power (in addition to their nuclear power plants) and supplies from Earth, they have enough resources to be able to reduce rationing and expand the base. There's also an "abandoned" S.H.A.D.O base nearby (possibly it was always there and Koenig was told it was empty, possibly it was dropped into their laps as a displacee structure) housing a squadron of Mark IX Hawk fighters, which become the core of the base's defences. Add in a reluctance for any of the base's personnel to leave Alpha and live on an Earth that is not their own (just in case the base is sent back to their home reality some day), and Moonbase Alpha is changing from a scientific base to the Metacontinuity's first off-Earth town... and it will only be a matter of time before somebody asks for Koenig to stand for election to keep his job.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Today's Irregular Webcomic has at least a tangential bearing on something that's still at the "nebulous idea" stage.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown