Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prophesy of the Walk?
Prophesy of the Walk?
I was flicking through the main DW page, when the random quote machine at the top pumped this out:

Eight gods there are I call my own:
Maiden, Warrior, Mother, and Crone,
Moments' Guardian, the Sun and her Bride
And the Witch who soars at lightning's side.

I can pretty much figure out seven of those referenced, but the problem is one of the gods in my mind could realistally fill two positions.

Hum... OK, maybe I have all eight. If anybody wants me to put down my guess for the gods mentioned I will, but you might want a go at it too.

Poor old Dougie Boy; he hates gods normally, but he seems destined to be stuck around a bunch of them for a long time. (Especially since he doesn't age[1] outside his normal[2] universe.)

[1] : Not since the end of DW2 at any rate. Any idea if this will last after Doug gets home?
[2] : OK, maybe I should have used native. No way is the Warriors World universe normal. It has Doug in it for crying out loud.
Re: Prophesy of the Walk?
Quote:
Sun and her Bride
*pikupiku* Himeko? Chikane?
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Re: Prophesy of the Walk?
Utena and Anthy?
--Sam
"For the revolution of the restaurant!"
hm
Warrior is the only one who throws me if Sun and Bride are Utena and Anthy... could warrior be Peorth or from one of the other Steps?
*Blinks*
No way.
Warrior is Sailor Moon!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: hm
Yeah, that's what got me. However I kinda thought the Warrior mentioned was actually Chris, given that the rest on that line match one of the traditional groupings for the Norns.
That makes you wonder who Moment's Guardian is though.
Sailor Moon does fit the description of warrior better, especially given the power she can produce if necessary. (We're talking about someone who either rewrote the history of the planet after killing an extremely powerful entity and resurrecting five planetary avatars, or completely screwed the time-space continuum to do the same.)
With Chris as the Warrior however, I went for Sailor Pluto as Moment's Guardian for a few reasons:
* Setsuna Meiou actually translates as Momentary Dark King (I think thats the spelling and translation).
* It is mentioned in the Manga that Pluto is the decendent of Hades (Granddaughter I think).
* Her possition is guardian of the gates of time.
I DID briefly toy with the idea of Shinji Ikari after Third Impact as the Warrior. I think Bob mentioned that Doug leaves a few months before Third Impact and we have no idea how that is going to play out after our friendly neighbourhood Loon has influenced the pilots.
Given Paradox's powerset, I'd argue that Moment's Guardian was his refference, myself.

"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.

Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
Given Paradox's powerset, I'd argue that Moment's Guardian was his reference, myself.
Particularly given that DW5, in Chapter 1, specifically refers to him as "the God of Moments." I'm pretty sure there's at least one other such reference in OMB, but I didn't bother locating it yet; I knew where the DW5 reference was. I sort of figured that pretty much automatically made him the "Moment's Guardian," unless the author, wicked creature that he is, is playing some sort of sneaky trick on us all.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Quick question... since when did any of the Sailor Moon cast qualify as full blown gods? O_o_______________________________
We are the swords in the darkness, the watchers on the walls. The fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn. The horn that wakes the sleepers. The shield that guards the realms of men. -The Brothers Black
Quote:
Quick question... since when did any of the Sailor Moon cast qualify as full blown gods?
Since Sailor Stars.
Considering that (spoiler) Sailor Moon caused a dozen or so freshly-soulless people to grow new souls, and undid all the death and property damage Galaxia caused without even needing to wave a hand, (end spoiler), I'd say she qualifies...
But is she the one mentioned in the couplet?

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Just as a point of information, in the original Japanese version of Sailor Moon, season one, there is a flashback to the Silver Millenium during which Queen Serenity (the Elder) flat out announces that she is an avatar of the Greek moon goddess Selene. Since we know nothing of the Princess's father, he could be an "ordinary" human, meaning Serenity the Younger (and thus Usagi) is at the very least a demigod.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
... I had a joke here that tied this to the Star Wars prequels to Parasite Eve by way of immaculate conception, but I think it's one of those jokes that only makes sense when you're half asleep, let alone being funny. Fortunately, I'd wandered off, gotten distracted, and fallen asleep without actually posting it.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
A kung-fu nun in a leather thong was no less extreme than anything else he had seen that day. - Rev. Dark's IST: Holy Sea World
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
buh... just when you think you knew a series and its fandom.... strangely enough I never knew that. fact.. and friends who were fans of the series neglected to mention it :o
We are the swords in the darkness, the watchers on the walls. The fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn. The horn that wakes the sleepers. The shield that guards the realms of men. -The Brothers Black
It's certainly one of the things that never made it into the North American dub. I never knew about it until I got the boxed set of the uncensored subtitled first season from ADV a couple summers ago and watched the whole thing. It might take me a while, but I can try to go through it and find a specific episode reference if you like.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Nah no thank you Bob I was just wondering at the inclusion of the Sailor Moon cast as gods Big Grin
It was idle curiosity and hardly worth the effort for an episode by episode examination for the relevant details Smile Thanks very much for the offer of your time though, much appreciated indeed Smile_______________________________
The bit about Serenity the Elder being an avatar is news to me too and I thought I was reasonably familiar with the unbutchered Anime....
If you want something that shows why Usagi might qualify as a goddess I suggest the ending of the manga in paticular. She does god-like things like raising the dead and other assorted miracles before that, but during her final confrontation with Chaos and when the true nature of Chibi-Chibi is revealed you get a good idea of the true scope of Sailormoon's potential. At the end Mamoru even says something along those lines when he contrast his and the senshi's expected longlevity with Sailormoons true immortality.
just a comedic aside..
Quote:
final confrontation with Chaos and when the true nature of Chibi-Chibi is revealed
Shouldn't that be 'when the true nature of chibi-chibi is revealed, you know, the final confrontation with Chaos?'
-K, distrusts anything THAT cute.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
Shouldn't that be 'when the true nature of chibi-chibi is revealed, you know, the final confrontation with Chaos?'
While it happens all around the same time I was counting it as two seperate incidents. 'Chibi-Chibi's' flashbacks as one and Usagi solution for Chaos as another thing entirely. Things go slightly differntly in the manga and Chibi-chib is not the same as in the anime. Also Chaos is much more impressive in the manga in a lovecraftian sort of way.

