Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worlds within worlds...
Worlds within worlds...
Hmmm. Kind of a warped thought for you--Doug jumping into 'virtual' worlds..that is, ending up in places like the Encom System (or the Kingdom Hearts variant. ;-) ), Mainframe, or the Matrix (on the *inside*, not out in the 'real world'). Come to think of it, Doug making comparisons between the two Hexes would be great by itself. ;-)
Re: Worlds within worlds...
I've toyed with the Matrix idea, but I really couldn't justify any way to make it work right. Plus the itinerary is pretty much set now.
Doesn't mean I can't use it for the Vacation, or maybe a Steplet somewhere, if I can figure out how to make it work without breaking any of my rules (or suspension of disbelief), and if I can come up with a short story plot that would work in that setting.
-- Bob
---------
Visit beautiful Boston, proud successor to Seattle as
"City Most Scared Of Its Own Shadow
You could do something like the old CG cartoon 'Reboot'. That would give you a 'world within a world' without requiring humanity to be batteries for the machine overlords. Also, you could also have Doug get into a game and the losing theme for the user be a gate song. The cast can be changed on a whim and it can go in anywhere you need him weirded out on the next jump.
For a gate song all you'd need is something he picked up somewhere where the song goes on about life from the side of the enemies in a game or something.
It's worth keeping in mind. Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Just to nitpick--I *did* mention Mainframe...
And the thing I had in mind with the Matrix probably came out unclear--he doesn't jump into the 'outside' world of the Matrix with what I had in mind, he jumps into the Matrix *itself*, for a lovely blurring of the line of simulation vs. pocket-universe...
Which is why I had problems justifying it -- the world inside the Matrix is nothing more than digital construct. The whole point is that it's an illusion, it doesn't exist. How can someone physically go there?
Yes, I could wave the "Gods" flag, or arbitrarily define a power, but the idea pushes willing suspension of disbelief so far that I can't suspend it enough to actually consider writing it. If Doug were to go to that world, he'd go the physical component -- Dead Earth, Zion, etc. Not the digital illusion.
-- Bob
---------
Well, that's kind of the point--with your logic, Doug could never go to the Encom System (Tron), Mainframe, or the like, because they were 'just digital constructs'. Then again, if you pay close attention to AMG and how they use Ygdrassil(sp?), the AMG setting is itself a similar construct, being seen from the inside...
Doug would register as a Rogue Machine/Program, Virus, or System Glich on the Matrix.
He could point out to those that escaped "The Matrix" that "Just because this reality has been artificially constructed doesn't make it any less real to those that live here."
I could see Doug, "hacking" an APU/squid for his own purposes.
Quote:
Just to nitpick--I *did* mention Mainframe...
Granted, however that could technically be justification to drop Doug in the middle of the Beast Wars, which would be random. Which is why I clarified, barring rambiling purposes.
With Reboot you could technically have it as a random thing where Doug goes into a computer, with 'Lightning's Hand' in order to stop someone from complaining about how every game on the computer is near impossible to beat. Reguardless of difficultly level, what game it is, or even if he uses cheat codes liberally. Taking 5 minutes to shut up a conspiracy theorist would be worth it after a while.
Also, with the speed of the system compared to the outside User world he could be in there for weeks before the song ends. That and the entertainment value of explaining exactly what it is that is beating him in games.
Come to think of it... he could do that as part of a job on a jump fixing computers.
Given the way things are, I could see the basic rules of the universe being such that Doug could jump into Mainframe, but not any of the others.
Why? Because if you ask me, users notwithstanding, the Mainframe 'level' is the central Reality from wich all others are derived. Something like the Matrix, on the other hand, isnt."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
All I have to add is a song: AC~DC, Who Made Who.
Just the thing.SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
AC/DC - Who Made Who - Targettable 'Info Dump' song, reveals creator/progenitor of target or nature of target.
If Doug is in a virtual/synthesized world this song will reveal it and provide a quick image of the current physical location of the main body.
If Doug is in the 'real' world, will provide a spectrum snapshot of this world. Unfortunately, he picked this song up after he left, so doesn't have a snapshot memorized of his home frame..
If Doug targets this song on a person/place/thing, reveals the nature of the person/place/thing, and it's creator (for conventional humans, snapshots the parents, for celestials.. either reveals their Superior, or fails with a barred door sense. For objects, snapshots the creator, for buildings, snapshots the _designer_)
I like that, I do.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Copy the idea to The Game, please, or I'm likely to forget about it the next time I do an update...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
Given the way things are, I could see the basic rules of the universe being such that Doug could jump into Mainframe, but not any of the others.
