Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teasers from "Drunkard's Walk: Angel Baby"
Teasers from "Drunkard's Walk: Angel Baby"
Because I'm feeling generous. Or because I want to torture you. Take your pick.
Given my plans, it'll be a while before this one comes out, although I have a lot of it written. And there's no guarantee that the scenelets below won't undergo some sea changes, or even be deleted, before I release the final version. Just so you know.
Enjoy.
-- Bob
* * *Misato stuck her hand out. "Captain Misato Katsuragi, NERV."He took her hand and shook it. His grip was warm and dry. "DougSangnoir, sensei and sole proprietor. What can I do for you,Captain?"Behind her, the door banged as the last of the student/parentpairs left the storefront. "Well, I'm the guardian for a coupleof kids who need a bit of specialized physical training. I couldprobably take them through it by myself, but since you're hereand we live just upstairs... well, I figured, why not get aprofessional to help?"Sangnoir nodded. "Makes sense. So you wanted to find out myrates and hours, talk about the regimen you want to set, stufflike that?""Yes." She nodded in return, and then the next step suddenlycrystallized for her; whether she had known it consciously ornot, it was what she had known she would do. "But first I wantedto test you -- to see if you're up to the task."A delighted grin broke across his face. "You want to spar withme, to see how good I really am?""If you don't mind." Seeing that grin, Misato suddenly grewnervous. "I have a little training myself.""Not at all. Let me just lock up the front door and put out the'closed' sign." He stepped through the door and into the room,then waved her on into the dojo proper. "There's a dressing roomthrough the door in the far wall, and a few spare gis." Heglanced her up and down, a quick professional appraisal."There's one in there that should fit you." * * *She seemed hardly a human being, she was so quiet and still; sheactually reminded me of a couple of androids I'd encountered,back home, and without thinking about it, I dropped intomagesight just to make sure I was looking at a living being andnot some kind of automaton.And got the surprise of my life.Her aura -- hell, let's be frank, after my experiences in theprevious worlds I'd visited -- her *soul* was strangely thin andtaut, as if it were being stretched and drawn by somethingoutside of her. But that wasn't the surprising thing. It wasthis: Within that pale envelope of lambent gold, three strandsof colored light twined and flowed around each other. The lasttime I had seen an aura like that, I had been helping a fallengoddess regain her place in Heaven. Whoever this child was, shehad Celestial blood in her."Sensei?" That soft whisper again, and I realized that I hadbeen frozen in the moment of watching her aura. I metaphoricallyshook myself back to awareness, smiled at the girl, and bowedagain, this time deeper. Much deeper."I would be honored to be your teacher, Ayanami-san," I said. * * *"But I *want* to run away!" he wailed."I don't blame you," I replied. "You're fighting some of thegodawfulest things I've ever seen, and I've seen some realwinners in my time. Anyone who wouldn't be afraid of them is afool.""But Asuka and Rei aren't afraid of them!""Asuka is stupidly overconfident," I declared with a convictionborn of intimate self-knowledge. "See 'fool,' above. AndRei..." I paused and thought for a moment. "Rei is...different. She may not experience fear in the same way as you.I'm not sure."Look," I continued. "Imagine a pair of twins. One is normal.The other has a nerve disease so he can't feel pain.""Okay," Shinji ventured, scrunching up his face with the effortof visualization."Now imagine that someone they love is trapped in a burninghouse. They both run into the worst part of the flames to rescuethat person. Which one is the more brave -- the one who can'tfeel the fire burning him, or the one who *can* but keeps ongoing anyway?"Shinji's eyes widened a hair. I think I was starting to getacross to him. "The one who can feel the fire," he said slowly,thoughtfully, and I nodded."Now imagine they're not twins, but triplets. And the thirdtriplet has a nerve disease, too -- only it makes him feel pain*more* than normal. He runs into the fire to rescue a loved one,too. Now who's the bravest?""The one who gets hurt easiest," Shinji answered withouthesitation.I took a swig of my soda. "And that, teishi, is the lesson fortoday. Rei is the triplet who feels no pain. Asuka is thetriplet with normal senses. And you, teishi, are the sensitivetriplet. Because you do not run from the fire, no matter howmuch you want to, no matter how much you know you will be burntand hurt, *you* are the bravest. Because you know what willhappen to the ones you love if you let the pain -- the *fear* --master and control you, you do not let it. You instead draw onit for strength."His head snapped up and he gave me a look of utter shock andsurprise. "But...""Major