Mason Williams, Classical Gas

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
SOTD?
Uhm, Bob?
Where'd the song go?

--
John F Kerry -- For people who think Saddam Hussein would've made a great president.
Song of the Day, Part II, 3/10/04
Classical Gas is an instrumental, thus, no lyrics...
Odd choice for a song of the day...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: SOTD?
It's an instrumental, and a cool one at that.
So, yeah, "Song of the day" is a bit of a misnomer. But "Instrumental of the day" would surely have confused someone...

-- Bob
---------
Re: Song of the Day, Part II, 3/10/04
Quote:
Odd choice for a song of the day...
It's a pivotal part of a little scene from DW6 -- the Children, for reasons I won't go into right now, witness Doug doing a full-out, no-holds-barred (but no powers in use) hand-to-hand practice session -- with "Classical Gas" playing on his helmet in the corner, giving him a rhythm to work to. It starts with him almost doing a kata to the slower intro, and then exploding into full "combat ping-pong ball" mode when the music opens up.
I'm hoping the scene survives the completion of the story; there's no guarantee that when I reach the point where I envision it, that it will actually work. As I noted over in the DW2 forum, I recently had to nuke a part of the ending that I'd had waiting for literally six years, because after all the development in the mean time, it no longer fit. I don't see that happening here, but it might.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Song of the Day, Part II, 3/10/04
[JERRY COLONNA]Ah, yes! Fascinating, isn't it?[/JERRY COLONNA]
Somehow, I could see him then segueing into "Saber Dance" from Gayeneh.
I can just see Asuka's face at that scene. Envy out the tuchus!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
Re: Songs to juggle flaming chainsaws by
We might as well add Kabalevsky's "Gallop" to the list then.
I don't know either of them; got to go looking for them tonight, I guess...

-- Bob
---------
You know them, but you don't know you know them.
"Saber Dance" is a very peppy, circusy piece of classical music that was used in an episode of The Simpsons when Bart was playing with Grampa's false teeth.
I know I've heard "Gallop," but I can't think of where right off the top of my head...
Another source of great, wacky instrumentals is the works of Raymond Scott, a "jazzish" composer from the late 20's and 30's. His best known work is "Powerhouse," which was used extensively by Carl Stalling for scoring big machinery scenes in the Looney Tunes cartoons.

-- James Nicoll
I know of a "Saber Dance", but I think the one I'm familiar with is by Rimsky-Korsakov...
And, oh, am I familiar with Raymond Scott. I have a really, really great CD of his (not to mention the first two Carl Stalling Project CDs).

-- Bob
---------