Why? Because if you ask me, users notwithstanding, the Mainframe 'level' is the central Reality from wich all others are derived. Something like the Matrix, on the other hand, isnt.
I have to agree. To my mind, Mainframe, the Net, and the Web are as physical as our world and the Users' realm is some unknowable alien overspace.
The User's actions just don't make any sense at all, you know what I mean? The Games are nonsensical by our standards, they're never repeated, a User win corrupts huge sections of Mainframe... it's a lot more like the workings of a mad childlike god than a dedicated human gamer. (Which, incidentally, makes it the perfect situation for Doug to get angry about. Smile )
--Sam
"Oo -- evil thought!"
I can see ruling out the Matrix with this. But I am curious as to the opinion on the Encom System (from Tron)--it's more like two universes connected by portals than anything else. And the paradigm both gets enforced and broken down at the same time if you've played Kingdom Hearts 2. (Now *there* would be an interesting place for Doug to hit...or for that matter, I wonder just what 'Simple and Clean' from KH1 and 'Sanctuary' from KH2 would do for him...insta-laundering and some form of protection, respectively? ;-) ) Also...if you notice, the one character that actually 'appears' in both worlds (Specifically, Alan in the real world and 'Alan-1' the User) is still very, very different--there's no reason why RL Alan would say the lines Alan-1 does.
Quote:
AC/DC - Who Made Who - Targettable 'Info Dump' song, reveals creator/progenitor of target or nature of target.
I like that, too. Well-designed power, not overwhelming, and delightfully off-kilter compared to the usual super-ability.
Kokuten gets today's "Made of Win" medal.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Quote:
But I am curious as to the opinion on the Encom System (from Tron)--it's more like two universes connected by portals than anything else.
Huh. I hadn't considered that. That's a really intriguing idea, that is, that Tron doesn't actually take place inside a computer, but in a pocket universe that maps to and has a reflexive relationship with a computer... the distinction is fine, but it's there. And how this came to be would be interesting to explore...
Quote:
And the paradigm both gets enforced and broken down at the same time if you've played Kingdom Hearts 2.
Oh, does Tron make an appearance in KH2, then? Interesting, but I guess I should have expected that given the Disney connection.
Quote:
for that matter, I wonder just what 'Simple and Clean' from KH1 and 'Sanctuary' from KH2 would do for him
The English version of the first has never suggested anything to me, really, and I haven't heard the second.

-- Bob
---------
Hee. You haven't played Kingdom Hearts 2 at all, then, Bob? ( I mean...Sanctuary is kinda hard to miss...)
Hmm. I'll try not to spoil too much, but the Tron world in KH2 has an interesting background in and of itself--it's a hacked *copy* of the original Encom system, tailored for the purposes of *Spoiler*. Sadly, the copy has Tron 2.0-based lightcycles instead of the originals. Undecided Also, the 'main' characters in that world (which are limited to Tron, Sark, and the MCP--all the others appearing there are KH-creations, including the 'costumes' for Sora, Donald, and Goofy. No Yori, waaah!) are more 'real-world-like' designs, similar to what was done with the Pirates of the Carribean world (based on the movie, with that swishiest of pirates, Jack Sparrow..), as opposed to the regular 'cartoonish' forms used elsewhere (including the Final Fantasy crossovers).
It seems to me that .hack's The World would be perfect made for this. After all there has been at least one case of someone becoming stuck in that virtual world (And I seem to recall that they weren't supposed to still be hooked up to the VR gear).
The background music might even be the first clue to him that something is different. Wide empty field, and from somewhere and nowhere a string quartet plays.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
But which version--the World, or the World 2 (Ie, original .hack series, or G.U.?) Though seeing Doug getting chased by Piro would be amusing for a stagger, at least. ;-) On the other hand, I wonder if Piro's theme song would set off a power. ;-)
Well, I'm really only familiar with the first show, so I don't know how much The World changed between the shows and the different manga and games.
But I just like the idea of the background music revealing things.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
Quote:
You haven't played Kingdom Hearts 2 at all, then, Bob?
Not at all. I own no gaming consoles, and I buy precious few games for my PCs -- City of Heroes/City of Villains was my only big gaming expenditure in the past five years or so.

-- Bob
---------