Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, the forums (and my website) disappeared for a few hours.
Yes, the forums (and my website) disappeared for a few hours.
Apparently something at my host needed rebooting, and until that was done everything was 503. I trust no one was inconvenienced too greatly.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Yes, the forums (and my website) disappeared for a few hours.
... Now what makes me wonder is why I didn't see this before asking separately. I don't think I opened the subforum tab that long before getting back and posting it...
--
‎noli esse culus
It looks like we posted our threads simultaneously. I had forgotten to acknowledge what had happened as soon as it had been fixed, and posted that note a couple hours later -- at pretty much the same moment you were posting your query.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Huh, must have come back to look again just as yours had flipped to "two hours ago" and mine was still on "one."

(and I know you've looked and can't do anything about that X hours ago thing due to the templates being a bewildering mess of fragments referencing other fragments to assemble each page, but that alleged "feature" still and will always annoy the hell out of me)
--
‎noli esse culus
I count myself as extraordinarily lucky that I've been able to figure out the two or three things that I have managed to customize all by my lonesome...
-- Bob

As a non-power-user on a Unix-like who tries to actually understand what console strings found online that are supposed to fix this or that problem actually do before running them blindly, I grok that feeling perfectly Smile
--
‎noli esse culus
I notice the guest user numbers have exploded again, and personally the phone has been ringing of f the hook with robocalls and scammers. Is it spambot season all over, or am I just lucky?
--
‎noli esse culus
Huh. I've kind of gotten out of the habit of checking the numbers, as I pretty much expect at least a hundred or so. August does seem to be the season, doesn't it? It was three years ago this coming Monday that we hit our high water mark with over 800 simultaneous users, after all. I'll have to duck into the Admin control panel and see how many intercepts my various antispam tools have made in the past couple weeks.

And back from doing so. Interesting, it looks like the bots are mostly reading the board. There have been no more intercepts of spammers than is usual, and it's been at least a month (and maybe more) since the last spammer got far enough to request membership approval. <shrug> Maybe we're getting 300 large language models scraping the board in the hope that we look like genuine humans communicating with each other.

Won't they be surprised? <grin>
-- Bob

If ChatGPT's been reading my musings it probably explains the reported drops in quality.

Now if only I could teach it despair.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Huh, I thought I'd put this in a new thread. Well, I guess it's fine.

It's even vaguely possible that with the kids home from school all day something ended up attracting Google or some social media thing to bring up a link somewhere, and there could be a decent proportion of legit guest readers. Vaguely.

It would be funny if it was a LLM and my stupid atnick that began as a typo for "dragon" nigh thirty years ago ended up starting to appear as a character name in generated AI stuff.
--
‎noli esse culus