Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Apartment Manager is not a Planning Thread, #14
RE: My Apartment Manager is not a Planning Thread, #14
Brianna di Monda for Lapham's Quarterly Wrote:Aleister Crowley, born into wealth in 1875 as the only child of Christian fundamentalists, grew up attending private school in Cambridge.

I think that bit is sufficient to explain a great deal about him. That's an excessively long teenage rebellion.
(09-06-2023, 03:56 PM)Inquisitive Raven Wrote:
Brianna di Monda for Lapham's Quarterly Wrote:Aleister Crowley, born into wealth in 1875 as the only child of Christian fundamentalists, grew up attending private school in Cambridge.

I think that bit is sufficient to explain a great deal about him. That's an excessively long teenage rebellion.

I think that's only enough to explain the initial rebellion, not the whole course of life.  C. S. Lewis had a priest for a grandfather and a bishop for a great-grandfather, and only briefly went to pagan Celtic mysticism (he was a big fan of W. B. Yeats), before becoming an atheist after the war.  And then, of course, he converted back to Christianity, finally being forced to admit to himself that he felt the presence of the divine.

Crowley feels the divine very differently, but he definitely feels it.  He's not even sure who or what Aiwass is.  There is definitely a part of Crowley that take fun in being transgressive, but his transgression is also purposeful.  The transgression is in itself magickal.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(10-11-2023, 09:10 AM)In the 3-d art resources thread, robkelk Wrote: ...
Something that somebody'd build on his or her own, rather than going to some place like Whilrwind. I think.

Which got me thinking about Whirlwind. They're currently set up as a four-person organization, up from three in canon
  • Chihro Fujimi, owner, lead designer, second builder, and second paperwork-doer
  • Keiichi Morisato, second designer and lead builder
  • Megumi Morisato, test-driver and lead paperwork-doer
  • Sora Hasegawa, third builder
Canon didn't have Megumi or Sora working for Whirlwind; instead, Belldandy did the paperwork. She doesn't have time to do that in Refuge.

The thing that I just noticed is that almost all of them are motorcycle drivers. Sora is the only one who usually drive a four-wheeled vehicle.

And that means she gets to drive the delivery truck.

And we've already mentioned that Harley's taking his "signing bonus" in the form of a custom bike. That means Sora's going to be making at least one road trip, presumably with Chihiro riding shotgun and hating every minute of it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
We (mainly Bob) have been working on a story together. Up until now, it still had a scene to be written...

I have come to the conclusion that the only way the Senshi are going to listen to metal for the first time is if Sawa-chan-sensei plays it for them.

And that gave me a way to write the scene.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
33-Stars are dissapoint.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Ah, but they're acquaintances or friends, not an authority figure.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-13-2023, 05:45 PM)robkelk Wrote: We (mainly Bob) have been working on a story together. Up until now, it still had a scene to be written...

I have come to the conclusion that the only way the Senshi are going to listen to metal for the first time is if Sawa-chan-sensei plays it for them.

And that gave me a way to write the scene.

Oooh, can't wait to see that.

I think I'm going to change the date on the current first scene, btw. The more I think about it the less it seems like a good lead-in to the rest of the story.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Let's have a swim meet!

(Okay, fine; I'm bored.)

Good swimmers as per their own canon:
  • Aria House: Chika Minazuki, Goro Arashiyama, Tatsuo Isozaki
  • Blossom Apartments: Ami Mizuno, Michiru Kaioh (in canon, tied their races twice in a row)
  • The Hangar: Teresa Testarossa (more an endurance swimmer than a fast swimmer)

Superhuman swimmers as per their own canon:
  • Aria House: Squid Girl

Who did I miss?

EDIT: Kagura, for one. Nagisa, for another. And we already had this category on the wiki. I was really bored.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-15-2023, 05:38 PM)robkelk Wrote: Let's have a swim meet!

(Okay, fine; I'm bored.)

Good swimmers as per their own canon:
  • Aria House: Chika Minazuki, Goro Arashiyama, Tatsuo Isozaki
  • Blossom Apartments: Ami Mizuno, Michiru Kaioh (in canon, tied their races twice in a row)
  • The Hangar: Teresa Testarossa (more an endurance swimmer than a fast swimmer)

Superhuman swimmers as per their own canon:
  • Aria House: Squid Girl

Who did I miss?