Katsuragi told me once that you're the best of the pilots.I don't think that this is a coincidence at all." I tipped thecan up and sucked down the last of the soda. Then I stood andtossed the empty can at the recycle bin, bouncing it off twovending machines and the back wall before it dropped in with therest. "Think on that for a while, Shinji. We'll talk more afterthe next class, okay?""Sure," he said softly, his eyes already distant as he gatheredup his gear and headed for the door. *Good. I think I've gottento him,* I grinned to myself. * * *Asuka swore in German under her breath, then waved a hand toencompass the whole of the apartment. "I mean, look at thisplace! Doesn't whoever you live with ever clean up?" A thoughtstruck her. "Hey, who *do* you live with?"Rei's puzzlement grew more obvious. "Live with? What do youmean?"Asuka stamped her foot and swore louder. Why did Rei insist onacting so dumb? "I mean, who's your guardian? You know, likeMisato is supposed to be taking care of Shinji and me -- althoughif you ask *me* it's more like *we're* taking care of *her* butthat's not important now so never mind." Asuka drew a deepbreath. "Who did NERV assign you to live with? Who's takingcare of you?""No one," Rei replied softly. "I live here alone."Asuka stared at her for a few seconds in disbelief. "Alone?Really alone?""Yes.""You're kidding. Really, really alone?""Yes." Rei blinked once. "Why should the repetition of 'really'make any difference in my answer?""Never mind that." Asuka dismissed Rei's question with animpatient wave. As she glanced around the dim, dirty room, shefelt a familiar anger growing in her breast. Not at Rei, but atthe faceless bureaucracy of NERV that dropped her into this...this... cesspool of an apartment and didn't even see fit to setsomeone to watch over her. How dare they! Rei was only barely afriend, but scheisse! Asuka couldn't see this and not care. Forall that she was weird, Rei was nice in her own way, and weird ornot she shouldn't have to live like this.A decision suddenly crystallized for Asuka."Pack your things, Wonder Girl," the redhead suddenly barked,startling Rei into an involuntary flinch. "You're moving out.""But I have not been assigned new quarters by NERV..." Reiprotested."Screw them!" Asuka declared. "You're moving in with us. Now.""But...""No arguments. We can put you on the spare futon in my roomuntil we get you a proper bed, and there's plenty of space in mycloset. And if we run out, there's even more in Shinji's. Grabsome of your clothes and your bathroom stuff -- anything elseyou've got, we can come back for later. But you're movingtoday." * * *"The Magi confirm Blue Pattern... no, cancel that. The Magi have*upgraded* the threat level on the woman in Terminal Dogma to...*White* Pattern?" Hyuuga looked over his shoulder at Ritsuko andIkari. "What the hell's a *White* Pattern?" he demanded. "Whatwould be *worse* than an Angel?"Ritsuko blanched, and worked her mouth soundlessly. Behind andabove her, Gendo Ikari stood suddenly. "Impossible!" hebellowed, and behind him, Fyuutsuki momentarily winced. "Nothere, not now! There is nothing in the scrolls to even suggestthis!" * * *
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Teasers from "Drunkard's Walk: Angel Baby"
Torture, definitely torture. Because of our conversations, I know enough to be satisfied by this. But knowing how I feal from Gryhon's teaser posts (and knowing that they usually lead to a posting within a few weeks), and given the indefinite time table, you are an evil, evil man.
Well Done! [Image: smile.gif]
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
AAARRGGHH!!!
Bad enough that Chapter 12 is on interminable hiatus...
Ooohhh just TWIST that friggin knife why don't you?!? >_<
At least you seem to be rejecting Anno's "all the relationships fall apart and everyone spirals into their little shells" and instead going for the Eyrie route of elevating the characters and their relationships so that they become better. That's good. I like all the trappings of the Evangelion series. I even appreciate Evangelion for being willing to completely deconstruct the giant robot mythos and turn it on it's ear.
Doesn't mean that I like what happened to the characters (well, maybe Gendo... but he deserved what he got) at all. And what happened with Asuka in both the series and the final movie... brrr... I've said it before and I'll say it again - Anno, you bastard, that was _completely_ uncalled for!
And am I mistaken, or am I seeing just a hint of In Nomine included? I could be really reaching on this...
What would be a "white" pattern? Well if a blue pattern is an Angel, than a White Pattern I'm going to guess is a god or goddess? Hmmm...
Skuld the technomancer would either be fascinated with or utterly appalled by the Evangelion world. Probably both.
-Logan
Re: AAARRGGHH!!!
Curse you, Darklighter!!!! You have swiped the very speculations I wished to make right out from under my nose!
I vow... I'll get you next time....

