Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V&V question
V&V question
Question 
I've misplaced my copy of the rulebook (I know which room it's in, but not which pile on which desk)...

How strong does a V&V character need to be to be able to dead-lift 800kg? And then walk with it for a couple of meters?

(Asking for a scenario. Fun fact of the day: a catalog briefcase, like this one or Yomiko Readman's, can hold 800 kg of gold... until it splits its seams because it's not designed to carry that much mass.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: V&V question
Carry Capacity is a function of STR, END and body weight:

[(S/10)^3 + (E/10)] * W/2 = Carry Cap

The formula works for both metric and imperial.

Carry Cap is just what it says -- the maximum weight one can carry and still move, so if someone's carry cap is 800 kgs or more, they can walk with it for as long as they need to. A quick glance at the rules shows that I seem to be remembering correctly that there are no rules for encumbrance or extra effort, but later this evening when I have the time I'll go through it more closely to double check.

In the mean time.... one way or another, you'll probably know your character's weight. So it's just a matter of figuring out what endurance and strength scores they need. If you're doing something with an existing fictional character, I suggest starting with Endurance, because that's a bit easier to ballpark from source material. That will then leave you with just the one variable.

EDIT: So... should this thread be moved into The Legendary, My Manager Is Not an Isekai Character, or somewhere else entirely? <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(06-06-2023, 03:51 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Carry Capacity is a function of STR, END and body weight:

[(S/10)^3 + (E/10)] * W/2 = Carry Cap

The formula works for both metric and imperial.

Carry Cap is just what it says -- the maximum weight one can carry and still move, so if someone's carry cap is 800 kgs or more, they can walk with it for as long as they need to. A quick glance at the rules shows that I seem to be remembering correctly that there are no rules for encumbrance or extra effort, but later this evening when I have the time I'll go through it more closely to double check.

In the mean time.... one way or another, you'll probably know your character's weight. So it's just a matter of figuring out what endurance and strength scores they need. If you're doing something with an existing fictional character, I suggest starting with Endurance, because that's a bit easier to ballpark from source material. That will then leave you with just the one variable.

Well, I know her height (174 cm) and age (16), and if BMI is anything to go by, her mass would be in the neighbourhood of 69 kg. Which means [(STR/10)^3 + (END/10)] needs to be 23.18 or higher.

Assuming 18 STR and END (not out of line for her, given her background), her carrying capacity is 263 kg. She'll have to transform and hope she gets +10 to each stat.

(06-06-2023, 03:51 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: EDIT: So... should this thread be moved into The Legendary, My Manager Is Not an Isekai Character, or somewhere else entirely? <grin>

Somewhere else entirely, in that thread of mine in Other People's Fanfiction. Smile

(So, yeah, spoiler for that story.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(06-06-2023, 04:47 PM)robkelk Wrote: Assuming 18 STR and END (not out of line for her, given her background), her carrying capacity is 263 kg. She'll have to transform and hope she gets +10 to each stat.

That's something I have yet to determine for DW-S -- I have no idea yet just what kind of physical boost the Senshi transformation gives. Unlike, say, the original Pretty Cure it's pretty rare to see them doing something physical I can use to make a guess.

Hm. Sailor Moon does do a standing high jump through a hole to get on the radio station roof in episode <mumble>. That's at least 15 feet or so, probably a bit higher to allow her an arc that lets her land on roof instead of more hole. There's rules for that I could use to back-calculate from that. Or from the roofhopping later in the season -- there's no "super jump" power, it's all based on Carry Cap, which in V&V at least suggests they get a significant strength boost.

(06-06-2023, 04:47 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 03:51 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: EDIT: So... should this thread be moved into The Legendary, My Manager Is Not an Isekai Character, or somewhere else entirely? <grin>
Somewhere else entirely, in that thread of mine in Other People's Fanfiction. Smile

(So, yeah, spoiler for that story.)

In that case I'll leave this here for now.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....