RE: Dearly Departed of 2023
RIP Milan Kundera, author of The Unbearable Lightness of Being, age 94
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RIP Francisco Ibañez age 87. Spanish cartoonist, creator of "Mortadelo y Filemón" (Mort & Phil in english translations) and many other comics
Hacker Kevin Mitnick, age 59, pancreatic cancer.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RIP Tony Bennett
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Sinead O'Connor
----
Web Home
(07-26-2023, 01:29 PM)aku Wrote: RIP Sinead O'Connor

And my CD shuffler just switched to  Sinead_O'Connor/Gospel_Oak_EP_US_Special_Limited_Edition_CD1
----
Web Home
What...? <reads article> It very coyly doesn't say what she died of, or even exactly when. Did she finally succeed at a suicide attempt?

EDIT: Apparently no one knows. Her family just simply announced her passing, and gave no cause.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
It has sort of been expected since last year. Sad, I suppose, but some level of peace at least.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(07-26-2023, 03:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: What...? <reads article> It very coyly doesn't say what she died of, or even exactly when. Did she finally succeed at a suicide attempt?

EDIT: Apparently no one knows. Her family just simply announced her passing, and gave no cause.

Update: According to a statement released by London police, "Sinéad O’Connor‘s death did not take place under suspicious circumstances". No explanation of what did happen, except that they were called to her home, where she was found dead.

Playing devil's advocate, that doesn't rule out suicide yet, just obvious suicide. But I'm having a hard time thinking of a means that wouldn't leave something nearby. The best I can come up with on short notice is a slow-acting overdose of something taken at a different location before returning home, but it seems like a whole lot of work just to obfuscate things after you're past caring. So we're probably looking at natural causes, unless something previously unreported turns up.
-- Bob

And in other news...

Randy Meisner, founding member of the Eagles, age 77.
-- Bob

The Playhouse is now empty.

RIP Paul Reubens
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Robbie Robertson
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Tom Jones just passed away.

Tom Jones Dies: Wrote Book And Lyrics For Long-Running ‘The Fantasticks’, Was 95 – Deadline
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
RIP John Warnock, co-creator of Postscript and the PDF file format, writer of the original code for Adobe Illustrator, and author of "the shortest doctoral thesis in University of Utah history."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Bob Barker, Best known for being the Host of the "Price is Right"
"Goodbye, Mr. J" 

Arleen Sorkin, actress, original inspiration and voice for Harley Quinn passed away
He's off to get that Cheeseburger in Paradise

Jimmy Buffet passes away at 76
RIP Raymond Moriyama, architect.

Among other buildings, he designed the Canadian War Museum, the Toronto Reference Library, and the Ontario Science Centre.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Steve Harwell, founding lead singer of Smash Mouth passed away 

He was in hospice care according to articles over the weekend, expected to pass soon.
RIP Gary Wright

After a battle with Parkinson's, at age 80.

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Peter C. Newman, editor and author.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
He's now said the last farewell.

RIP Roger Whittaker

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The Agent from UNCLE, the Doctor from NCIS, has answered the last hail...

'NCIS' Star David McCallum Dead at 90: 'A Scholar and a Gentleman' (msn.com)
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
Sigh.

Life has just been too... everything for me to bring myself to post this.

My father passed on back in July. I may have mentioned it to one or another of you elsewhere.

It was very sudden. He'd been having heart problems for a while, and it looks like they finally caught up with him.

I had been planning on driving up to their place to spend a couple of weeks visiting (Rochester to Boston is not an easy trip) and the Wednesday before I was to leave, I get the call.
I just sort of lost it, at that point, and I've still not found it all yet.

I was at a little local minicon lately ("Wargames among the Warplanes", held at the Geneseo warplane museum) and spent some time wandering the exhibit hall and thinking about how Dad would've loved to see it. And had to sit down for a minute and Not Cry, It's Just Something In My Eye.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Nothing wrong with crying Norway, certainly nothing wrong about crying about missing your father, or wishing you had been able to check the museum with him.