Seriously, though... I was wondering if he was going to blend with InNomine too; However, its a bit much to say that's the case just from LT's comparison of Rei's soul to the woman he was helping return to heaven.
After all, Cannon-(Fodder)Rei (Hey, that seems to be the way that blaggard Gendo sees her!!) is effectivly cloned from Lillith, an Angel herself. So of course she'd have an Angelic aura.
I can't help but wonder just how much Doug has deduced about NERV by the time Misato shows up."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
> I can't help but wonder just how much Doug has deduced about NERV by the time Misato shows up.
Almost nothing. He arrives right after the cubic Angel, and is utterly confused by the packet of evacuation instructions he gets when he rents an apartment. So he mostly ignores them. The next Angel is entirely at sea, so nothing happens in Tokyo-3, and the Angel after that -- well, let me just say that Misato comes to Doug on Saturday the 5th, and needs the kids trained by Friday the 11th. During that time, he quizzes his students and employer to learn, well, just about as much as Toji, Aida and Hiraki know... But until then -- well, as we've seen at times in DW2, Doug's a big believer in "if it doesn't affect me directly, I'm not worrying about it".
Of course, it will directly affect him. Eventually.

-- Bob
---------
> And am I mistaken, or am I seeing just a hint of In Nomine included? I could be really reaching on this...
See my comments in the "DW5" thread. Further deponent sayeth not.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
"if it doesn't affect me directly, I'm not worrying about it".
Well, this is Doug we're talking about, the man with the perpetual Infinite Improbability Field...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
> Well, this is Doug we're talking about, the man with the perpetual Infinite Improbability Field...
Well, not infinite -- he stays more or less in one place most of the time, after all.

-- Bob
---------
Shroedinger's Superhero
POTENTIALLY OBSCURE OMAKE:
Setting: A box in an empty room with wires hooked up to it.
Action: Doug Bursts out of the top of the box and then shouts - "WHERE THE HELL IS HEISENBURG!! I WANT A WORD WITH HIM!""
^_^
-Logan
(Oh, I ain't got no... black bodies...
damn... cadence is off...)
Re: Shroedinger's Superhero
. , I say.

("I dig that cat 'cause he's really gone!")
-- Bob
---------
Ops, man
You know, I *guess* you could have Misato as a martial artist . . . I just never thought about it . . .
I guess she has to stay fit somehow, given her horrific eating habits, but I've always seen her as a gun girl.
Though, to be very frank, I think having them "spar" is a bit gratuitous, though I will admit it would make a fun scene.
Re: Ops, man
Quote:
You know, I *guess* you could have Misato as a martial artist . . . I just never thought about it . . .
I wouldn't actually call her an "artist", at least not in the sense that most would use it. What she is, is a military officer in what amounts to a combat command, and most forces these days include a simple, stripped down, lethal combat art in their training.
Quote:
I guess she has to stay fit somehow, given her horrific eating habits
I'm not sure she uses it to keep trim -- given canon material I'm more of the opinion that she probably has a truncated large intestine and thus doesn't absorb as many nutritients from a given meal as someone else would; basically her damage from Second Impact resulted in a kind of "stomach stapling". (Also explains her alcohol intake, too, probably.)
Quote:
I think having them "spar" is a bit gratuitous,
How so?
Quote:
though I will admit it would make a fun scene.
Actually, you'll never really see it. It goes from Doug saying "begin!" to Misato yielding. What's important is not the fight, but a) what Doug learns, b) the beginning of the changes in Misato, and c) the establishment of his relationship with Misato and the kids.

