Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Ireland]Leo Varadkar Quits
[Ireland]Leo Varadkar Quits
We're going to be having a general election at some pint before next February. It has to happen because requires by the constitution. And whomever is helming the Titanic that is Fine Gael is going to lose it spectacularly. An implosion that'll make Oceangate seem like a 'pop' in the ocean. It seems to me then that Varadkar has decided it's time to go down with the ship like the Captain of the Costa Concordia.

His legacy includes being Irelands first openly classist Taoiseach. Overseeing the continued successful inflation of housing prices into stratospheric unaffordability. Gutting of frontline military, healthcare and policing services to the point where the State can maybe get one ship to sail. And the creation of a rent-seeking economy that has seen one of the States primary export be well-trained and motivated people who just can't take the sense of being utterly leeched of life anymore.

And, begrudgingly, significant successes in navigating the waters of Brexit and the first few months of Covid.

It seems the final straw was the utter lack of a bloodbath over the Ides of March. Not even You, Brutus?.

There isn't even a fart of a squabble to take over. That seat's fucking glowing radioactive, ready to burn the next poor arse to sit on it to a crisp. Malcador had an easier time on the Golden Throne. The next election will be bloodbath enough. It doesn't matter how great the economy is on paper, everyone's fucking misereable, the gloom-times are getting gloomier and maybe Bertie had the right idea all those years about what we should go do about it. Nobody sane will touch it, lest their career be tainted forever.

I don't give a fuck. I'm voting Social Democrats. They'll never win anything but I can't bring myself to vote for the others.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RE: [Ireland]Leo Varadkar Quits
New York Post hot take: Irish PM Leo Varadkar’s career ended because he went woke

Of course it’s wrong, all of the major parties supported the amendment that voters called a big no-no.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Isn't the new Taoiseach some 20 year old intern? Er, 37 year old education minister... yeah same difference. Is the job that toxic that they gave it to the new guy?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
He's hated by his constituents and is an utter tosspot. He's on fucking TikTok. His sole function is to splatter against the wrath of the electorate at some point next year.

On the other hand, we've managed a stable handover of leadership multiple times within the life of this government - which is something our neighbours have certainly struggled with. It's almost mundane that the occupant of the hotseat changes without fuss or furore.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

By the by, how is "Taoiseach" supposed to be pronounced? My instinct is that it's like "Trous-itch" without the R, but my brain has a strong impulse toward picking the funniest way to interpret that sot of thing. Like, after seeing them in a USENET post thirtyish years ago, I still have to fight not to hear "ho-meow-ner" instead of "home owner" when it's presented as a single word, or "cow orker" for "co-worker."
--
‎noli esse culus
(04-22-2024, 08:25 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: By the by, how is "Taoiseach" supposed to be pronounced? My instinct is that it's like "Trous-itch" without the R, but my brain has a strong impulse toward picking the funniest way to interpret that sot of thing. Like, after seeing them in a USENET post thirtyish years ago, I still have to fight not to hear "ho-meow-ner" instead of "home owner" when it's presented as a single word, or "cow orker" for "co-worker."

According to Wictionary, it depends. If you're a posh Brit, it's /ˈtiːʃəx/; if you're a Yankee, it's /ˈtiʃək/. (Which leaves us Canuks with two options... Smile )

Oh, and "taoi‧seach".

(pronunciation key)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Tea-shock is generally the appropiate pronunciation.

Most people just use 'The Irish Prime Minister'

Got it, thanks.
--
‎noli esse culus