Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Podcast Recommendations
Podcast Recommendations
Since we don't appear to have a thread for podcasts worth recommending to others, here's one. Don't forget to tell folks where to find your recommendations.

I'll start the thread off with a series (or two series, depending on whether you count each year as a different podcast) about writing. Ever wonder what it would be like to step outside of your comfort zone and write something completely different? Three comedy writers did, and the result was the podcast Let’s Make A Sci-Fi!

They started at "What kind of story do we want to tell?", went through the process with some help from various Hollywood insiders, and ended up with a full read-through of the script for episode 1 of a reasonably-hard-SF series they call "Progeny". You may have heard of the voice talent they recruited for the script read-through: Mark "Commander Shepard" Meer, Rainn "Dwight Schrute" Wilson, Suleka "Arlene Branch" Mathew, Carly "Lucinda Pearl" Pope, Ashleigh "Rainbow Dash" Ball, Alessandro "Felix Gaeta" Juliani, Richard "Megatron" Newman, and more.

The project went over so well -- as a podcast, not a pitch to a network * -- that they did it again with Let’s Make A Rom-Com. I think they pulled in all of their favours for the first season's read-through; the read-through for "His Ex-Girlfriend is Salma Hayek" was done by the writers and their spouses.

Both are available at the "Lets Make A" page on CBC Listen or Podtail. Presumably one can find them "wherever you get your podcasts" as well.

* Which is a shame, because I'd love to see "Progeny" as a TV series (preferably not produced by Sy-Fy, though; this isn't space opera), or maybe an anime (if Takashi Watanabe is looking for work and he directs it like he did Starship Operators). Maybe we can add it to My Apartment Manager is not an Isekai Character if we ever get that setting into space.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Podcast Recommendations
The Adventuring Party.

A Local Irish Gaming Podcast that's been going weekly for over 700 episodes.

Over the course of 2 years, they reviewed First Edition Dungeon Masters Guide As the TOME OF GYGAX

This thing was Mad.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RE: Podcast Recommendations
Sounds like an interesting listen. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

(07-17-2023, 02:35 PM)Dartz Wrote: This thing was Mad.

You're telling me? Back in college when I was creating my "Narth" campaign world, I read the entire thing cover to cover and took notes on every bit of campaign lore from Gygax's Greyhawk campaign that had snuck into it -- every city, every nation, every little bit of implicit or explicit history -- to incorporate into my campaign so I wouldn't have to change anything that was written somewhere a player would read or hear it. This was in 1981 -- well before any kind of unified campaign world was sold as a standalone product. All you had was what you could extract from the books and the modules. So yeah... there was a time I knew this book inside and out and yeah, parts of it are kind of nuts.

But I'll never forget the time I sprang the Potion Miscibility table on a player who had just drunk two in a row. "The what?"
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....