Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][INFO] Character Relationship Profiles
[OOC][INFO] Character Relationship Profiles
(EDIT: This was originally a reply to a post that's been moved to another subforum.)

I'm reminded of a line from one of Heinlein's works (or possibly from the man himself) about geniuses making their own rules. You're certainly following that line here! (Not a bad thing, since I'm doing something similar with my SI.)

You do know that Usagi (at the least) is going to notice that "slight undercurrent of paranoia" and be tempted to meddle, right?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [OOC][INFO][WIP][RFC] Character Relationship Profiles
...wow. I don't know if my SI being happily married is a benefit or a hindrance to the storytelling after reading that.

<thinks> Probably a benefit. There's got to be something I can do with being fairly unique among the managers.

<ring><ring><ring> Yeah, hey, Gomez. Yeah, yeah, I'm calling to bitch again about not being able to relate to most of the other managers because they're single guys... Yeah, Peg and I are so grateful that you and Morticia are also in this gig -- I can't imagine what it would be like being the only married couple running a residence. ... Oh, yeah, sure, we're free on Saturday. What'd you have in mind? ... That sounds awesome.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I think the big thing that needs doing is to decide which Chibiusa is in the Metacontinuity. As per this post, we have a mix of manga and '90s anime characters.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, I kinda thought that was mostly on you since you'd be the one mainly writing her for the most part.  Well, at least until she grows up.  But every wiki dedicated to Sailor Moon that I've looked keep saying the same thing - that Chibiusa is 900 years old in the anime as well.
(03-16-2022, 05:22 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Well, I kinda thought that was mostly on you since you'd be the one mainly writing her for the most part. ...

In that case, she's nine. Not nine hundred.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
What’s the point of a malleable continuity if we can’t fix fic the weird stuff?

Small Lady Usagi is 900 in the same way Saber is 1600 years old. I wonder if Takeuchi-sensei was planning a time jump or stasis and then ended up writing the Stars arc differently.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
It wouldn't be the first time she changed course in mid-stream. The cats are a good example.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(03-16-2022, 08:37 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 05:22 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Well, I kinda thought that was mostly on you since you'd be the one mainly writing her for the most part. ...

....  Argh.

It's a good thing I didn't get started on this one right away.  Because I was assuming that, if not 900+ years old, then she was six or seven at the time of Sailor Moon R, not eight.

Ah well, at least now I know for *sure* that I can start on this profile in earnest.
(03-18-2022, 09:35 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 08:37 PM)robkelk Wrote:

....  Argh.

It's a good thing I didn't get started on this one right away.  Because I was assuming that, if not 900+ years old, then she was six or seven at the time of Sailor Moon R, not eight.

Ah well, at least now I know for *sure* that I can start on this profile in earnest.

Well, she was six or seven at the time of Sailor Moon R. But she got older in S - time travel can be a pain.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Relationships: Tomo Takino and Brent Laabs

This is mainly based off of Tomo's delusions which are kind of like astrology if you think about it.

He was a boy, she was a girl, can I make it any more obvious?  Probably.

Tomo knows, in her heart, that she is the protagonist of an isekai story.  She knows this is true, because Yomi can't contradict it, no matter how much she wants to.  A world of countless beautiful things and people has opened up in her previously ordinary life.  So she's going to grab them, because why not?

Brent is sort of just there, at first.  It's such an obvious choice to go with the first guy you meet in the other world, but he has his virtues.  He has a car.  He buys her stuff.  He buys her stuff even against his own better judgement.  He jokes around with her, which is fun.

Tomo wasn't really looking for that kind of relationship until Brent started dating Urd.  And then he started spending time with Urd.  And that really started to annoy Tomo, because what did Urd have that Tomo didn't have?  Besides divinity.  And breasts.  And height.  And magic power.  But besides all of that stuff, why did he even date that drunkard?  Tomo knew Urd was totally wrong for Brent.  And she was right.

Brent had always thought that Tomo was funny, but when he started to live in the same building as her, he realized how damned annoying she is too.  She would go out of her way to annoy him, just like she does with Yomi.  Eventually he realizes that it's her way of showing affection: annoyingly.  At first Brent thought Tomo was just doing the tsundere jealousy bit with him and Urd, but eventually realized that she was actually jealous.

After the breakup, he just sort of naturally falls in with Tomo.  Despite her lack of assets, she has a natural charisma.  And even better, she has good comic timing.  They have fun with the banter, Tomo and Brent, and sometimes Yomi too.  (Brent is a switch -- sometimes boke, sometimes tsukkomi.)  Tomo is fun to be around, even when she's insufferable.  She's always starting something, and life is never boring with her around.  At the same, she takes her duties as a vassal of Princess Venus very seriously, which is pretty admirable from Brent's point of view.

He's a good fifteen years older than her, which makes it one of those May-Febtober romances, but due to entering the Metacontinuity at different points in their life, their birth year is only a couple years apart.  This means that they can sit down and watch The Ring together without explaining why TVs are so big you could climb out of them, or what a VCR is, or why you'd need to go to a photo lab.  Young guys are sexy and all, but honestly she does not like playing the tsukkomi.  She is a world class boke, and Josh was just too dumb to get timing down with.

Plus Brent is interested in Tomo, not all of those gorgeous and and fit girls from Neo Venezia.  That's already a good sign.  Tomo would rate them as being much prettier than she is, except for the fact she is obviously the prettiest one.  She can't help it -- their muscles are toned from skulling canals in an anime, but since Tomo is from a manga, her muscles are only half-toned. (Note: the undines are not interested in Brent.)

Also, Brent wrote a fanfic with her as the star before he even knew her.  That would probably be creepy to most girls, but not to Tomo.  She's enough of a narcissist to love it when people treat her like a star.  Like the star she always knew she was, even before she became an isekai protagonist.  Brent can do magic too, which is useful sometimes.  Like for protecting the baroness, or opening jars.  He's even gotten a little more attractive by being Washuu's guinea pig a few times.  The sex is pretty good (when both of them can manage to stop making jokes that kill the mood).

It's loving relationship, but still rocky at times. They bicker just because bickering is fun. Tomo gets jealous when Brent gets close to other women.  This does not stop Tomo from openly flirting with other men and women.  Polyamory is for self-inserts like Tomo, not love interests like Brent.  That's just common sense.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(03-18-2022, 11:48 PM)Labster Wrote: This is mainly based off of Tomo's delusions which are kind of like astrology if you think about it.

This gives me an approach for analyzing the Ami/Rob relationship. One of the couple carries the Star Seed of a major astrological element, so using astrology would be like casting a Dragon Slave against Shabranigdo. (EDIT: Digression: And I just realized this explains why Nephrite couldn't use astrology to locate anything connected to the Sailor Senshi in canon.) But analyzing the personalities of the people affected could work.

Of course, this means I have to actually write the silly thing. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown