Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incidental Bits Thread #3
RE: Incidental Bits Thread #3
Peggy meets Ranma: "Keep those cats away from us!"
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(02-08-2024, 05:31 AM)In My Apartment Manager is not a Planning Thread, #14, Labster Wrote: ...
Now I did look up the kanji for the Jurai family in TM though, which is spelled 樹雷.  The first one is a more complicated version of 木, meaning tree or trees.  The next one is 雷, thunder/lightning.  (Both are the Chinese readings; in the Japanese readings it would be ki-kaminari.)  I'm pretty sure that this is a plot related name, given the energy beams coming from the trees.

"I finally saw how Aeka and Sasami write their family name, Jurai," Hyoga said over dinner. "It's possible to read the kanji as 'lightning tree'."

"What, really?" Makoto asked with sudden interest. "I wonder whether we have a connection."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(02-08-2024, 07:26 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(02-08-2024, 05:31 AM)In My Apartment Manager is not a Planning Thread, #14, Labster Wrote: ...
Now I did look up the kanji for the Jurai family in TM though, which is spelled 樹雷.  The first one is a more complicated version of 木, meaning tree or trees.  The next one is 雷, thunder/lightning.  (Both are the Chinese readings; in the Japanese readings it would be ki-kaminari.)  I'm pretty sure that this is a plot related name, given the energy beams coming from the trees.

"I finally saw how Aeka and Sasami write their family name, Jurai," Hyoga said over dinner. "It's possible to read the kanji as 'lightning tree'."

"What, really?" Makoto asked with sudden interest. "I wonder whether we have a connection."

I know Chris Davies had the Jurai-jin of the Together-verse descending from the Jovians of the Silver Millennium. Now I wonder if that linguistic coincidence were the reason. If Chris were still around, we could ask him (her? them?).
(02-08-2024, 06:46 PM)Mamorien Wrote: If Chris were still around, we could ask him (her? them?).

Him. At least, when I gave Chris a cameo in DW2, he had no problem with a male character; I would presume that if I'd misgendered him he would have told me.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
To: "Haruka"
Subj: Alarming rotary engine noises

Thought you'd get a kick out of this Wink
https://youtube.com/shorts/XGuz3fkVT9U?feature=share

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Just so people don't think we've forgotten about the Halloween party...

Two people reached for the same bottle of ginger ale. (Cola, while available, was behind the bar so that Belldandy wouldn't drink it by accident.)

The white glove and the black glove stopped just before they touched each other. Their wearers, "white Stig" and "black Stig", looked at each other.

Observers presumed that they made eye contact.

"Uh-oh," Rin Suzunoki muttered. "I hope whoever the white Stig is isn't a biker."

"Actually, she's the best biker I know," Sora Hasegawa replied. "Chihiro-san can beat anybody in a race."

"Lime-san can beat anybody in a race," Rin answered while tilting her head toward the black Stig.

"Uh-oh."

Without a word passing between the two Stigs, they went for their bikes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As the ending credits to The Avengers rolled, Makoto asked, "What's shawarma?"

"I have no idea," Mikoto replied.

"I think it's a sandwich of some sort," Ami said, "but I've never had one." Everyone else was surprised that there was a sandwich that Ami hadn't tried.

Rob grinned. "We're in Ottawa. There's always a shawarma joint about two blocks from anywhere in town. There's one in the mall. Let's go get shawarma."

Ruiko insisted, "We have to see the credit cookie first."

"And then shawarma after." Rob nodded.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just added a term to the Glossary.

Quote:Seiyuu collision
A condition where two or more different displacees have very similar voices because they were played by the same seiyuu in the Refuge reality. The term was coined by Mii Komori and Ami Mizuno, who have three and six seiyuu collisions respectively.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's an old joke, but giving it to these people breathes new life into it.

Ritsu and Sumire had been playing, on their own, for seventeen minutes.

"Please," Nodoka begged, "make it stop..."

Mugi immediately said, "No! Something very bad happens if the drums stop!"

"What?"

Mio, trying desperately to fade into the background, replied, "Bass solo."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown