Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incidental Bits Thread #3
RE: Incidental Bits Thread #3
Is that in response to one of my edits to the wiki earlier this afternoon? <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Indirectly, in that I made my response to that edit there, and it's a response to my own edit.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
So, does Clef get legal ID that says his name is "Roman A. Clef"?

The folks who created the "Axel. A. Rayder" ID for Accelerator want to know, but they need somebody to give them a hint...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This came out of this week's writers' chat. This bit that will be going into the notes for the Christmas Party story is equally the fault of Labster, Looney Toons, and myself.

While the Imperial Flower Troupe took an intermission, their audience was taking part in an impromptu carolling session. By mutual agreement, the displacees had changed the lyrics to one of the WWII-era carols.

"Through the years, we all will make it home safe,
If the Norns allow,
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow,
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now"

Nao Okuda blinked in confusion. "What, just me?"

Mii Konori turned to Nao. "What? Not just you."

Yuu Inagawa, realizing which Abbot and Costello sketch was developing, said nothing.

“Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”, originally written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane, copyright 1943 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, is adapted and used here without permission.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Young Miss Testarossa from Philadelphia is here to see you."

"What, now?"

"To quote Optimus Prime, 'Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing'."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-29-2023, 07:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: "Young Miss Testarossa from Philadelphia is here to see you."

"What, now?"

"To quote Optimus Prime, 'Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing'."

That, of course, assumes that her name is pronounced like the English word. Having watched subtitled versions of the anime, I'm fairly certain that it's actually two syllables "FAHT-teh."
"She's a Norse goddess."

"What? She's Nora's goddess?" Ruby asked while concentrating more on the plate of cookies in the room..
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-03-2024, 05:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: "She's a Norse goddess."

"What? She's Nora's goddess?" Ruby asked while concentrating more on the plate of cookies in the room..

That pun is almost certainly the origin of Nora's name.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I hadn't considered that before, but you are almost certainly correct.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
At a Halloween Party, an innocent little girl steps up to the mike for a little Karaoke

Oh Mai Gaaaaaaaawwww

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
"Taeko, you don't need to add chocolate to these. They're already chocolate habaneros."

"Oh, okay. I'll use them today, then. Thanks, Yomi!"

"Happy to help."

As she walked away from the kitchen and Taeko, Yomi grinned. Dinner was going to be fun.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Well," Azusa quietly admitted, "none of us are particularly good singers."

"That isn't a problem," Bob replied. "There are plenty of instrumental bands out there. I'll play some songs by Dick Dale and His Del-Tones for you later."

Ui thought for a moment. "Or maybe we could get Asahi-san to front our band!"

Bob nodded. "Or maybe you could get Asahi-san to front your band. Or one of the other residents here."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oooooooh, foreshadowing!

EDIT: Who knew Lantis could sing J-Rock so well? <grin>
-- Bob

I'm not sure whether I'm going to use this or not, so... either this is a teaser or a what-could-have-been.

"What's the difference between you and ordinary cats?"

"There's not really much to say about us," Artemis told Azusa. "Other than the fact that we can talk, we're just moon cats."

From across the room, Noodle started playing her guitar quietly while singing,
"Jellicle Cats are white and black,
Jellicle Cats are of moderate size,
Jellicles jump like a jumping jack,
Jellicle Cats have moonlit eyes."

"Andrew Lloyd Webber has a lot to answer for," Luna muttered.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-22-2024, 06:56 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm not sure whether I'm going to use this or not, so... either this is a teaser or a what-could-have-been.

"What's the difference between you and ordinary cats?"

"There's not really much to say about us," Artemis told Azusa. "Other than the fact that we can talk, we're just moon cats."

From across the room, Noodle started playing her guitar quietly while singing,
"Jellicle Cats are white and black,
Jellicle Cats are of moderate size,
Jellicles jump like a jumping jack,
Jellicle Cats have moonlit eyes."

"Andrew Lloyd Webber has a lot to answer for," Luna muttered.
"Webber only set it to music. T.S. Eliot is responsible for the lyrics," Heather Raven pointed out. You can replace my SI with some other appropriate character but I'm familiar with Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats because my dad owned the complete works of T.S. Eliot.
"They created us and gave us the ability to understand what we were, and what they were doing to us. We were built to know we were slaves, and to know what it meant - we were built to feel the power they had over us. We were built just so they could do things to us that they couldn't get away with doing to other human beings."

"But You can't have a toy that stays broken. They built us to take it, to break, then to wake up the next day as if nothing ever happened, fresh to be broken again. And I realised, after a while, that we didn't have to be afraid of them - not really. Because they couldn't really hurt us. They built us to take them at their worst. We don't have to be scared at night, or alone."

"But Everything they did to us - everything they built us to take - they'd do to real people too if they thought they could get away with it. And, you know what, there are many out there who can, and who do. That's why I hate them."

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

"Of course I have a preference for which girl would be the best one for you. I'm just not dumb enough to say it out loud and get dragged into the shenanigans."

Something for Ranma's apartment manager?
Heh. Might be better for another manager somewhere else. Ranma's manager is far more likely to just go "Oh, dear god, leave me out of it."
-- Bob

What Bob said, Rob says in support.

Where were the Kimagure Orange Road characters again, Rob asks innocently.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just as a thought, I'm curious if Slayers has been pulled into this yet...if only for the classic Ranma/Lina meeting gag.
The solution to the Ranma issue is to stick Ranma in the apartment we duplicate and then do it again so there's enough Ranma to go around. Put them to sleep before we clone 'em and they'll all think they're the original and nobody will be able to prove any different. Each fiancee gets to believe they have the actual Ranma.

But this leaves us with 4 Ranma. Not a tenable situation.

Eliminate three by random draw in a painless manner - perhaps through the use of an infinity gauntlet - making honourable widows of the remaining fiancees and leaving one randomly drawn couple to crash into a quick and horrific divorce as they grapple with the ethical and psychological ramifications of murder.

---

It's either that, or a choice between Judge Judy, Gerry Springer or Geraldo.

(01-31-2024, 01:33 PM)robkelk Wrote: What Bob said, Rob says in support.

Where were the Kimagure Orange Road characters again, Rob asks innocently.

Building 3.
-- Bob

Luna and Artemis decided that they were willing to risk the danger of alcohol poisoning and visit Callahan's.

On a Tuesday. Or as the regulars call it, Punday Night.

I've got a bad feline about this...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Why is it so hot?"

"Oh, that's because of the Santa Ana winds," Brent answered Tomo.

Osaka looked puzzled. "But we aren't in Santa Ana."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-31-2024, 03:07 PM)Vulpis Wrote: Just as a thought, I'm curious if Slayers has been pulled into this yet...if only for the classic Ranma/Lina meeting gag.

At the moment, you'll have to settle for the classic Ranma/Nuku-Nuku meeting gag. ("She's a c-c-c-c-c-cat!?")
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown