Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
(02-16-2023, 08:38 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 08:32 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And here's another, somewhat more subtle, attempt to throw a little bias into a page thanks to Agiletek, this time the one for former American president Jimmy Carter.  I started college (just barely) during the Carter administration, and I remember he got more than a little mockery for his pronunciation of "nukular" -- but I do not remember Bush1 receiving "obsessive" mockery for the same pronunciation.  Nor do I think complaining about the mistreatment of a later president really belongs on another president's page.  He's also made a corresponding edit on the page for Bush1 where he once again complains about a double standard I don't recall ever existing.

The pair of them stink of standard right-wing "Mainstream Liberal Media" bashing.  I am inclined to revert both, and perhaps add a more neutral entry for "It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY"" to Bush's page, at least.  Before I do, though, I wanted to run it by the other admins for their takes.

I'd rewrite the tone to be more neutral. Accents do make certain words sound bizarre, but aside from pointing out the weirdness, giving someone grief for it is like hitting them for breathing.

I've just asked him to explain his edits. The last thing we need is a lawsuit saying we're in violation of UK libel law (which is not the same as US libel law).
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII - by robkelk - 02-16-2023, 10:00 AM