Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
META: Looking for fics where the SI gets the love interest and the story keeps going
META: Looking for fics where the SI gets the love interest and the story keeps going
Question 
I'm working on a possible trope for ATT, and I'm coming up dry on examples. Does anybody know of anything that I don't have yet?

Here's the trope description:

Quote:So you're Trapped in Another World, one that you recognize from fiction back home. And it's a work with a character that you really, really liked. And you've met that character here. Wonder of wonders, after the character gets to know you, they really, really like you, too; when you asked whether they want to get married, They Do. Congratulations! But this story doesn't end there with a Happily Ever After; you and your special other still have a life to live together.

Married Mai Waifu For Real is when what would otherwise be an "Author Avatar gets the character" Wish Fulfillment story continues after the wedding. This is not just about getting the girl (or whoever); that's Happily Ever After. This is about telling stories about full-fledged relationships; the characters have to balance their work and family lives, and they have children if they've been together for long enough.

In many ways, this is a Deconstruction of Happily Ever After, done in a way that doesn't invalidate that trope's basic premise.

Obviously, this is a fanfic trope.

I need at least ten examples to even suggest this as a trope. (Most tropers only need three to five. Bob and I are admins, and are held to a higher standard.)

I have three: Undocumented Features (which counts as one example, not five), the MLP:FIM fic cycle New Beginnings, and ... er... Isekai by Moonlight (the only reason they aren't married yet is because they're too young).

What have I missed? Links to the fics are requested, please, along with who the self-insert and the fictional spouse are.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: META: Looking for fics where the SI gets the love interest and the story keeps going
The 'New Beginnings' series by Hiver? Guy from Earth gets zapped to Ponyville and turned into a unicorn. He eventually marries Luna, but the story keeps going. Of course he does keep picking up more wives along the way, so I'm not entirely certain it counts for this trope.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...lp.346599/
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
RE: META: Looking for fics where the SI gets the love interest and the story keeps going
Beware of Chicken.
the Lead Character has gotten married and is happily farming, raising their kid, and avoiding as much cultivator drama as he can while his Disciples go off and have adventures.
(10-10-2023, 07:04 PM)Norgarth Wrote: Beware of Chicken.
the Lead Character has gotten married ...

To whom?

And where is this story cycle found?

(When I ask for three things, giving me only one doesn't help.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-10-2023, 07:04 PM)Norgarth Wrote: Beware of Chicken.
the Lead Character has gotten married and is happily farming, raising their kid, and avoiding as much cultivator drama as he can while his Disciples go off and have adventures.

Beware of Chicken (https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39408/...of-chicken) doesn't count since Jin didn't get transmigrated to an existing setting, but to an original Xanxia style world.
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
(10-10-2023, 05:30 PM)Shepherd Wrote: Of course he does keep picking up more wives along the way, so I'm not entirely certain it counts for this trope.

Oh, that isn't an issue. Of New Beginnings, Undocumented Features and Isekai by Moonlight, only the story that I'm writing doesn't have a polygamous relationship.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Does it count if it's an Overlord (LN/anime) fic where the insert used the game's NPC creation system to make a Rule-63 of a character from other media to be their waifu before the canon plot line even begins? (And continued on into that timeline, of course.) The requested information is escap9ing me for the moment, but it was distinctive enough - MC got the devs to make him a custoim class that anounts to "be the dragon," with his gal Rule-63 Emiya Shirou, and there were several other features I should be able to use to fish it up, once I'm nopt so sick we were concerned it might be the lamest case of being late to the party ever with COVID-19. Test says no, though, I'm just just regular sick, which is quite enough to have my brain squirreling off in random dir3ections.

Um. Case in point. Yes, sorry about rambling, does that sound like it should count?
--
‎noli esse culus
I believe Twisted Path would count.
(10-11-2023, 12:39 PM)Jinx999 Wrote: I believe Twisted Path would count.

It would? Who did Twister marry, in what installment? I don't remember anything like that.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(10-11-2023, 12:15 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Does it count if it's an Overlord (LN/anime) fic where the insert used the game's NPC creation system to make a Rule-63 of a character from other media to be their waifu before the canon plot line even begins? (And continued on into that timeline, of course.) The requested information is escap9ing me for the moment, but it was distinctive enough  - MC got the devs to make him a custoim class that anounts to "be the dragon," with his gal Rule-63 Emiya Shirou, and there were several other features I should be able to use to fish it up, once I'm nopt so sick we were concerned it might be the lamest case of being late to the party ever with COVID-19. Test says no, though, I'm just just regular sick, which is quite enough to have my brain squirreling off in random dir3ections.

Um. Case in point. Yes, sorry about rambling, does that sound like it should count?

Well, it does have the required elements: character gets isekaied, known fictional character and isekai character fall for each other, they marry, and the story continues. It just does some playing with the "known fictional character" part and uses the trope in the backstory, from the way you've described it.

I'd say it counts. If you can get me a link to the fic and the name of the isekai character, we'd be good.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-11-2023, 12:54 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

It would? Who did Twister marry, in what installment? I don't remember anything like that.

Sorry, I didn't notice that the original post said specifically married (as opposed to committed and going steady).
Oh! How did it take me so long to think of this? Neon Exodus Evangelion is sortakinda an example, if you're one of those readers who insists DJ Croft is a "disguised" SI despite EPU's claims to the contrary. The end of Apotheosis Now has DJ basically proposing to Asuka, and the fragmentary "sequel" material that's appeared in the years since make it clear that he made good on it, and they've been together for at least a couple decades after.

