Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Russian lawmakers authorize Putin to use military force outside the country, Part II
RE: Russian lawmakers authorize Putin to use military force outside the country, Part II
When I said that Russia was a medieval country, I didn't mean it wasn't industrialized.  It's definitely industrialized to some level.  Let's call it Second World, as we traditionally called the communist powers.  This war shows once again what happens if the machinery to kill men is activated for years.

But it is medieval in its politics, with the rampant corruption and the oaths of loyalty.  Honestly I feel like killing Prigozhin was the wrong thing to do, politically.  A medieval king would have just accepted the renewed fealty of his wayward count, and sent him back to his post.  Nothing actually happened, some people showed some strength, Putin lost a tiny bit of legitimacy that could have been regained. Instead, he fucked around and found out what air defense doing.

This is definitely on brand for Putin, who likes serving revenge cold.  But the whole l'état c'est moi routine isn't really a good model for post-Soviet Russia.  Instead of an absolutist Politboro, we have rich oligarchs with lots of influence, both locally and internationally.  (Did you know that Lord Lebedev originally wanted to be called Lord Moscow after his birthplace, and the college of heraldry only rejected that because Russia wouldn't agree to it.  lol)  This feels substantially more feudalist to me.  Particularly in the institutional of vassalage, and definitely with respect to Putin's most important vassal, Lukashenko.

I'm left with the impression that Putin does not know what the actual fuck he is doing, and is digging a deeper hole.  If you keep making armed people hate you something will eventually go wrong.  Honestly he should make a deal to live the rest of his life in a villa on Saint Helena, because this is not a war he can win.  Russia will certainly lose.  No one really wins industrialized war, but you can definitely lose.

(08-25-2023, 06:24 PM)Dartz Wrote: As for Wagner, Russia seems determined to vapourise them and their memory to prevent anything from happening in the aftermate. Their cemetaries are being plouged through and paved over.

They paved wagnerites
And put up a parking lot

Thats just sad.

You know, this is to the point where I'm not even surprised any more.  Russia always seem to be able to pick an option that's worse than anything I thought of.  Ammo in wooden boxes, mobik's cubes, paving over soldier's graveyards.  What happened to them in life is an even worse betrayal than what happened to their corpses after death.  But it's so stupid.  So stupid and sad.  Authoritarians praise death for the homeland, because you can project whatever values you want onto the dead.  Except Russia, which is like "bodies?  what bodies?  we don't know what happened to him, so no Lada for you."  Fucking orcs.

Also: apparently Ukrainians are grinding open the cluster bombs that America sent over, and putting the individual bomblets onto drones.  I mean, uh, Russians don't have a monopoly on doing stupid things.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: Russian lawmakers authorize Putin to use military force outside the country, Part II - by Labster - 08-26-2023, 02:30 AM