Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
Am I crazy or just confused? I could have sworn that we had a trope called something like "Agent from Fish and Wildlife" but for the life of me I can't find it. Can anyone point me at what I think I'm looking for?

Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, found it -- Right idea, wrong agency: Spy From Weights and Measures
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Glad you found it, I genuinely had no idea what you referring to when you asked.

On the note of tropes, since I've spent so much time on Twitter I figured I'd start troping up that page proper, too.
(09-27-2022, 08:23 AM)Umbire Wrote: Glad you found it, I genuinely had no idea what you referring to when you asked.

On the note of tropes, since I've spent so much time on Twitter I figured I'd start troping up that page proper, too.

Thanks!

(I don't know enough about the service to know whether it's even tropable...)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(09-27-2022, 08:58 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-27-2022, 08:23 AM)Umbire Wrote: Glad you found it, I genuinely had no idea what you referring to when you asked.

Thanks!

It absolutely is - I can't speak to the current quality of it (why do you think I'm focusing on that page suddenly :B), but it's almost categorically seen use as a creative outlet.
New category, although I only found three pages to include in it. If you know of more, please add them in...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I noticed you found a fourth since then.

More pressingly, site trouble for the day begins - after bouts of slowness, I finally get my first 504 followed by a 502 while trying to perform a simple search to see if we have a trope regarding "For a Good Time Call..."-style graffiti.
hmm, a possiblity for another subcategory of Graffiti, when there's some sort of marker hidden in the graffiti

For instance in Blade 2 (I think) the Vampires used symbols hidden amongst graffiti to identify their bases.
(09-27-2022, 09:01 AM)Umbire Wrote:

Thanks!

It absolutely is - I can't speak to the current quality of it (why do you think I'm focusing on that page suddenly :B), but it's almost categorically seen use as a creative outlet.

Not unrelated: I was starting a list of creators who can be found on Twitter, only to realize midway through the edit that keeping such a list on the page itself would be almost comical in its impracticality - so I was wondering if you or LT could string up something like you have for Wikipedia, but for creators or works or what-have-you with Twitter accounts. I'll raise a more detailed question on the talk page.
(09-27-2022, 11:41 AM)Umbire Wrote:
(09-27-2022, 09:01 AM)Umbire Wrote:

Thanks!

Not unrelated: I was starting a list of creators who can be found on Twitter, only to realize midway through the edit that keeping such a list on the page itself would be almost comical in its impracticality - so I was wondering if you or LT could string up something like you have for Wikipedia, but for creators or works or what-have-you with Twitter accounts. I'll raise a more detailed question on the talk page.

And I've replied on the talk page... coming down squarely on the fence.

Labster's the person who could tell us whether it's technically possible. Whether we want to do it is another thing altogether.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm not pleased I had to do this, but the party we strenuously warned to play nice who kept account hopping and defying any and all instruction proved they learned absolutely nothing, so I did this:

Block log 15:07 GethN7 talk contribs block blocked Rubyred240 talk contribs with an expiration time of indefinite (account creation disabled, email disabled, cannot edit own talk page) ‎(Repeatedly breaking something that a mod had to step in to fix, a.k.a. "edit-warring with a mod": This user has decided the rules do not apply to them under any circumstance. So be it, they will be perma-banned, so that will now be completely true.)

They have been informed we are not allowing appeals to this, and all future accounts and edits will be blocked and rejected.
What was the edit they kept trying to make anyway, I've forgotten.

Also Geth, your edit to Operation Valkyrie left this sentence: "Rommel took the deal with on the line." With what on the line, exactly?
I've also clarified that one trope they were trying to use as a distraction from the whitewashing they were trying to give the Norse gods. ("Ugly Guy" is relative, not absolute, when compared to "Hot Wife").

Oh, and I semi-protected the page for two weeks. Autoconfirmed users won't even notice.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Whitewashing of what sort, I wonder - hopefully not literal, there's a particular tendency for the Usual Suspects™ to hijack Nordic culture.
They kept trying to remove the "Fantastic Racism" trope from the list.

Draw your own conclusions.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
So trying to memory-hole fantasy racism, got it. :B
(09-28-2022, 10:35 AM)Umbire Wrote: What was the edit they kept trying to make anyway, I've forgotten.

Also Geth, your edit to Operation Valkyrie left this sentence: "Rommel took the deal with on the line." With what on the line, exactly?

Check your public message wall.
(09-28-2022, 12:59 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 10:35 AM)Umbire Wrote: What was the edit they kept trying to make anyway, I've forgotten.

Check your public message wall.

Already seen, ty
Now what did he mean by this?

Surely it can't refer to the discussion around quotes from a certain defunct site - specifically the one I started myself?

I'm getting sick of this guy.
(09-29-2022, 09:08 AM)Umbire Wrote: Now what did he mean by this?

Surely it can't refer to the discussion around quotes from a certain defunct site - specifically the one I started myself?

I'm getting sick of this guy.

They obviously didn't get the memo Bob already handled this, don't let it get to you.
Jeeze. Horny's working real hard to keep himself at the very top of the "Remember not to give me automod privileges back" list, isn't he?

In fact, I'm thinking it's time to give him another timeout for harassing users and trying to police content. What do you guys think?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
On the fence - it's entirely possible as Geth mentioned that he wasn't aware, but simultaneously if his first instinct was to try and backseat-mod after the fact rather than actually checking in with the people whose job it actually is...

Also, I want to note that his attitude is something I've long worried about ATT generally falling into, both regarding the split from TVT and how it's influenced moderation since then, and his particular tendency to try and pre-emptively police the "content police" (which is just the same shit with extra steps, far as I'm concerned).
(09-29-2022, 12:47 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Jeeze.  Horny's working real hard to keep himself at the very top of the "Remember not to give me automod privileges back" list, isn't he? 

In fact, I'm thinking it's time to give him another timeout for harassing users and trying to police content.  What do you guys think?

Let's give him a warning first. His backseat modding is a bit vexing, but more misguided than malicious at present. If done again after a warning, then it would be wise to tell him to go smell some roses for awhile once we've made sure a mere reprimand is not sufficient.
(09-29-2022, 01:06 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 12:47 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Jeeze.  Horny's working real hard to keep himself at the very top of the "Remember not to give me automod privileges back" list, isn't he? 

In fact, I'm thinking it's time to give him another timeout for harassing users and trying to police content.  What do you guys think?

Let's give him a warning first. His backseat modding is a bit vexing, but more misguided than malicious at present. If done again after a warning, then it would be wise to tell him to go smell some roses for awhile once we've made sure a mere reprimand is not sufficient.

Agree, for whatever my word's worth.

Agreed. With a mention that (s)he has already been tempbanned once this calendar month for the same behaviour and a ping to Umbrie.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-29-2022, 01:49 PM)robkelk Wrote:

Agreed. With a mention that (s)he has already been tempbanned once this calendar month for the same behaviour and a ping to Umbrie.

Fair enough.