EDIT: Also, I just found this on the Self-Insert Fic page at ATT, from the Literature section:

Quote:Halfway between fanfic and literature, in The Beekeeper's Apprentice we are introduced to Mary Russell. It is unrevealed whether her middle name is Sue, but Mary is a Sherlock Holmes fan who runs into the aging detective in Sussex (at a point after where the Conan Doyle stories end). Mary eventually gets a degree in theology and marries Holmes. She is of course written by an author who is a Sherlock Holmes fan with a degree in theology. However, the series is written by a professional author and you can buy it in bookstores.

It's referring to the "Mary Russell" series by Laurie R. King.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(10-11-2023, 04:37 PM)Jinx999 Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 12:54 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Sorry, I didn't notice that the original post said specifically married (as opposed to committed and going steady).

Well, some playing with a trope is always permitted, but in this case the couple has to be at least equivalent-to-married. I'd allow Ed and Minerva as a couple if Minerva was a previously-existing fictional character, but I don't remember Twister ever qualifying for this trope.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-12-2023, 09:20 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh!  How did it take me so long to think of this?  Neon Exodus Evangelion is sortakinda an example, if you're one of those readers who insists DJ Croft is a "disguised" SI despite EPU's claims to the contrary.  The end of Apotheosis Now has DJ basically proposing to Asuka, and the fragmentary "sequel" material that's appeared in the years since make it clear that he made good on it, and they've been together for at least a couple decades after.

EDIT:  Also, I just found this on the Self-Insert Fic page at ATT, from the Literature section:

Quote:Halfway between fanfic and literature, in The Beekeeper's Apprentice we are introduced to Mary Russell. It is unrevealed whether her middle name is Sue, but Mary is a Sherlock Holmes fan who runs into the aging detective in Sussex (at a point after where the Conan Doyle stories end). Mary eventually gets a degree in theology and marries Holmes. She is of course written by an author who is a Sherlock Holmes fan with a degree in theology. However, the series is written by a professional author and you can buy it in bookstores.

It's referring to the "Mary Russell" series by Laurie R. King.

Thanks, Bob. They're going on the list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-11-2023, 02:51 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 12:15 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Does it count if it's an Overlord (LN/anime) fic where the insert used the game's NPC creation system to make a Rule-63 of a character from other media to be their waifu before the canon plot line even begins? (And continued on into that timeline, of course.)

Well, it does have the required elements: character gets isekaied, known fictional character and isekai character fall for each other, they marry, and the story continues. It just does some playing with the "known fictional character" part and uses the trope in the backstory, from the way you've described it.

I'd say it counts. If you can get me a link to the fic and the name of the isekai character, we'd be good.

Okay, got it. The character's name (as in the name of the person whose body he wakes up in, and as far as I can recall the only name he uses besides diminutives and his Yggdrasil handle Ancient One in the story) is Kitsugiru Keirou, and the fic is Chaotic Good by Mister Grin.

It appears to only be posted on FFn

MC and his Maidens are not technically married, but he's a dragon and they're his treasures, and he has literally burned a world to the bedrock out of spite before when Yggdrasil was flourishing, so enough said.
--
‎noli esse culus
This is very specific. I mean, Tell The World We Tried continues after the marriage with the sequel, but 1. that's a sequel and 2. the waifu isn't canonical to the setting: she could exist there but she's not drawn from the setting's canon.
Sean Gaffney's two Sailor Moon stories might count, tangentially.

Made of Stone deals with him getting the girl (Hotaru, in this case) and while the sequel, Trials and Errors (co-written with Jeff Hosmer) isn't about their family life (it's a 10,000-Pluto pileup) the launching point for the story is something that is found during their daughter's 10th birthday party.
42=19
The resulting fics don't have to be about their family lives, just acknowledge that they have them.
-- Bob

Hmmm, Hiver (the author of the New Beginnings' pony fic) has another series, that might (or might not) count. 
That First Step (start of the series), Atregos, the MC has wed 3 females and they seem to have a fairly stable polycule (assuming I'm using that term correctly).
The issue is that all 3 of his wives are from World of Warcraft (can never remember the name of the planet), but I don't think any are official characters.
Kind of a borderline case, depending on how much you see him as an author avatar, but Harold Shea married Belphebe in the second book of the series, this episode a fanfic of The Faerie Queene called “The Mathematics of Magic”.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(10-14-2023, 12:20 AM)Labster Wrote: Kind of a borderline case, depending on how much you see him as an author avatar, but Harold Shea married Belphebe in the second book of the series, this episode a fanfic of The Faerie Queene called “The Mathematics of Magic”.

"A little taller, and a trifle thinner than most people, he would have been handsome if his nose were shorter and his eyes farther apart."

[Image: 596px-Heinlein-decamp-and-asimov.jpg]

(de Camp is in the middle, between Heinlein and Asimov. Photo from Wikimedia Commons.)

Yeah, I'd say he qualifies.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-13-2023, 07:37 PM)Norgarth Wrote: ... but I don't think any are official characters.

Alas, that disqualifies them from this trope.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
So would an insert in a game where charactrer designs are fixed for each job class (any Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, that sort of thing) pairing off with thier favorite from that count, or not? Disgaea Professor by whatever name is my waifu for laifu, frex.
--
‎noli esse culus
I think the trope is flexible enough to allow for that, as long as they are the same characters no matter who plays the game.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Does some of the Fenspace stuff count also since there are to many bloody self-inserts there and they are married...I mean Our hero and overlord is even in there and he is married in the story setting.