Reading between the lines in DW5/OMB2 points to Mara and her Overself as the Warrior; Maiden, Mother, Crone, and Moment's Guardian are obvious; the Witch is Doug's commanding officer; that just leaves "the Sun and her Bride". The very phrase "her Bride" instantly brings Anthy (and therefore Utena as the Sun) to mind, though Prince Tenjou doesn't strike me as particularly linked to the Sun. (My other "instant impression" was along the lines of "Whenever the Moon isn't the Sun's sister, she tends to be the Sun's wife", but that bears out even more poorly, since Sailor Moon is very definitely heterosexual.)

"Maiden, Warrior, Mother and Crone" is from the Valdemar books, isn't it?
--Sam
"Smells like danger.  Or heavily fried food."

I don't know if it originates there, but it's certainly used there fairly extensively, and the wording "Maiden, Warrior, Mother, Crone" is used repeatedly in (and I think may be the title of) one of the "at the end of the book" songs.

(Which means that the possible tie-ins for DWI, if it ever gets written, could be very interesting... except for the fact that making any use of that, other than without Doug's knowledge, would almost require him to be more accepting of gods - and the Three in particular - by the end of it all, which we've seen he definitely isn't.)

Quote:The Wanderer wrote:
(Which means that the possible tie-ins for DWI, if it ever gets written, could be very interesting... except for the fact that making any use of that, other than without Doug's knowledge, would almost require him to be more accepting of gods - and the Three in particular - by the end of it all, which we've seen he definitely isn't.)
It is my understanding that DW I has already been written.  However Mrs. Lackey (or at least her lawyers) is "Anal Retentive" about the Copyright to the World in Question. So, DW I will not be published in any format at this time.

Quote:However Mrs. Lackey (or at least her lawyers) is "Anal Retentive" about the Copyright to the World in Question.

You malign Mrs. Lackey, sir!

well, tounge firmly in cheek there, but she has instituted a new policy which means all-green for DW1...

Quote:News: Concerning Fanfiction:

As you folks already know, my agent, Russel Galen, has in the past been opposed to fanfiction. However, he is also Cory Doctorow's agent now, and Cory is a persuasive little gnome.

As a result of this, I am happy to announce that we are officially permitting fanfiction to be licensed as derivative fiction under the Creative Commons umbrella.

What this means is: NO, you cannot make money on it. NO, you cannot self-publish a fanfiction novel of Valdemar (or any of my other stuff) and try and sell it on Amazon. And NO, I still am not going to read it, because I am already so far behind on my research reading I barely have time to read that.

But YES, you may write and post away, folks, so long as you license it as derivative and under Creative Commons. If it is anything other than PG-13, please take all the proper precautions to stick it somewhere that innocent souls won't be corrupted. Do not scare the children or the horses. Have fun!

http://www.mercedeslackey.com/news.html
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

And IIRC, when that fact was first announced here on these forums, Bob's reaction was (and this is not even very much of a paraphrase) "Does that mean I actually have to write it now?".

I was slightly surprised to read that, as I had also been under the impression that DWI had been completed before DWII was seriously begun and would just never have been released because of Misty's stance on the subject, but the fact remains.

To definitively answer this: Parts of DW1 are written. But not much. I know the outline of the plot, and numerous key events -- Doug's acquisition of detailed information on node magic, the siege of Demsbury and Doug's subsequent use of "This Corrosion", a certain semi-disastrous attempt to "eat" an entire node -- are locked down. As well as key characters and interactions. Basically, I found out about Lackey's 90's-vintage fanfiction stance before I got very far, and abandoned the project in favor of DW2.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Proginoskes Wrote:but that bears out even more poorly, since Sailor Moon is very definitely heterosexual.)

I get the feeling I hung out in a different Sailor Moon fandom than you did. '.'

-Morgan. Actually, being that certain that *any* of the main characters in Sailor Moon are heterosexual seems weird to me... o.O