Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anime recs and requests, a new beginning
RE: Anime recs and requests, a new beginning
Man, I'm not all that into isekai and apparently that's all the rage now?

The only isekai I'm keeping up with (in manga, the anime series was just announced last month) is Risou no Himo Seikatsu (The Ideal Sponger Life), which isn't really a typical isekai because (1) MC's wife has access to magic that can let him return to Japan (he brings over an air conditioner), (2) MC is absolutely in love with his Wife/Queen and goes through all sorts of hoops in order to avoid taking concubines, (3) King-Consort MC and his wife have an heir and a spare, and (4) this story is really an excuse to examine Western European politics through royalty, technology (+magic), and trade in the Early Modern era while looking at cute girls.  When you see the Kingdom of Capua, you should really be thinking "Crown of Castille" but without all of the icky context of the Reconquista.  I really like it, but I'm sure it's not for everyone -- you'll need some interest in history and politics to really enjoy it.

I haven't seen anything newer than Tomo-chan is a Girl!, a romantic comedy about a tomboy's struggles to convince her childhood friend/classmate/fellow blackbelt that she really is a girl.  Imagine Ranma/Akane, if there were no other fiancees or curses.  Special mention to Tomo's best girlfriend Misuzu, who strikes me as the kind of schemer who would take an instant dislike to Tomoyo Daidouji from CCS.  Anyway, pretty funny, as you'd expect from an adaptation from yonkoma.  The best romantic comedy anime I've seen since Lovely Complex.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anime recs and requests, a new beginning - by Labster - 02-01-2024, 01:24 AM