Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quote of the Day
Quote of the Day
“Life only demands from you the strength you possess. Only one feat is possible — not to have run away.”
– Dag Hammarskjöld, Markings
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Heh.

And in the fury of this darkest hour
I will be your light
A lifetime for this destiny
For I am Winter born
And in this moment I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
-- CrüXshadows, "Winterborn (This Sacrifice)"

A sign of health is that we don't become undone by fear and trembling, but take it as a message that it's time to stop struggling and look directly at what threatens us.
-- Pema Chodron, Buddhist nun, author

to be nobody but yourself in a world
which is doing its best night and day
to make you like everybody else
means to fight the hardest battle
any human being can fight and
never stop fighting.
-- e.e. cummings

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of fear.
-- Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

The only things I regret not doing are the things I didn't do because I was too afraid. Life is too short to live in fear.
-- Christian Slater as 'Julian Poe'

To see a man fearless in dangers, untainted with lusts, happy in adversity, composed in a tumult, and laughing at all those things which are generally either coveted or feared, all men must acknowledge that this can be from nothing else but a beam of divinity that influences a mortal body.
-- Seneca

It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable.
-- Eric Hoffer, The Passionate State of Mind, 1954

Long as you're not afraid, nobody can run your life for you. Remember that. Hell is being scared of things. Heaven is refusing to be scared.
-- Tom Robbins

Darkness in the morning
Shadows on the land
Certain individuals
Aren't sticking to the plan.
-- Warren Zevon

Due to circumstances beyond my control,
I am master of my fate and captain of my soul.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
-- Litany Against Fear, Frank Herbert's Dune

I think teaching that one to Shinji, and making him honestly believe in it, will make him one-hundred percent more awesome.

So... in the grand tradition of other recent works like "Shinji and Warhammer 40K" and "Riddle of Steel", methinks I see an entire fic in the offing there... Steal a device from "Thousand Shinji", send a Bene Gesserit back in time, and have her teach Shinji. Stir thoroughly and pour into Tokyo-3...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I don't know. Thought it says a lot about my childhood that my first thought when reading the lines 'Fear is the mind-killer' is an anthropomorhic puppy, and a worm in a super-suit.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:So... in the grand tradition of other recent works like "Shinji and Warhammer 40K" and "Riddle of Steel", methinks I see an entire fic in the offing there... Steal a device from "Thousand Shinji", send a Bene Gesserit back in time, and have her teach Shinji. Stir thoroughly and pour into Tokyo-3...
Problem: a Gesserit would never teach Shinji anything, except perhaps the Litany Against Fear itself. When the Kwisatz Haderach came one generation too early for their plans, figurative heads were rolling in the Order. They'd never go so far as to give Bene Gesserit training to someone from before the order was founded. (At least, not if the Gesserit in question came from around the start of the series; I've only read a few Dune books, and where I left off, things were in so much flux that it was pretty much impossible to predict anyone's behaviour.)

From what little I've been able to grok, pretty much all Bene Gesserit have their own agenda. If an appropriately minded Bene Gesserit were warped into Eva-verse, she'd probably take to Shinji in a flash. For one, while he's no Kwisatz Haderach, he does gain access to what is arguably an even greater power. For another... he does have potential.

Also, practically all the women are going to wind up calling her Reverend Mother by the end of the fic.

And, oh yes... The Evangelions and the Magi themselves are gonna squick her something fierce. Can you say 'Thinking Machines'? By the end, while she'll know that she's stuck with the Evas, you can bet that she's gonna be trying to figure out how to train up a Mentat.