-- Bob
---------
Again, re-reading these after the move promted this Omake moment:
Quote:
"The Magi confirm Blue Pattern... no, cancel that. The Magi have
*upgraded* the threat level on the woman in Terminal Dogma to...
*White* Pattern?" Hyuuga looked over his shoulder at Ritsuko and
Ikari. "What the hell's a *White* Pattern?" he demanded. "What
would be *worse* than an Angel?"
"Are you a God?" Maya suddenly quiped, doing a very credible impersonation of Zuul from Ghostbusters, causing Gendo's glasses to fall off and everyone else to break into laughter.
"What ever you do, say YES!" Added Ritsuko, before breaking into laughter herself.
"CUT!!!" Groaned Author-Bob.
"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
Quote:
"Are you a God?" Maya suddenly quiped, doing a very credible impersonation of Zuul from Ghostbusters, causing Gendo's glasses to fall off and everyone else to break into laughter.
"Rei," Asuka intoned seriously, "when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!"

-- Bob
---------
OOO.... That is just soooo...... Evil, Bob. [Image: smile.gif] "I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
nitpick? me?
pshaw. is simply bringing up that mankind (and I think they meant it as a whole) is the 18th angel nitpicking?
it is?
well, beeeeeedaaaaaahhh!!!
[Image: tongue.gif]
-murmur
--Kodocha as Full Metal Panic!
Hayama as Sousuke: "Shut up. It's just a coincidence."
Sana-chan as Kana-chan: "That AS is just standing there punching the air! LAAAAAAAAAAAME!"
Quote:
OOO.... That is just soooo...... Evil, Bob.
You want evil? Go search the EPU forums for "Angelbusters".

-- Bob
---------
unfortunatly, the link is down. Seems he's doing something with his server. [Image: frown.gif] "I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
Angelbusters
Oddly (or not) I happen to have a copy of it at hand...
Quote:
>"I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from
>my childhood. Something that could never, ever possibly destroy us."
"Good thinkin', Rei. ... Wait a second, you didn't have a childhood."
"NOBODY steps on a church in my town!"
"You need to get out more, get a little bit more sun."
"This city is about to face a disaster of biblical proportions!"
>"Rei has gone bye-bye, Ikari. What have you got left?"
>
"Sorry Dr. Akagi, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought..."
"If I'm wrong, nothing happens. I go to Terminal Dogma. Peacefully. Quietly. I'll enjoy it. But if I'm right. Gendou. You. Will have saved the lives. Of millions of registered voters."
"... Get him out of here."
>"We'd like to get a sample of your brain tissue."
>"WAUGH!"
"Okay. So. She's a penguin."

It's not in true order, now off I go to beat my computer over the optic drives with XP.
--Rod.H
"Charge to 200! Clear!" *bzzit* *foomp* "Well defibin' a PC's not good"
Re: Angelbusters
Rod, thanks for the repost! I remember writing some of those lines. If only your listing had the link to that great NGE/Ghostbusters image, though. I know I have a copy somewhere, but I'm not at home at the moment so I can't go looking for it. Maybe tonight...

-- Bob
---------
I've got that rattleing 'round my system too, but instead here's the link to it at the Artists site.
www.3wa.org/sidhe/misc/evabust3.jpg
--Rod.H
"Huh, what the feck is Bono doin' to those 'S'es" -- Me about the extract of U2's 'Live in Boston' appearing on the 'Electrical Storm' single.
Bob...
...among Rei's new wardrobe...
...a pair of hair clips...
...with cat ears.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
One of the things I love about that image is the fact that it uses the only official unofficial Angel design put out by Gainax. For those who don't know the story, there was a contest at some point during Evangelion's run -- the prize was an "official" drawing of an Eva facing off against the winner's Angel design. I have a copy of it which I use every once in a while for wallpaper, and basically, the "marshmallow angel" is this one, with the hat and collar and whatnot. You can find a copy of the image at faq.pen3.cjb.net/diemay.jpg and information about the contest, the winner, and his custom angel can be found in an entry in the EVA faq at home.iprimus.com.au/%61%7...iemayAngel

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
...among Rei's new wardrobe...
...a pair of hair clips...
...with cat ears.
Maybe. Maybe. She's going to have to come considerably further out of her shell before we go that far.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Maybe. Maybe. She's going to have to come considerably further out of her shell before we go that far.
They go with ANGEL 00. ^_^
And, possibly, at some later point:
"And, for this test we'll need you to hold at least..." Ritsuko glanced up, then boggled slightly. She stared a moment, then smiled a slight, 'i-cant-believe-im-seeing-this' smile. "You have nice hair."
Rei took out the hairclips as she got ready to change. "one should use one's better features to advantage."
Blessed be.
-n
(Echoing back to that little discussion they'd have had earlier, about socks and the legs that wear them.)
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."