EDIT: Kagura, for one. Nagisa, for another. And we already had this category on the wiki. I was really bored.
Xander Harris joined the Sunnydale swim team briefly before the coach got caught giving the team performance-enhancing drugs that had the side effect of turning the users into fish monsters. You gotta figure that he was a decent swimmer to get on the team in the first place and likely became a better swimmer as a result of the drugs. Fortunately, the Scoobies figured out what was going on before Xander transformed.
I'm unfamiliar with the source material, but I would assume the gondalier girls out in Venice Beach would be decent swimmers, since they work on and around water.
I'm doing way too much research for a new residence that was supposed to exist solely to put a point on an empty place on the world map. I am now generating story ideas for characters that were supposed to just lurk in the background to prove that there were more managers and residences than the ones center stage.

I have also learned that there is enough documentation on Joan of Arc that you can get a sense of her personality from her own words (hot temper, snarky humor), see samples of her penmanship, and find out that the manservant who helped her in and out of her armor every day thought she had beautiful breasts. Thank you, there are some things I really don't need to know about Catholic saints.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
An odd one for a tutelary.

The God-Emperor of Mankind.

Because why not.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

With the posting of this story, all of the contributions that Seraviel made to the pre-retcon project and that we are keeping are now in the post-retcon setting.

My apologies to Seraviel for taking so long to complete this task.

The process of bringing the setting up to the point where it was before the retcon began is still in progress. We have no timetable as to when this might be completed.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just realized...

Touma Kamijo relies on his "Imagine Breaker" ability to nullify any magical, esper, ki/chi, or divine/infernal attack. But not all attacks make use of powers.

He's in what might be a unique position in that he can block Ranma Saotome's ki-boosted attacks but has zero defence against Akane Tendo's pure-striking fighting style.

Looks like I just figured out a way for Touma to get a power-up in Refuge: teach him how to fight.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I can tell that no one here has seen the Barbie movie yet, because they haven't mentioned it here.  I watched it tonight, and the portal to the Barbie Land is just off the Venice Beach Boardwalk.  No, not Malibu, actually Venice and it's named in the story and it's the permanent portal, but it can only be accessed on rollerblades.

So which do we need first, Magical Girl Barbie, or Circus Barbie?  Nope, we need Circus Ken.  He's Kenough.
I thought we already had Circus Ken.

Attached Files
.jpg   Ken Robbibs.jpg (Size: 27.15 KB / Downloads: 63)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<rimshot>
-- Bob

I mean, if you want to explain the joke, sure. In the context of the movie, Circus Ken (Robbins) is such a Ken, even more than Police Ken (Nakajima). And especially so in the context of the second season, which adds toxic masculinity but acts like it’s totally okay that Sora is the one who has to adjust for it, because why would a man ever have to justify his impossibly high standards for women?

I guess that means I might fix fic it after all, now that I have something suitable to cross it with.
There's probably a story about someone trying to make the ultimate spite-fuelled Barbenheimer crossover..... ...and having to stop them before Barbieland is an atomic crater

Does anybody mind if I give Ui Hirasawa enough fashion sense to confidently tell Mamoru Chiba "Your black slacks and green jacket look is so 1990s" and then choose something else for him to wear?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Can I tell Mamoru that his jacket with tails is so 1910s?
I thought it was more 1920s, but yeah -- when you dress like a butler, your fashion sense needs work.

(We've secretly replaced Tuxedo Mask with Sebastian Michaelis...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Bob, I see you added Big Norse to the wiki. Now, the question is, is she big and tall? Or is she petite and slender, her name a joke in the long tradition of Little John? Knowing these folks the casting could have gone either way.
We can go either way, honestly. All I have is a single piece of fan art and a paragraph or two of text written by Richter and/or Mac Rauch. She's mentioned in the novel -- her part was replaced by Generic Guy #1 in the film -- but I don't have it handy to check for a description right now. I have to admit my personal image of her is Nordic Amazon, which would go some way to balancing out all the short guys (Reno, Pinky) in the team. This is supported by the relative size of the Uzi she's holding in the image.

EDIT: But we probably shouldn't trust the fan art too much... the same source cast/drew Kirstie Alley as tiny Korean Pecos Yee.

EDIT 2: And we've had a page for her since we had a page for the Institute -- years now? I just added stuff to it for the first time last night.
-- Bob

(02-01-2024, 08:51 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: EDIT: But we probably shouldn't trust the fan art too much... the same source cast/drew Kirstie Alley as tiny Korean Pecos Yee.

Definitely don't trust fan sources. Fans make stuff up (and I say that as a fan).

If we're going to make stuff up anyway, I'd rather that we make up our own stuff instead of using somebody else's fanon. That way, we can make up stuff that suits our stories.

(02-01-2024, 08:51 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: EDIT 2: And we've had a page for her since we had a page for the Institute -- years now? I just added stuff to it for the first time last night.

Yeah, I stubbed her page the same day I stubbbed Buckaroo's page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown