Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dearly Departed of 2023
RE: Dearly Departed of 2023
The President of Ireland's dog, Brod.

Poisoned by the CIA on order from Dark Brandon for snubbing him last week.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Daylight came and he had to go home.

RIP Harry Belafonte
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Jerry Springer has passed on...

Jerry Springer, politician-turned-TV ringmaster, dies at 79 (msn.com)
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
Probably Canada's answer to Bob Dylan, singer/soingwriter Gordon Lightfoot has passed on...

Canadian folk music icon Gordon Lightfoot dead at 84 (msn.com)
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
(05-02-2023, 05:22 AM)Pyeknu Wrote: Probably Canada's answer to Bob Dylan, singer/soingwriter Gordon Lightfoot has passed on...

Canadian folk music icon Gordon Lightfoot dead at 84 (msn.com)

If you've never been lucky enough to hear his work, here's a small sampling:

"If You Could Read My Mind"

"Carefree Highway"

"Early Morning Rain"

"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Saving the best (despite the whitewashing of history) and longest for last, "The Canadian Railway Trilogy"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Eileen Saki, another star from M*A*S*H (she played Rosie the bartender), has gone to the great surgery in the sky...

MASH star dies of cancer (msn.com)
Ray Stevenson, actor passes away at age 58

Titus Pullo in Rome, Volstagg in the MCU, and Baylan Skoll in the upcoming Ahsoka series
Tina Turner

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65669653

(05-24-2023, 02:01 PM)Jinx999 Wrote: Tina Turner

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65669653

Ah, damn Sad
----
Web Home
The authoress of the beautiful You've Lost That Loving Feeling has passed on...

Legendary Songwriter Cynthia Weil Dead At 82 | HuffPost Entertainment
"The voice of Bossa Nova" has joined the choir invisible.

RIP Astrud Gilberto
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
For those not inclined to click the link, she was the original singer of "The Girl from Ipanema". (Not the Girl herself, she died back in the great celebrity purge of 2016, IIRC.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
According to Wikipedia Helô Pinheiro is the Girl and still alive. She's also something like 77 years old, so...
Pat Robertson passes at age 93 

Religious broadcaster who influenced GOP politics, host of the "700 club" broadcast.
Harvard Educated Mathematician Ted Kaczinski Found dead this morning.

More known for his non-academic work.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

Treat Williams, age 71, from a motorcycle accident. The first thing I remember him in is the film of Hair, in which he played Berger.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Aslan Frontman, Christy Dignam

None of you will know who that is.

That's OK. I've no idea who any of your celebrities are.

Glenda Jackson, age 87
-- Bob

Reported in the catalog for Bud's Art Books (and confirmed by Wikipedia):

John Romita Sr. (1930-2023)

John died in his sleep on Monday [12 June 2023]. He was born in 1930. A real comics legend, who started with Atlas (Marvel in the 1950s) drawing horror, war and romance, he worked on the revival of Captain America for three issues in 1954.

He began working exclusively for DC Comics from 1958–1965 and was the artist for many of their romance comics. During these years, Romita further developed his ability to draw beautiful women, which he later became well-known for.

Romita joined Marvel in 1965, initially drawing Daredevil. In 1966, Spider-Man artist and co-creator Steve Ditko left Marvel, and Romita was chosen by writer Lee as the new artist. Within a year, The Amazing Spider-Man rose from Marvel's second-best-selling title to the company's top-seller. Romita brought a new romance style to Spider-Man comics that soon became the new house style for the character. In June 1973, Romita was promoted to Marvel's art director and heavily influenced the look of Marvel comics throughout the 1970s and 1980s.

He is credited with co-creating characters including Mary Jane Watson, the Punisher, Wolverine, and Luke Cage. Romita is the father of John Romita Jr.

-----
A strong blade, well-honed;
Where are the things it shall cut?
Why, where are they not?
RIP Sheldon Harnick, lyricist of (among other musicals) Fiddler on the Roof
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP John Goodenough, at age 100.

If you have anything with a lithium-ion battery in it, thank Mr. Goodenough for co-inventing it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Actor Julian Sands' body found five months after he went missing.
-- Bob

RIP Sue Johanson, age 93.

A description of her career might be considered NSFW in places where sex education in schools is frowned upon... so I'll point folks at her Wikipedia page instead. TL;DR: She wrote three books and a weekly newspaper column, all offering sex education. She was also the host of the call-in show Sunday Night Sex Show (Canada) / Talk Sex With Sue Johanson (USA).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Alan Arkin
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Victoria Amelina, novelist and journalist. Died on June 27, from being hit by a Russian missile.

Her first English-language non-fiction book, In War and Justice Diary: Looking at Women Looking at War, is expected to be published posthumously soon.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown